The 2018-2019 Around the NBA thread

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chriss said something to Ibaka but Ibaka was not having it, at all. He popped up and started choking him. I'd be surprised if he gets less than 10 games for this. Here's video of it. The replay starts around the 36 second mark and that shows what got things going.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I wouldn't be surprised if the league suspends him for the remainder of the regular season. The Raptors have 14 games remaining.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here's another source, I have to laugh at the image preview for the video. It somehow catches the moment Ibaka pins Chriss to the basket. The camera angles make it hard to see how much happened but it's clear that Ibaka threw a few punches.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah...OK. I just read the caption. I wonder how this will play out in the long run?

He apparently went to talk to Draymond after finding out it had gone viral but Draymond had already left.

From what I've seen Draymond says he and Izzo used to argue all teh time when he was at MSU. I think he gets he's difficult

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
That was awesome lol

Chriss is such a worthless punk. I bet he trips over his own shoelaces all of the time.

I forgot to add him to my list of least favorite NBA players. He's awful but he has a really high opinion of himself. He seems really stupid.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if the league suspends him for the remainder of the regular season. The Raptors have 14 games remaining.

If this was Stern's NBA I'd agree. Silver will probably take his chewing gum and make him sit in the corner for 10 minutes. Hope I'm wrong, Ibaka should pay heavily for this one.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chriss is such a worthless punk. I bet he trips over his own shoelaces all of the time.

I forgot to add him to my list of least favorite NBA players. He's awful but he has a really high opinion of himself. He seems really stupid.

I'm not a Chriss fan, quite the opposite, but this one looks to be 99% Ibaka IMO.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right...and I couldn't care less.

Chriss is a punk who has been asking for a beat down for years.

Sure but Ibaka is a bigger punk who has been asking for a beat down for even longer. He flops and he cheap shots far more often than Chriss does IMO. Part of me was hoping Serge would connect on a punch or two so they could both pay a price.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a Chriss fan, quite the opposite, but this one looks to be 99% Ibaka IMO.

Completely agree. I mean there are fouls like this most games. Come on!

IIbaka was a punk and came up on him from behind.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If this was Stern's NBA I'd agree. Silver will probably take his chewing gum and make him sit in the corner for 10 minutes. Hope I'm wrong, Ibaka should pay heavily for this one.

I'm not sure why but I thought Rondo and Ingram had longer suspensions earlier this year but Rondo got 2 games and Ingram 4 so I think you're right. I can see Ibaka getting an Ingram like suspension but anymore than 5 games might be too high. We'll see how it plays out. Chriss will probably get 1 or 2 games, probably 1 for every 5 Ibaka gets.

I can agree with Silver running things a little looser than Stern because too often Stern was heavy handed but outside of Silver being swift in pushing Sterling out he hasn't done anything of note, good or bad, at this point. With him bringing high schoolers back to the league it's like he's undoing what Stern did in his later years.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Completely agree. I mean there are fouls like this most games. Come on!

IIbaka was a punk and came up on him from behind.

I think this is a rare instance where I don't blame the aggressor coming up from behind the other person. Chriss clearly said something to escalate this and while he didn't seem prepared for what came next he shouldn't have turned to walk away expecting nothing to come of it. I thought that was a punk move on it's own. Like the kid who picks fights in school because he knows it'll be broken up before anything happens.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I think this is a rare instance where I don't blame the aggressor coming up from behind the other person. Chriss clearly said something to escalate this and while he didn't seem prepared for what came next he shouldn't have turned to walk away expecting nothing to come of it. I thought that was a punk move on it's own. Like the kid who picks fights in school because he knows it'll be broken up before anything happens.
Chriss saying something doesn't justify Ibaka coming up from behind him and trying to choke him and throw punches at him. Ibaka would have been fully justified to go get in his face about it, but he immediately went beyond that point.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Here's another source, I have to laugh at the image preview for the video. It somehow catches the moment Ibaka pins Chriss to the basket. The camera angles make it hard to see how much happened but it's clear that Ibaka threw a few punches.

Ibaka is from Africa and someone who had a well documented rough upbringing.

Chriss should count his blessings that he’s not in a hospital bed right now even if he wasn’t the one in the wrong in this altercation.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chriss saying something doesn't justify Ibaka coming up from behind him and trying to choke him and throw punches at him. Ibaka would have been fully justified to go get in his face about it, but he immediately went beyond that point.

I believe he tried grabbing him before choking him. It's hard to tell with the speed everything happened but if you watch the Youtube video you can slow things down to half speed or a quarter speed to see things clearer. It all happened really quick though. What leads me to believe Ibaka was grabbing towards his collar is he clear has his collar a few seconds later, similar to how hockey players will grab on to someone's jersey to keep them there while throwing haymakers with their other hand. Basketball isn't hockey of course but it looked like Ibaka wanted a hockey fight.

I'm not trying to justify anything. This escalated extremely quick and while Ibaka acted like a thug it's not surprising that Chriss was involved in a skirmish like this since he seems to rub people the wrong way quite frequently. That doesn't mean he should be choked or punched in the back of the head though since he didn't do anything physical to warrant an attack like that. However when slowed down I don't think Ibaka acted like a crazed murderer going right at his throat trying to squeeze the life out of him so much as he was trying to grab a hold of his collar to keep him close to land some punches, both inexcusable but there's a difference between attempted murder and aggravated assault.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
attempted murder, aggravated assault. He barely hit him. I'm not condoning the conduct but is it really that big of a deal. Shake hands sit for a game or two and move on.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow some hate for Chriss, why? I mean he didn't do his career any favors by making some bad decisions while he was with us, we weren't winning with or without him. It did cost us a pick but by moving him, we eventually ended up with a better product in Johnson and got rid of Knight. Regardless of what Chriss said to Ibaka, that's all on Ibaka.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not trying to justify anything. This escalated extremely quick and while Ibaka acted like a thug it's not surprising that Chriss was involved in a skirmish like this since he seems to rub people the wrong way quite frequently. That doesn't mean he should be choked or punched in the back of the head though since he didn't do anything physical to warrant an attack like that. However when slowed down I don't think Ibaka acted like a crazed murderer going right at his throat trying to squeeze the life out of him so much as he was trying to grab a hold of his collar to keep him close to land some punches, both inexcusable but there's a difference between attempted murder and aggravated assault.

I didn't watch any of the game other than the clips. Like I said before, I lay virtually all of the blame on Ibaka for the incident itself and IMO there's no excuse for his reaction. But Chriss is one of the least liked players in today's game for a reason. I would not be at all surprised to learn that Chriss helped this along by earlier actions.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow some hate for Chriss, why? I mean he didn't do his career any favors by making some bad decisions while he was with us, we weren't winning with or without him. It did cost us a pick but by moving him, we eventually ended up with a better product in Johnson and got rid of Knight. Regardless of what Chriss said to Ibaka, that's all on Ibaka.

The vast majority of us here have put the blame on Ibaka. But Chriss has burned his bridges with a lot of fans, not just Suns fans. I don't blame him for what happened in Phoenix - we were the idiots that greatly over-drafted him so that's all on us. But if you aren't aware of his history instigating fights perhaps you should spend some Chriss time on YouTube. For such a nothing player, he's made quite a name for himself as a hothead and whatever word conveys "thug" (minus the racial overtones).

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The vast majority of us here have put the blame on Ibaka. But Chriss has burned his bridges with a lot of fans, not just Suns fans. I don't blame him for what happened in Phoenix - we were the idiots that greatly over-drafted him so that's all on us. But if you aren't aware of his history instigating fights perhaps you should spend some Chriss time on YouTube. For such a nothing player, he's made quite a name for himself as a hothead and whatever word conveys "thug" (minus the racial overtones).

Is he really that not-liked around the NBA? I think just because he was a Sun, we know a little more about him. Not much on youtube, just a few scuffles unless I missed a major "punches thrown fight" and such, but nothing as drastic as Ibaka's latest move.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard