I need to go camping

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That answers the question. Some of the people I talk to feel an obligation to go to their place simply because they have it and feel like they are wasting money if they dont use it. If you have a place you love and dont want to go anywhere else then its moot.

That us how my coworker describes his parents cabin. They didnt want to go anywhere else.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

that's the big one, they have a mortgage on it I am sure so then yeah, you are paying for it and might feel obligated. At the same time, you can always rent it out and it is a permanent asset, not a temporary one so while you are paying monthly, its not like its a subscription. There are much, much, much worse investments to make than real estate. To me its the best one to do.

OP
OP
Hollywood

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
that's the big one, they have a mortgage on it I am sure so then yeah, you are paying for it and might feel obligated. At the same time, you can always rent it out and it is a permanent asset, not a temporary one so while you are paying monthly, its not like its a subscription. There are much, much, much worse investments to make than real estate. To me its the best one to do.
Not only the mortgage but upkeep. One couple that I am specifically thinking about, I remember them talking about having to maintain their place...either paying someone to do it or doing it themselves during a trip up.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not only the mortgage but upkeep. One couple that I am specifically thinking about, I remember them talking about having to maintain their place...either paying someone to do it or doing it themselves during a trip up.

I figure if I had a place up north I'd be there minimum of once a month and would enjoy maintenance to it

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I stayed home this weekend and to be honest, it sucked. I didn't have my kids with me so I just laid around and watched narcos and did some chores. Woulda been far better off socializing with people in mexico.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't camp or spend time in the woods like I used to when I was younger and you'd always see idiots that leave their trash, don't put out their campfires completely, etc. The fact that people would trash a National Park by off-roading, camping illegally, cutting down trees, etc just disgusts me to no end. People are pigs.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/11/us/california-joshua-trees-cut-down-during-shutdown-trnd/index.html
I'd put a thousand bucks on it being destructive teenagers not understanding the consequences of what they are doing. I remember those days.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate leaving day

You must be registered for see images

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate leaving day

Awesome stuff BigRedRage.

I can't blame you for not wanting to leave.

OP
OP
Hollywood

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Going to get out at the end of the month. Don't know where yet but already told my boss I will be gone the 25th AND 26th. I had originally done it to force his hand in getting me some help but the more I think about it the more excited I am getting.

Right now I am thinking I will be going up north...somewhere around Williams. I have never been up there an would like to spend some time around water if anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
Going to get out at the end of the month. Don't know where yet but already told my boss I will be gone the 25th AND 26th. I had originally done it to force his hand in getting me some help but the more I think about it the more excited I am getting.

Right now I am thinking I will be going up north...somewhere around Williams. I have never been up there an would like to spend some time around water if anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.

White Horse Lake was nice back in 1986 (last time I was there) but it looks pretty developed now and maybe even overused. There are some spectacular hikes to the rim of nearby Sycamore Canyon.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know of much water up there outside of white horse lake and the reservoir in williams. Dogtown lake too.

I know a few people who grew up there and we used to camp a spot that they called the "lily pads". Real nice, wooded area with a swimming hole and waterfalls at certain times of the year. It is somewhere on south road, or at least thats what they all call the road. Not sure if that is the actual name. Its the main road in the middle of williams that heads off into the mountains.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
spent the weekend on the verde river, south of horshoe dam. @Hollywood camped at a spot I recommended to you before for fishing.

The dam was being let out, pretty cool to see.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/maUKsj7q28EvMdQ7A

You must be registered for see images attach

that one is edited.

This one isnt

There is a walkway under the horseshoe dam waterfalls when it is releasing: https://photos.app.goo.gl/iUa58zBoqjCSPfRZ9

OP
OP
Hollywood

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
spent the weekend on the verde river, south of horshoe dam. @Hollywood camped at a spot I recommended to you before for fishing.

The dam was being let out, pretty cool to see.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/maUKsj7q28EvMdQ7A

that one is edited.

This one isnt

There is a walkway under the horseshoe dam waterfalls when it is releasing: https://photos.app.goo.gl/iUa58zBoqjCSPfRZ9

Nice. Still haven't picked a place to go. Haven't really had time to look....or even officially take the days off. Got my truck working though.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Last minute camping trip. Flagstaff area. Suggestions? Drive up camping, forest preferred.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last minute camping trip. Flagstaff area. Suggestions? Drive up camping, forest preferred.
I've never camped Flagstaff, Williams once and it's a good spot but I don't know where it is. The locals there call it the Lily ponds. There are pools and the right time of year, waterfalls

Not camping but I recommend the Flagstaff lava tubes. Wear good shoes and bring flashlights or headlamps

While searching something else today I noted something about a hot spring by lake Mary I believe. Maybe it was mead. Not sure.

There are a lot of volcano trails like sunset crater I haven't done yet but really want to.

Good luck

Reactions: LVG

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I've never camped Flagstaff, Williams once and it's a good spot but I don't know where it is. The locals there call it the Lily ponds. There are pools and the right time of year, waterfalls

Not camping but I recommend the Flagstaff lava tubes. Wear good shoes and bring flashlights or headlamps

While searching something else today I noted something about a hot spring by lake Mary I believe. Maybe it was mead. Not sure.

There are a lot of volcano trails like sunset crater I haven't done yet but really want to.

Good luck

Thanks for the tip!

Ended up pitching camp about a mile or two from White Horse Lake. We were trying to go down to JD Dam, but just got tired of driving.

Nothing but the trees and stars. Kids had a blast; no one was around. It was cold at night (duh) but nice during the day. Plenty of wood to scavenge for fire. Will definitely go back; need to plan better next time.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the tip!

Ended up pitching camp about a mile or two from White Horse Lake. We were trying to go down to JD Dam, but just got tired of driving.

Nothing but the trees and stars. Kids had a blast; no one was around. It was cold at night (duh) but nice during the day. Plenty of wood to scavenge for fire. Will definitely go back; need to plan better next time.

Did you visit the lake? I just looked it up on maps and you can see rocks in it, must be really shallow or just was when that photo was taken.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
turns out google street view has taken photos of it. Pretty small lake:

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Did you visit the lake? I just looked it up on maps and you can see rocks in it, must be really shallow or just was when that photo was taken.

I didn't. I drove down there but the road between the forest service road I was on and the lake was closed (for no apparent reason - it was 100 feet to the lake and the road was fine, the other road was open but I would have had to drive a fair amount to get to it).

The kids were more than content to explore the forest and to help with camp.