I need to go camping

Discussion in 'Great Outdoors' started by Hollywood, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Hollywood

Hollywood is part black.

Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    I have been told that the downside to owning a cabin is that you always feel like you need to go there and so don't have the variety you would otherwise. I would be curious as to what you think on those lines.

I work with a guy that grew up going to a family cabin and says he wants a cabin for his family so I am guessing it is a mental thing.

2. Linderbee

Linderbee Let's GO, CARDINALS! Contributor

I would think it kind of depends on what you're looking for when you vacation. Do you want to see the world, travel, explore new things--or is your primary goal simply relaxation? I'm a mix of both (probably like most people), but I'm more the former instead of the latter.

3. BigRedRage

BigRedRage Clean Meat Contributor

It depends on how you are using the word "need"

I'll tell you this, I am going to Jamaica in march with coworkers who also earned the trip, they are all planning and preparing for that trip. They ask me if I am excited for it and I tell them I haven't even thought about it yet, Its not until late march and I am going to mexico this weekend. I'm going to take the trip, it is free, I will enjoy it but I spend every weekend on the beach so it is probably less exciting for me.

I do not "need" to go to my place in mexico, I just want to. Cabins require more work so maybe that is why they feel that way? I don't know. I can do all the travel I want even while having my place in mexico. It is all want, not need.

Now, may I do less stuff because I just want to go to my place in Mexico? yes. But, that is a choice and only a reflection of how much I enjoy being there.

4. BigRedRage

Id agree with this too. I plan to travel a lot but that is expensive, it costs me $100 round trip to spend a weekend in mexico. I do not believe this is hindering any of my other travel. Owning a cabin is different, unless you buy it cash, you now have a mortgage payment eating up a lot of your money.

I plan to have something up north though. Housing markets are out of control so I might just buy land and throw a trailer or a manufactured home on it for now.

5. Hollywood

Hollywood is part black.

That answers the question. Some of the people I talk to feel an obligation to go to their place simply because they have it and feel like they are wasting money if they dont use it. If you have a place you love and dont want to go anywhere else then its moot.

That us how my coworker describes his parents cabin. They didnt want to go anywhere else.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

6. BigRedRage

that's the big one, they have a mortgage on it I am sure so then yeah, you are paying for it and might feel obligated. At the same time, you can always rent it out and it is a permanent asset, not a temporary one so while you are paying monthly, its not like its a subscription. There are much, much, much worse investments to make than real estate. To me its the best one to do.

7. Hollywood

Hollywood is part black.

Not only the mortgage but upkeep. One couple that I am specifically thinking about, I remember them talking about having to maintain their place...either paying someone to do it or doing it themselves during a trip up.

8. BigRedRage

I figure if I had a place up north I'd be there minimum of once a month and would enjoy maintenance to it

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

9. Hollywood

Hollywood is part black.

I feel the same way. And if not me then family can use it for the low price of helping to maintain it.

10. BigRedRage

I stayed home this weekend and to be honest, it sucked. I didn't have my kids with me so I just laid around and watched narcos and did some chores. Woulda been far better off socializing with people in mexico.

11. MrYeahbut

MrYeahbut rilly bruh, rilly?? Contributor

12. BigRedRage

I'd put a thousand bucks on it being destructive teenagers not understanding the consequences of what they are doing. I remember those days.