Thoughts on the first round of the upcoming draft...

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Don't judge any rookie quarterback that goes to an offense that doesn't have it's act together.
Two OC's, one clown and one a rookie himself.
Our WR's were Fitz and undrafted rookies by the end.
Our TE was Gresham, the drive killing flag magnet
Our OL was completely absurd, changing lineups every week to include more and more guys who were on the street days before.
Never heard of an OL that went 0 for 5 on the season with every player on IR.

Hey, one of those OL was released in a fit of pique(?).

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The OL is tough because I don't have a good feel of how much the system is going to help it. Is the interior going to be more important than the tackles ala the Saints offense? Are tackles going to be asked to stone bull rushers and interior moves primarily so strength and size will be a priority? It is tough for me to try and project.

I think you look at what kind of players the OL coach likes. Maulers, brawlers, fighter types according to Max Starks who played for Kugler with the Steelers. Starks said he is an outstanding coach, probably only bettered by Mike Munchak.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Stopped reading after claiming that QB is set.

Rosen has shown way too little to pass up drafting a QB at #1 if there is someone who is worth the pick.

Rosen is a lesser talent that has not even looked good so far.

Drafting a QB #1 overall would be profoundly stupid for this organization, unless they could somehow prognosticate he would be a perennial all-pro. Since that's impossible, I'll fall back on drafting a QB #1 overall would be profoundly stupid for this organization.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
nice take chopper.

The weakness in first round oline talent kinda sucks this year....would be nice to see a guy slip and get him at 33... but as it stands I would prefer TE at 33, WR in round three...and OG in round four...or with a third round comp pick. I think thats where we find the best value this year.
Lots of good TE's, several with first round grades.

but as you mentioned,...trading back makes sense. If we can net another second round pick it would allow us to grab TE and WR both in that round which would be a nice influx of talent for our offense.
I like your take on this, trade down a few spots, Oakland maybe? Pick up another late 1st round pick of theirs & maybe a 2nd? Definitely a 1st, they have 3 first round picks. Then use that one on a WR or offensive lineman, then in the 2nd draft a tight end or cornerback. Lots of different ways they can do this. When free agency starts in march, depending on whom the cardinals sign, we will then know the way they will draft. They need help at CB, LB, OL, DL, WR & TE. Many good TE players we can grab in the 3rd & 4th rounds imo.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Is there any precedent for a team to trade the #1 pick back into the late single digits or mid-first round? The only one I can think of is when the Rams traded up for Goff (#15) and a bounty of other picks (2 2nds, 3rd, next year's 1st) for the #1 in 2016. Not an AZ snowball's chance we get that bounty since the QBs this year seem limited... just wondering if Keim can finagle his way into something decent since I'm not entirely sold on Bosa...

On another note - has there been a team recently that traded down multiple times in the same round? Maybe we can get value if we went from #1 to #4 and say, #4 to #7 while racking up more players... just a thought

Fwiw: That year there were real questions about both QBs, and yet, two teams paid a stiff price to get them

Haskins is regularly mocked in the top ten. I don't think it's a giant stretch to see him go 1st overall

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I like your take on this, trade down a few spots, Oakland maybe? Pick up another late 1st round pick of theirs & maybe a 2nd? Definitely a 1st, they have 3 first round picks. Then use that one on a WR or offensive lineman, then in the 2nd draft a tight end or cornerback. Lots of different ways they can do this. When free agency starts in march, depending on whom the cardinals sign, we will then know the way they will draft. They need help at CB, LB, OL, DL, WR & TE. Many good TE players we can grab in the 3rd & 4th rounds imo.

I don't see Oakland trading away any of their picks. They are sitting pretty at #4 IMO, they'll either be able to choose from Allen or Q. Williams.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Rosen's ceiling is much higher than "adequate starter"

There's also no reason at all for Arizona to draft a QB, not even in the later rounds. For starters, the QB class is dreadful. Dude's who're going to be drafted Day 2 are Day 3 picks in any other draft. Further, the team has a solid QB2 in Glennon already under contract. If we trade down and accumulate extra picks, that should be to create depth across both lines, WR, and LB. Drafting a QB this offseason is about the same priority as drafting a punter, kicker, or long snapper.

If Rosen flames out next season, we'd be in a position to draft a QB high in 2020, which is a far better QB class.
Tua from Alabama will be in that draft if Rosen doesn't work out next year. I believe Rosen will be fine though. Dude had no chance with our offensive line & play calling this yr.

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You guys are going to laugh at me but we should 100% take Kyler Murray and go all in with the Big 12 model. Trade Rosen for a player or picks and totally transform the offense.

The Clement hiring suggests we're sticking with Rosen, but I think Kingsbury needs an athletic QB who can rush and throw on the run. QB is the most important position and we need one on the same page as the HC.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You guys are going to laugh at me but we should 100% take Kyler Murray and go all in with the Big 12 model. Trade Rosen for a player or picks and totally transform the offense.

The Clement hiring suggests we're sticking with Rosen, but I think Kingsbury needs an athletic QB who can rush and throw on the run. QB is the most important position and we need one on the same page as the HC.

I probably wouldn't invest the number one overall pick on a player that could leave at any point to play baseball.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Your avatar says it all

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I probably wouldn't invest the number one overall pick on a player that could leave at any point to play baseball.

No, he's playing football. More guaranteed money in the first round.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it's pretty obvious he's using the NFL for leverage well not him but his super agent Scott Boris

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I think it's pretty obvious he's using the NFL for leverage well not him but his super agent Scott Boris
he only goes NFL if he gets drafted high enough to pay back the 5mil he was already given and still be rich. That isnt going to happen.

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Skip agrees with me. It took balls to hire Kingsbury. Now draft Murray. Rosen has decent value right now, perfect time to move him.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Good write up. Accurate assessment of realistic needs.

To bad there isn't really an OL difference maker like Quinton Nelson was. We'll have to find another sleeper there or just get David Johnson lucky again. I see Lindstrom going in the early 2nd rd., and that's where we'll target a WR imo.

Just maybe they'll move back more then once with some good offers.

I'd be happy with Devin White or the top 1-2 rated CB
in the 1st. I really like the idea of Bynes and White together in the middle.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

The Clement hiring suggests we're sticking with Rosen, but I think Kingsbury needs an athletic QB who can

The Air Raid doesn’t require a running QB, where is that coming from? It isn’t the RPO or the freaking wishbone.

Besides if this team drafted a 5’ 8/9 QB number 1 overall they’d deserve to be a laughing stock.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I am still trying to increase my knowledge of the air raid system. Because of the spread nature of the offense, mobility is handy to avoid the free rushers. However, I wonder if the ability to make pre snap determinations and quickly go progress through reads will be even more important. my guess is that it will as many college QBs don't have the time or circumstances to be able to develop these traits to a high level. This will be an interesting case study to see if the air raid system is held back by college QBs rather than being just an offense simple enough for them to succeed in.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to understand this. The consensus opinion is not drafting a quarterback.

However, if Rosen doesn't work out is everyone going to be happy going with Glennon and banking the Cardinals can draft a quarterback in 2020.

The Cardinals may not be equally bad in 2019 so they may not be in position to draft one early.

I'm not saying the Cardinals should draft a quarterback with the number 1 pick if the talent is not there but I think we need to keep an open mind about this.

I want to believe the Cardinals have solved their quarterback problem as much as anyone.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I want to understand this. The consensus opinion is not drafting a quarterback.

However, if Rosen doesn't work out is everyone going to be happy going with Glennon and banking the Cardinals can draft a quarterback in 2020.

The Cardinals may not be equally bad in 2019 so they may not be in position to draft one early.

I'm not saying the Cardinals should draft a quarterback with the number 1 pick if the talent is not there but I think we need to keep an open mind about this.

I want to believe the Cardinals have solved their quarterback problem as much as anyone.

Yes.
Neither of the first round QB's in this draft would have been selected before Josh Rosen last year. Thats a simple fact, they are not as talented at the QB position...murray is good, but the dude is only 5 foot 8...his measurables kill him.

next years draft class is going to have some better choices at the QB position, and the year after that some better choices still.
Considering everything Rosen had to contend with, the kid in all ways deserves another season to show he is the guy.

so right now the right thing to do is "assume" Rosen is the guy and continue to build the team around him. If it should turn out that he is in fact not the guy then we will have better choices at QB over the next couple of drafts than those who are available in 2019