Evaluating James Jones as acting GM

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Can't say I disagree, though at least with Oubre coming back, this can be seen as a lateral move, whereas with the Grizzlies leftovers they were getting last night, they basically were acquiring three more Troy Daniels...

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Can't say I disagree, though at least with Oubre coming back, this can be seen as a lateral move, whereas with the Grizzlies leftovers they were getting last night, they basically were acquiring three more Troy Daniels...
Yeah I like this trade a lot better.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There has been a lot of talk league-wide about James Jones just helping his buddy LeBron. I have no doubt Sarver has heard it. I remember him saying once that he regularly reads hoopsype. Maybe he did not want that accusation again. Or maybe once he read it and found out that LeBron had actually called James Jones, and Sarver was not happy about it.

I have given up being worried about Sarver's interference. It just is. It is now more interesting to see what he does and speculate why. I am not a Sarver fan, but if my owner hates the Lakers, I am ok with it.

That's a reasonable outlook, I think. Hoping for Silver to get involved is like wishing Santa Clause was real. It's not happening and anybody waiting on that is wasting their time. This is the team we have, the Phoenix Suns owned by Robert Sarver. I don't think he's going to do anything that stupid within the next month while waiting for the city council vote. That's part of why he blocked a deal from happening with the Lakers, even though there wasn't much of a deal to make if they weren't willing to trade one of their young players.

This was far from the worst trade we could have made. Who knows how Oubre and Rivers will pan out here but I'm open to giving them a chance because they have to contribute more than Ariza. If nothing else they aren't Igor's chosen ones so he shouldn't give them 30+ minutes a night if they aren't producing.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Many Laker's fans were convinced we were just going to waive Ariza so that the Lakers could sign him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Decent article, nothing new but a nice recap of sorts. I'd still like to know more of the reasoning behind waiving Canaan. He hasn't signed elsewhere and he hasn't drawn any interest either so what was the rush? I'd like to know why that happened when it did and how it did. It seemed like a good move, at the time, and then Booker got hurt and it looked questionable. The Suns social media teams also released positive stuff about thanking Canaan for his time here so if he was unhappy here and asked out that would seem odd. I guess we'll hear something or we won't and as more time passes it seems like we won't.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Decent article, nothing new but a nice recap of sorts. I'd still like to know more of the reasoning behind waiving Canaan. He hasn't signed elsewhere and he hasn't drawn any interest either so what was the rush? I'd like to know why that happened when it did and how it did. It seemed like a good move, at the time, and then Booker got hurt and it looked questionable. The Suns social media teams also released positive stuff about thanking Canaan for his time here so if he was unhappy here and asked out that would seem odd. I guess we'll hear something or we won't and as more time passes it seems like we won't.
I think the fact he hasn’t signed elsewhere is all the answer you need.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think it was because he sucked.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think the story about Canaan was not why we waived him, but why he was on the roster in the first place. I think we determined after his injury last year that we were going to give him a legit shot to make the team. He ended up starting because of our youth at pg. But the only reason he was on the roster was that we wanted to do him a favor after that injury.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I recall reading a short blurb that NAZ Suns have acquired Canaan, no idea what it portends for the main team.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I recall reading a short blurb that NAZ Suns have acquired Canaan, no idea what it portends for the main team.

I thought they traded the right to Canaan to San Antoni's G-League team.

EDIT:
The Suns acquired the returning player rights to forwards Livio Jean-Charles and Hollis Thompson from the Spurs in exchange for the returning player rights to guards Isaiah Canaan and Josh Gray.

https://northernarizona.gleague.nba.com/news/naz-suns-complete-trade-with-austin-spurs/

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not sure who gets credit here but the Suns did a great job of getting rid of the junk of "NBA" players we had.

Also Sarver is paying big $ to get them gone.

We actually have some NBA talent and some starter talent to surround Ayton, Booker and Warren.

The length we acquired this year is awesome. A tall and mobile center. A great wing in Bridges who plays D and shoots good. The trade that got rid of Ariza to bring in Oubre.

And lets hope Jackson can fix his outside shooting woes.

We have 7 solid players right there.

Mix in Crawford and Holmes, very good 2nd string players who provide a lot given their minutes played.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Bill Simmons is unarguably the most incompetent NBA "journalist"

That's an exaggeration, but I think it is true that he let his celebrity get to his head, and he's now more interested in getting his name out there than he is in knowing what he's talking about.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bill Simmons is unarguably the most incompetent NBA "journalist"

If you value solid information the best thing to do is to blacklist Bill Simmons.

He's not an NBA journalist anymore and hasn't been close to that since he left ESPN. Once he joined HBO and was cancelled within a month or two he hasn't done a lot of anything other than host a podcast. He's a fan with an audience. Calling him a journalist at this point is misrepresenting him.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's an exaggeration, but I think it is true that he let his celebrity get to his head, and he's now more interested in getting his name out there than he is in knowing what he's talking about.

Agreed when he was with ESPN he was pretty solid. Since then I think he is just trying to drive traffic to his portal by being over the top.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I'm not sure who gets credit here but the Suns did a great job of getting rid of the junk of "NBA" players we had.

Also Sarver is paying big $ to get them gone.

We actually have some NBA talent and some starter talent to surround Ayton, Booker and Warren.

The length we acquired this year is awesome. A tall and mobile center. A great wing in Bridges who plays D and shoots good. The trade that got rid of Ariza to bring in Oubre.

And lets hope Jackson can fix his outside shooting woes.

We have 7 solid players right there.

Mix in Crawford and Holmes, very good 2nd string players who provide a lot given their minutes played.

Yeah, really it's not a bad 9 man rotation - a little young and inexperienced. But there is definitely some talent there. Assuming the coaching and development is up to snuff, the future should be good. And maybe we can even add a couple more decent pieces in this next off-season. Certainly, we will have another probably high pick to do so, plus maybe add a decent FA... who will actually WANT to be here for more than just a paycheck.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well. The waiving of players gives me the impression that James Jones might understand how to put a roster together and the importance of team chemistry. McD was a former scout that looked at players more as individual talent. Just an initial take. Might not be correct.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Well. The waiving of players gives me the impression that James Jones might understand how to put a roster together and the importance of team chemistry. McD was a former scout that looked at players more as individual talent. Just an initial take. Might not be correct.

I think you are spot on. McD did not understand the human side of things. In my opinion, that was always his biggest weakness.

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
I think LeBron James Jones is doing an exceptional job, as reflected in the Suns' entry on BBRef: :mrgreen::sarcasm::mrgreen:

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think you are spot on. McD did not understand the human side of things. In my opinion, that was always his biggest weakness.
McD would look at the draft or free agency and get whatever deal he could find. I he had an empty spot, he might fill it with two or three players. If he could not decide between two players, he would get both. He also hung on to those players long after it was clear they were not working here. It was great for gathering assets but bad for developing chemistry. It produced a crowded roster of mediocre or young players without enough minutes to develop them.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Bump. It is Sunday the 23rd and an unnamed MGP has kept himself out of the news.

And the Suns won four in a row, lost a close game in triple overtime and came up short less than 24 hours later. A ray of Suns-shine. :)

Unfortunately, without the addition of a skilled distributor and a Head Coach who can react to situations and then create, we are (as everyone knows) not yet staffed to make too much happen.

But it feels better now than before.

Last edited: