Evaluating James Jones as acting GM

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here is some more to add to this evaluation...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Our GM made that mistake? Seems like it was Washington's management.

You must be registered for see images attach

Maybe it’s just me, but I like GMs who verify themselves what players they’re bringing on to their squad. But that’s just me.

If it comes out that Jones did verify that he was getting Dillon and Memphis did a last second switch, then that’s on Memphis and not Jones. But right now, the Suns look incredibly stupid to the rest of the league. They already looked stupid prior to tonight. They didn’t need another incident.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It's not something you see happen often but that doesn't change anything. The league could not approve the deal when it was reported so it was reported prematurely. It ended up falling apart once Memphis and Phoenix spoke. There was time for it to fall apart because everyone had to wait until it hit midnight at the league offices to approve the deal. It's definitely not common but it's not all on the Suns. It's like a few years back when DeAndre Jordan agreed to sign in Dallas but then backtracked and resigned with LA. That was something that never happened like that before but there was a lot of egg left on people's faces for reporting things as a done deal before they could actually be made official. It not happening often doesn't mean it can't happen.
Eh the only person with egg on their face in that scenario was deandre Jordan because he looked like an idiot. In this instance all three GMs look like idiots.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The irony in all of this is that Dillon Brooks is one of the expected early second round picks the Suns passed up to reach for Davon Reed (who is no longer in the league).

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe it’s just me, but I like GMs who verify themselves what players they’re bringing on to their squad. But that’s just me.

If it comes out that Jones did verify that he was getting Dillon and Memphis did a last second switch, then that’s on Memphis and not Jones. But right now, the Suns look incredibly stupid to the rest of the league. They already looked stupid prior to tonight. They didn’t need another incident.

And we did, it's just Woj jumped the gun. We didn't deal directly with Memphis because we weren't trading with Memphis, we were trading with Washington. That's not unusual in multiple team trades.

Town Drunk

Reaction score
This really makes me believe it was the tweets that uncovered the error, not the GMs figuring it out. Even worse.

Exactly. This blew up because the press got a hold of it and reported the names of the players. One of the GMs said “wait a minute.” Bush league.

Town Drunk

Reaction score
And we did, it's just Woj jumped the gun. We didn't deal directly with Memphis because we weren't trading with Memphis, we were trading with Washington. That's not unusual in multiple team trades.

Again, this is after the press started reporting about it. This should have been figured out prior to reports stating it’s a done deal.

Trifecta

Veteran
Reaction score
It was reported that all 3 teams had agreed to the trade in principle, meaning that that the Suns had agreed in principle without first clarifying the players they were receiving. Simple as that.

There is plenty of blame to go around but that is no excuse.

Last edited:

Town Drunk

Reaction score
Gambo just reported the Suns spoke several times with the Grizz about Dillon.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, this is after the press started reporting about it. This should have been figured out prior to reports stating it’s a done deal.

You're expecting our front office to keep Woj from reporting something he got from who knows where? We're barely competent at the best of times, not even ESPN or the best organization in the game can keep Woj from jumping the gun. That's been proven many times.

Town Drunk

Reaction score
You're expecting our front office to keep Woj from reporting something he got from who knows where? We're barely competent at the best of times, not even ESPN or the best organization in the game can keep Woj from jumping the gun. That's been proven many times.

No, I’m expecting the front office to know who they’re getting in a deal prior to the press reporting on it. I don’t think that’s too big of an ask.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I’m expecting the front office to know who they’re getting in a deal prior to the press reporting on it. I don’t think that’s too big of an ask.

Sorry, you're asking the impossible especially in a multi team deal. This trade wasn't announced. Woj has made a name for himself for being able to beat everyone else with leaked information. ESPN tried to stop him and failed, the NBA tried to stop him and failed so why in the world would you expect a rookie non-gm to be able to keep him from doing what has made him famous. They need to know who they're getting before they report it to the league office and before they announce it to the press, that's all they can control.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
This is a clown show. If this were a fantasy league I could see this happening but in the pros? Yikes, if I owned the team I would fire Jones right now

Town Drunk

Reaction score
Sorry, you're asking the impossible especially in a multi team deal. This trade wasn't announced. Woj has made a name for himself for being able to beat everyone else with leaked information. ESPN tried to stop him and failed, the NBA tried to stop him and failed so why in the world would you expect a rookie non-gm to be able to keep him from doing what has made him famous. They need to know who they're getting before they report it to the league office and before they announce it to the press, that's all they can control.

I think you’re missing the point. This was reported as a done deal. That all three teams had agreed on the deal. Woj reports rumors, yes. But this wasn’t a rumor, this was a trade agreed in principle and players were being informed that they were being traded. If you’re at that point, you should know who you’re getting in the deal.

https://dailymemphian.com/section/s...The-Grizzlies-trade-that-didnt-happen-and-why

Matt L

Reaction score
This is a clown show. If this were a fantasy league I could see this happening but in the pros? Yikes, if I owned the team I would fire Jones right now

And truthfully, I have never seen this happen in a fantasy league!

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kinda hard to do when the press is leaking info before the deal is finanalized.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think you’re missing the point. This was reported as a done deal. That all three teams had agreed on the deal. Woj reports rumors, yes. But this wasn’t a rumor, this was a trade agreed in principle and players were being informed that they were being traded. If you’re at that point, you should know who you’re getting in the deal.

https://dailymemphian.com/section/s...The-Grizzlies-trade-that-didnt-happen-and-why
But the press was obviously wrong. It was not a done deal.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It has gotten to the point that I almost welcome each incident of Sarver's 3-ring circus.

At least, now the whole country knows that he and the inexperienced people he hires and fires are hurting the image of the NBA.

I'm just waiting for Silver to call a meeting of the owners, then the headline, "SILVER DUMPS SARVER".

Matt L

Reaction score
I think you've got to give up this dream. The Clippers guy was inept for over 20 years, the Knicks have been worse then us since 2000 and do not look like they are getting better. Unless there's a recording of Sarver saying awful things or doing something illegal, they aren't going to force him to sell.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I think you've got to give up this dream. The Clippers guy was inept for over 20 years, the Knicks have been worse then us since 2000 and do not look like they are getting better. Unless there's a recording of Sarver saying awful things or doing something illegal, they aren't going to force him to sell.
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" from the Broadway musical Man of La Mancha.

I referred to myself as Don Quixote (dueling windmills for his fair maiden) when I sent Letters to the Editor at AzCentral.com/AzRepublic, as well as their columnist Bickley; Sarver's co-owners; Adam Silver; and Jerry Colangelo (who responded to me).

I will keep dreaming the impossible dream. And I do think Sarver, his incompetent staff and our team's performance is now getting the attention of the NBA and its owners. Keep the faith, Baby!

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
It doesn't matter who made the mistake. The suns look like a bunch of buffoons and this doesn't help.

We have a GM whose biggest accomplishment is signing Crawford. Now we can add being involved in a non trade trade for the wrong player, (maybe the first of its kind in NBA history).

This doesn't do anything to build confidence or improve the team. On the other hand, the trade probably wouldn't have helped much either.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
If this happened to Colangelo's team we would all be calling Memphis a bunch of crooks and idiots.

The track record of Sarver and Co. makes it hard to believe they weren't at least partially to blame.

anyway, who really cares? It's not like that trade was a huge deal. One non-producing expiring contract for a few smaller non-producing contracts.

It seems to me we should be packaging players and or picks with Ariza to get a player that can make a difference, instead of doing all of this to save a couple million bucks.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave