Evaluating James Jones as acting GM

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sure but what team out there was willing to eat that salary for a mediocre backup big man in total coast mode and on the decline? Supposedly we were looking for a trade partner for a season and a half with no takers. Getting him and then Ariza off the roster are huge plusses in my book even if we hadn't netted Oubre from one of those moves.

Yeah, I’m saying I would have liked to get something, which would have made it a great move for an inherited problem, but instead it’s a fine move under the circumstances.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Back to evaluating Jones. He seems to have a bit of a knack for putting together a cohesive team, of course that might be Igor making lemonade out of lemons too.

1. Waived TC. Good move. We were not just going to trade him anywhere. He needed to be gone.
2. Cut Canaan.
3. Traded Ariza for Oubre. Great deal in retrospect.
4. Did not let Rivers near this team. I though, basketball wise, Rivers would be useful, but if he would be a locker room distraction, it goes with JJs MO of thinking about team.

Interesting so far.

We now have a team with a defensive identity. We have three long wings in Bridges, JJ, and Oubre who can guard the 1-4 positions.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back to evaluating Jones. He seems to have a bit of a knack for putting together a cohesive team, of course that might be Igor making lemonade out of lemons too.

1. Waived TC. Good move. We were not just going to trade him anywhere. He needed to be gone.
2. Cut Canaan.
3. Traded Ariza for Oubre. Great deal in retrospect.
4. Did not let Rivers near this team. I though, basketball wise, Rivers would be useful, but if he would be a locker room distraction, it goes with JJs MO of thinking about team.

Interesting so far.

We now have a team with a defensive identity. We have three long wings in Bridges, JJ, and Oubre who can guard the 1-4 positions.

I would also add the Crawford signing.

I'd be more enthusiastic about number 3 if the Suns had been targeting Oubre all along.

Still no complaints about Jones thus far.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would also add the Crawford signing.

I'd be more enthusiastic about number 3 if the Suns had been targeting Oubre all along.

Still no complaints about Jones thus far.
The second deal was better than the first. He took advantage of a major snafu on the part of the Wizards. To me, I am MORE enthusiastic about his ability to make something good happen on the fly.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The second deal was better than the first. He took advantage of a major snafu on the part of the Wizards. To me, I am MORE enthusiastic about his ability to make something good happen on the fly.
I suppose he gets credit there, but it seems more luck than skill in that instance. And that’s his greatest achievement to date imo.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
One thing I'll give it up for Jones is patience. He's sure got a lot more patience than most of us fans. He hasn't made a panic move. That's for sure.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
One thing I'll give it up for Jones is patience. He's sure got a lot more patience than most of us fans. He hasn't made a panic move. That's for sure.
GMs who don’t have more patience than fans generally don’t last very long if at all.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No doubt getting Oubre for Ariza trade was a nice pickup during the season. Now let's see what happens before the trade deadline.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
No doubt getting Oubre for Ariza trade was a nice pickup during the season. Now let's see what happens before the trade deadline.
With the team playing more on an even keel as of late I won’t be surprised if the suns remain quiet at the deadline.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Yeah Bill Simmons is probably one of the most overrated basketball guys in the media. This is pretty entertaining for good measure;

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yikes. I forgot that guy existed. I thought he was funny back in 2003, but he turned out to be such a moron that I stopped following him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm concerned that James Jones is putting all of his marbles in free agency. The Suns are not invested in scouting and reportedly Jones does not have many connections with other GMs which would assist in making a trade.

Also the Suns are said to be sellers at the trade deadline and per rumors, Sarver wanted Warren moved last summer. I'm hoping the Suns do not have a fire sale and get expiring contracts in return.

With the Suns not invested in the draft and the desire to clear money, with no guarantee of a star in return, it's a dangerous path the Suns are traveling.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I'm concerned that James Jones is putting all of his marbles in free agency. The Suns are not invested in scouting and reportedly Jones does not have many connections with other GMs which would assist in making a trade.

Also the Suns are said to be sellers at the trade deadline and per rumors, Sarver wanted Warren moved last summer. I'm hoping the Suns do not have a fire sale and get expiring contracts in return.

With the Suns not invested in the draft and the desire to clear money, with no guarantee of a star in return, it's a dangerous path the Suns are traveling.

Eh, while I think you are right, I don't think it's that dangerous. The worst case scenario- they can overpay a competent point guard and probably a big man, which will make the team watchable while the young kids develop.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh, while I think you are right, I don't think it's that dangerous. The worst case scenario- they can overpay a competent point guard and probably a big man, which will make the team watchable while the young kids develop.

It's the Suns lack of scouting and betting on free agency that concerns me the most. Even the Ariza trade which yielded Oubre contained an element of luck. He was not their original target.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It's the Suns lack of scouting and betting on free agency that concerns me the most. Even the Ariza trade which yielded Oubre contained an element of luck. He was not their original target.
That's not entirely accurate. Washington wanted draft picks -- which we weren't going to give. Memphis was, so they decided Oubre would go there for picks. I think the #1 thing about this trade was not the acquisition of Brooks for us, it was getting rid of Ariza. Brooks was just an acceptable return.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That's not entirely accurate. Washington wanted draft picks -- which we weren't going to give. Memphis was, so they decided Oubre would go there for picks. I think the #1 thing about this trade was not the acquisition of Brooks for us, it was getting rid of Ariza. Brooks was just an acceptable return.
What’s not accurate? Oubre wasn’t our initial target.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
What’s not accurate? Oubre wasn’t our initial target.
How do you know that? We could have asked for Oubre, Washington said, ok, give us draft picks. We said no, then Washington got Memphis involved. The whole point of our involvement was getting rid of Ariza. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if we didn't much care what we got back. Once the deal with Memphis involved got broken, Washington was so desperate to get rid of Rivers and get Ariza, they probably reluctantly gave up Oubre.

Who knows? Our original ask to Washington could have been some form of Ariza for Oubre.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
How do you know that? We could have asked for Oubre, Washington said, ok, give us draft picks. We said no, then Washington got Memphis involved. The whole point of our involvement was getting rid of Ariza. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if we didn't much care what we got back. Once the deal with Memphis involved got broken, Washington was so desperate to get rid of Rivers and get Ariza, they probably reluctantly gave up Oubre.

Who knows? Our original ask to Washington could have been some form of Ariza for Oubre.
I suppose that’s true. It could have been the case. We have zero actual insight into that, but we do know the original deal that was agreed (sort of) upon didn’t have us thinking we were getting oubre and the suns were okay with that.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We also don't know how long the Grizzlies and Wizards had a deal in the works sending them Oubre. Perhaps they had that lined up before we got involved. Considering the reports how the Suns had Dillon Brooks' medical records for a week or so prior to that trade it wouldn't be surprising to learn that Oubre was never an option for the Suns because the deal was built as Brooks to Phoenix, Ariza to Washington, and the Suns didn't really know what Washington was sending to Memphis for us to get Brooks. That part of things wouldn't matter much to us and once it came out Oubre was an option perhaps that also helped break things down and led to the deal that happened with Oubre to Phoenix.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I suppose that’s true. It could have been the case. We have zero actual insight into that, but we do know the original deal that was agreed (sort of) upon didn’t have us thinking we were getting oubre and the suns were okay with that.
They accepted it, but there's no indication they were OK with it... ;)

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

It sounds like Ayton may have been a McD pick and that Doncic would have been Jones' pick was it up to him. I may be reading this all wrong as well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When looking to evaluate James Jones I find the following comments provide some insight in how he views the NBA landscape.

At the trade deadline he was not "not pressing to do anything."

Here are a couple excerpts from an article linked below:

“If you do something because you feel pressure — you do something short-sighted — it always ends up coming to bite you in the end,” he said.

“The reason a lot of these players are available is because their teams don’t think they fit long-term. Your teams think those guys are declining in value and so they’ll try to push them upon you and if you’re desperate and they know that’s something that you need they’re hopeful that they can trick you into setting yourself up for short-term success but long-term failure.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“It’s very, very hard to project or to say that we’ll be able to add a player that fits with us long-term via trade,” Jones said. “It’s just not something teams are looking to do, where they’re looking to get rid of good players and help us grow.”

By Kellan Olson | January 23, 2019 at 3:44 pm
UPDATED: January 23, 2019 at 6:58 pm

http://arizonasports.com/story/1815...approaching-suns-not-pressing-to-do-anything/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above comments suggest to me that Jones will be careful and thoughtful when it comes to trades and free agency.

His use of the word "trick" really sticks with me. Jones is unlikely to make any rash decisions which is comforting.

On the flip side, I wonder how aggressively he will pursue a trade.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
When looking to evaluate James Jones I find the following comments provide some insight in how he views the NBA landscape.

At the trade deadline he was not "not pressing to do anything."

Here are a couple excerpts from an article linked below:

“If you do something because you feel pressure — you do something short-sighted — it always ends up coming to bite you in the end,” he said.

“The reason a lot of these players are available is because their teams don’t think they fit long-term. Your teams think those guys are declining in value and so they’ll try to push them upon you and if you’re desperate and they know that’s something that you need they’re hopeful that they can trick you into setting yourself up for short-term success but long-term failure.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“It’s very, very hard to project or to say that we’ll be able to add a player that fits with us long-term via trade,” Jones said. “It’s just not something teams are looking to do, where they’re looking to get rid of good players and help us grow.”

By Kellan Olson | January 23, 2019 at 3:44 pm
UPDATED: January 23, 2019 at 6:58 pm

http://arizonasports.com/story/1815...approaching-suns-not-pressing-to-do-anything/

The above comments suggest to me that Jones will be careful and thoughtful when it comes to trades and free agency.

His use of the word "trick" really sticks with me. Jones is unlikely to make any rash decisions which is comforting.

On the flip side, I wonder how aggressively he will pursue a trade.

I am afraid these are the words of someone who plans to build almost exclusively through the draft, as his reasoning here applies equally to teams that are willing to let free agents walk or free agents that will try to "trick" you into overpaying. This approach is destined to fail miserably.

I agree that no moves should be made rashly or out of desperation, but just standing pat and hoping against hope that a competitive team can be built exclusively through the draft is beyond naive and passive.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1Sun, I got exactly the opposite impression.

Jones doesn't sound like a build through the draft guy but a GM who is going to be very thought in every move he makes because he knows the dangers involved in making trades.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

It sounds like Ayton may have been a McD pick and that Doncic would have been Jones' pick was it up to him. I may be reading this all wrong as well.
I totally get what James Jones is saying. Come the fourth quarter, these guys have the ball in their hands the whole time anyway. They become the defacto point guards. Kobe was the same way in the fourth quarter. Really, aside from when Harden is on the bench, how much do you really need CP3 to start the offense for Houston?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson