Dr. Seuss' The Grinch

Release date: November 9, 2018
Studio: Universal Pictures, Illumination Entertainment
Directors: Yarrow Cheney, Scott Mosier
MPAA Rating: PG (for brief rude humor)
Screenwriters: Michael LeSieur, Tommy Swerdlow
Genre: Comedy, Animation, Family

Starring: Benedict Cumberbatch

Plot Summary: For their eighth fully animated feature, Illumination and Universal Pictures present "The Grinch," based on Dr. Seuss' beloved holiday classic. "The Grinch" tells the story of a cynical grump who goes on a mission to steal Christmas, only to have his heart changed by a young girl's generous holiday spirit. Funny, heartwarming and visually stunning, it's a universal story about the spirit of Christmas and the indomitable power of optimism.

Academy Award nominee Benedict Cumberbatch lends his voice to the infamous Grinch, who lives a solitary life inside a cave on Mt. Crumpet with only his loyal dog, Max, for company. With a cave rigged with inventions and contraptions for his day-to-day needs, the Grinch only sees his neighbors in Who-ville when he runs out of food.

Each year at Christmas they disrupt his tranquil solitude with their increasingly bigger, brighter and louder celebrations. When the Whos declare they are going to make Christmas three times bigger this year, the Grinch realizes there is only one way for him to gain some peace and quiet: he must steal Christmas. To do so, he decides he will pose as Santa Claus on Christmas Eve, even going so far as to trap a lackadaisical misfit reindeer to pull his sleigh.

Meanwhile, down in Who-ville, Cindy-Lou Who—a young girl overflowing with holiday cheer—plots with her gang of friends to trap Santa Claus as he makes his Christmas Eve rounds so that she can thank him for help for her overworked single mother. As Christmas approaches, however, her good-natured scheme threatens to collide with the Grinch's more nefarious one. Will Cindy-Lou achieve her goal of finally meeting Santa Claus? Will the Grinch succeed in silencing the Whos' holiday cheer once and for all?

Find out, Christmas season 2018.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't do it. We went to see it because we were watching my 9 year old nephew this weekend. My god that was painful to watch! I love the old Grinch movie and cartoon. Man did they butcher it this time! Maybe if you had a 5 year old it would be worth it.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Don't do it. We went to see it because we were watching my 9 year old nephew this weekend. My god that was painful to watch! I love the old Grinch movie and cartoon. Man did they butcher it this time! Maybe if you had a 5 year old it would be worth it.

How was is so bad?

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I thought it was decent. Not hilarious but a decent rendition of The Grinch. My kids liked it

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it was decent. Not hilarious but a decent rendition of The Grinch. My kids liked it

Same here. Thought it was a decent "modernized" adaptation. My wife liked it, but she has never seen the original or any of the multiple remakes. I have seen a few different versions and thought it was fine.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We threatened my kids (12 and 14) that we would take them to see this again if they didn't clean their rooms. Needless to say their rooms are spotless now.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I thought this was okay but didn’t like that they moved away from a lot of Seuss nonsense words to more mainstream. Also hated that they redid the song. The Grinch song is iconic and should never be redone. Get off my damn lawn!

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Movie was entertaining. My daughter liked it. However, the live action version is still my favorite far and away.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Movie was entertaining. My daughter liked it. However, the live action version is still my favorite far and away.

You think that Jim Carey abortion of a movie is better than the original Grinch cartoon? Post about all the movies you love, please, so I don't waste my time watching them!

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You think that Jim Carey abortion of a movie is better than the original Grinch cartoon? Post about all the movies you love, please, so I don't waste my time watching them!

Yes. It’s the best version. It’s a classic regardless if you like it or not. Plus I am pretty sure if listed all the movies I love you would be stuck watching Mac and Me.

Just because that’s my favorite version doesn’t mean I don’t love the original too. Too bad you can’t watch it anymore. [emoji23]

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yes. It’s the best version. It’s a classic regardless if you like it or not. Plus I am pretty sure if listed all the movies I love you would be stuck watching Mac and Me.

Just because that’s my favorite version doesn’t mean I don’t love the original too. Too bad you can’t watch it anymore. [emoji23]
I can see why you like the movie, but to call it a classic is WAY over the top. :)

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can see why you like the movie, but to call it a classic is WAY over the top. :)

How so? The movie is still massively popular and it’s already been 18 years. You know how many Christmas movies have came and went during that time and I never see them broadcast....ever?

My youngest never heard of JC and watched the original first. It’s one of her favorite movies. I have have friends with kids the same age as my youngest and they say the same thing.

Honest question. What qualifies as a classic?

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Honest question. What qualifies as a classic?
It's A Wonderful Life
A Christmas Carol(Alister Simm version)
Miracle on 34th Street-original
Home Alone
The Santa Clause
The Polar Express
White Christmas
A Christmas Story
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
Scrooged

Just to name a few. The live action Grinch isn't even in the same ballpark as these movies.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It's A Wonderful Life
A Christmas Carol(Alister Simm version)
Miracle on 34th Street-original
Home Alone
The Santa Clause
The Polar Express
White Christmas
A Christmas Story
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
Scrooged

Just to name a few. The live action Grinch isn't even in the same ballpark as these movies.
Santa Clause and Polar Express are debatable, but that's a good list.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not my question. Lists are subjective. I want to know what qualifies something as a classic and I agree that both of those two movies are also classics.

Just curious everyone’s take on that.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Not my question. Lists are subjective. I want to know what qualifies something as a classic and I agree that both of those two movies are also classics.

Just curious everyone’s take on that.
Well made, well-acted, universally beloved. I think maybe one of those 3 apply to the Carrey Grinch. It's also a remake of a superior product.

But you're right, this is all opinion. That movie simply doesn't belong in a list of Christmas classics, IMO. But there are plenty of Christmas movies that aren't "classics" but are enjoyable to watch: Arthur Christmas, The Holiday, Bad Santa -- all are ok to good movies, but hardly "classics".

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I loved the live action version of the Grinch. It's one of my favorites as well.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well made, well-acted, universally beloved. I think maybe one of those 3 apply to the Carrey Grinch. It's also a remake of a superior product.

But you're right, this is all opinion. That movie simply doesn't belong in a list of Christmas classics, IMO. But there are plenty of Christmas movies that aren't "classics" but are enjoyable to watch: Arthur Christmas, The Holiday, Bad Santa -- all are ok to good movies, but hardly "classics".

For me it’s longevity, popularity and love of the movie that spans multiple generations. I think it checks all those boxes easily. Almost 20 years later new generations of kids love it.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just can’t get over the monsters they animated to vaguely resemble kids.

It’s a shame the animation wasn’t better but the story was great. Animation is sooooo much better now.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose