Dr. Seuss' The Grinch

Discussion in 'Movies and Entertainment' started by Brian in Mesa, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa BIM™ Contributor

Dr. Seuss' The Grinch

Release date: November 9, 2018
    Studio: Universal Pictures, Illumination Entertainment
    Directors: Yarrow Cheney, Scott Mosier
    MPAA Rating: PG (for brief rude humor)
    Screenwriters: Michael LeSieur, Tommy Swerdlow
    Genre: Comedy, Animation, Family

Starring: Benedict Cumberbatch

Plot Summary: For their eighth fully animated feature, Illumination and Universal Pictures present "The Grinch," based on Dr. Seuss' beloved holiday classic. "The Grinch" tells the story of a cynical grump who goes on a mission to steal Christmas, only to have his heart changed by a young girl's generous holiday spirit. Funny, heartwarming and visually stunning, it's a universal story about the spirit of Christmas and the indomitable power of optimism.

Academy Award nominee Benedict Cumberbatch lends his voice to the infamous Grinch, who lives a solitary life inside a cave on Mt. Crumpet with only his loyal dog, Max, for company. With a cave rigged with inventions and contraptions for his day-to-day needs, the Grinch only sees his neighbors in Who-ville when he runs out of food.

Each year at Christmas they disrupt his tranquil solitude with their increasingly bigger, brighter and louder celebrations. When the Whos declare they are going to make Christmas three times bigger this year, the Grinch realizes there is only one way for him to gain some peace and quiet: he must steal Christmas. To do so, he decides he will pose as Santa Claus on Christmas Eve, even going so far as to trap a lackadaisical misfit reindeer to pull his sleigh.

Meanwhile, down in Who-ville, Cindy-Lou Who—a young girl overflowing with holiday cheer—plots with her gang of friends to trap Santa Claus as he makes his Christmas Eve rounds so that she can thank him for help for her overworked single mother. As Christmas approaches, however, her good-natured scheme threatens to collide with the Grinch's more nefarious one. Will Cindy-Lou achieve her goal of finally meeting Santa Claus? Will the Grinch succeed in silencing the Whos' holiday cheer once and for all?

Find out, Christmas season 2018.

2. Stout

Stout I gave my cards a victory...

Dear God in Heaven, no.

3. Brian in Mesa

Ha !! Going to see this tonight. Wife has wanted to see it since we first saw a trailer for it in the theaters.

4. MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease Moderator Contributor

Don't do it. We went to see it because we were watching my 9 year old nephew this weekend. My god that was painful to watch! I love the old Grinch movie and cartoon. Man did they butcher it this time! Maybe if you had a 5 year old it would be worth it.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Site Owner Administrator Staff Member

How was is so bad?

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Site Owner Administrator Staff Member

I thought it was decent. Not hilarious but a decent rendition of The Grinch. My kids liked it

7. Brian in Mesa

Same here. Thought it was a decent "modernized" adaptation. My wife liked it, but she has never seen the original or any of the multiple remakes. I have seen a few different versions and thought it was fine.

8. MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease Moderator Contributor

We threatened my kids (12 and 14) that we would take them to see this again if they didn't clean their rooms. Needless to say their rooms are spotless now.

Stout likes this.
  9. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

I thought this was okay but didn’t like that they moved away from a lot of Seuss nonsense words to more mainstream. Also hated that they redid the song. The Grinch song is iconic and should never be redone. Get off my damn lawn!

cardncubfan likes this.
  10. Passepartout

Passepartout Times for Christmas

Want to see this. As really movie makers and reading the book are not the same unfortunately.

11. Covert Rain

Covert Rain Father smelt of elderberries!

Movie was entertaining. My daughter liked it. However, the live action version is still my favorite far and away.

MadCardDisease likes this.
  12. Stout

Stout I gave my cards a victory...

You think that Jim Carey abortion of a movie is better than the original Grinch cartoon? Post about all the movies you love, please, so I don't waste my time watching them!

13. Covert Rain

Yes. It’s the best version. It’s a classic regardless if you like it or not. Plus I am pretty sure if listed all the movies I love you would be stuck watching Mac and Me.

Just because that’s my favorite version doesn’t mean I don’t love the original too. Too bad you can’t watch it anymore.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    MadCardDisease likes this.
  14. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

I can see why you like the movie, but to call it a classic is WAY over the top. :)

15. Covert Rain

How so? The movie is still massively popular and it’s already been 18 years. You know how many Christmas movies have came and went during that time and I never see them broadcast....ever?

My youngest never heard of JC and watched the original first. It’s one of her favorite movies. I have have friends with kids the same age as my youngest and they say the same thing.

Honest question. What qualifies as a classic?