Nets @ Suns 11-6- 18

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Doncic has not even be a positive on the court despite starting hot shooting and is a turnover machine.

The rest of his team sucks. He's a great player and playmaker. Playmakers average more turnovers trying to make plays. What excuse do we have for all our turnovers? The Mavs won tonight in a blowout with him putting up 23, 6, and 3. He's a winner. He's won on every team he's been on. Would you rather watch losses with ayton putting up numbers that dont contribute to wins?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We get it you don't like him. Your starting to sound like Mitch with his Peterson obsession.

I don't think it's anything like Mitch and his Peterson microscope. Ayton shows great potential but he does some really clueless things out there that really stand out. And when we have a bad game, his flaws usually have a lot to do with the outcome. But I think most of us realize we didn't draft Ayton for what he can do today.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rest of his team sucks. He's a great player and playmaker. Playmakers average more turnovers trying to make plays. What excuse do we have for all our turnovers?

How about the rest of our team sucks even more than the rest of Doncic's team, and by quite a bit IMO. Especially since Booker isn't up to speed yet having missed so much time (offseason, preseason, and a week of the regular season).

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How about the rest of our team sucks even more than the rest of Doncic's team, and by quite a bit IMO. Especially since Booker isn't up to speed yet having missed so much time (offseason, preseason, and a week of the regular season).

Ya our motion offense has led to terrible turnovers. It's not a good fit for our team. But Doncic would be better in this system than Ayton. It pretty much negates him, as does his passive playing style.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
We get it you don't like him. Your starting to sound like Mitch with his Peterson obsession.
I actually DO like him. I was stumpti g all last season for him. Unfortunately I think I had just too great of expectations and now I’m feeling let down. I still would’ve taken him over everyone else in the draft even knowing what I know now about him. And I still have great hope that he’ll be a generational player for us. But I see so many areas where he needs improvement and I’m admittedly impatient. That and I’ve never understood the fanboy mentality where you can’t admit your favorite team or player has holes or negatives.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I actually DO like him. I was stumpti g all last season for him. Unfortunately I think I had just too great of expectations and now I’m feeling let down. I still would’ve taken him over everyone else in the draft even knowing what I know now about him. And I still have great hope that he’ll be a generational player for us. But I see so many areas where he needs improvement and I’m admittedly impatient. That and I’ve never understood the fanboy mentality where you can admit your favorite team or player has holes or negatives.

He’s 20 years old... was a freshman in college last year. And he’s getting double-doubles on a nightly basis in the NBA.
Patience man... Patience...

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I actually DO like him. I was stumpti g all last season for him. Unfortunately I think I had just too great of expectations and now I’m feeling let down. I still would’ve taken him over everyone else in the draft even knowing what I know now about him. And I still have great hope that he’ll be a generational player for us. But I see so many areas where he needs improvement and I’m admittedly impatient. That and I’ve never understood the fanboy mentality where you can’t admit your favorite team or player has holes or negatives.

It's pretty clear to me, in today's rules and perimeter oriented game, I'd have taken Doncic.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like in the land of hindsight 20/20, you’d be an all-world NBA GM! [emoji106]

I don't agree with much of what he's saying about Ayton but I think he's right about Doncic being a better fit in Koko's offense. I'd still take Ayton but as Deandre learns the game Koko is going to have to adapt to his strengths.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I don't agree with much of what he's saying about Ayton but I think he's right about Doncic being a better fit in Koko's offense. I'd still take Ayton but as Deandre learns the game Koko is going to have to adapt to his strengths.

Amazing how people can draw such definitive positions on a 20!year old big man averaging a double double in the first 10 games of his NBA career...

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I'm not so sure we'd be just as bad if we took Doncic. He has an alpha instinct. Ayton is obviously a beta. Puts up numbers, but doesnt have that killer instinct, just like we saw at UofA last year.

I wouldn’t care if he’s a “beta” a long as he’s not soft. I think he’s closer to goofy than soft. Whatever that means.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Actually you DON'T get it because you refuse to engage in any kind of conversation that doesn't fit into your black or white world. For you, if someone makes any critical comment about Ayton they're "haters!"

Ouchie REPEATEDLY banged FOR Ayton all last year on U of A, wanted him over Doncic and when he plays well, is beyond stoked. And when he sees things he's worried about, he says so.

Just because you can seemingly only view things in black and white terms, doesn't mean others are intellectually as limited in their opinions. People can be critical of things AND still like a player. It's not that hard to have a multitude of opinions about different parts of player's games.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I can admit when a player had holes in his game but I also have perspective and an understanding of the game. He's a rookie in his first 10 games. Every game your on here talking about how embarrassing he is when he's actually been pretty damn impressive.

Big men take longer to adjust especially when you consider he's a big man who has no one to get him the ball and I do mean NO ONE.

This offense isn't designed to run through the low post like it's 1998. Your not going to see him calling for it on the block because that's not what he's asked to do.

I really honestly don't know what you expected dude but we've gone over this before. I expect flashes of greatness and games where he looks lost, you know like a rookie.

The reason this team is bad is because we are getting nothing out of 3 of the 5 positions our forwards JJ, Warren, Ariza, Anderson have all be spotty if not just downright bad, our PG situation is the worse in the league and our centers have been chandler and Holmes...meh.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You don't draft someone #1 overall to fit your coach's style, especially when that coach has never been a head coach in the NBA. Igor only had the head coach job for 2 weeks at the time of the draft. I would get his input on who he likes but I wouldn't give it that much weight. It should have been made clear that he needed to build a system around our talent rather than trying to force our talent into his system. He's not Phil Jackson or Popovich. His system hasn't won anything at this level yet and we lack talent. Trying to force what talent we do have to play in his system could be part of why our guys have struggled.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I don't really understand this. I stated my reasoning for Doncic before the draft. Because I'm stating this now when Doncic has been more effective, it has no validity?

I meant this response:

“Amazing how people can draw such definitive positions on a 20!year old big man averaging a double double in the first 10 games of his NBA career...”

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Actually you DON'T get it because you refuse to engage in any kind of conversation that doesn't fit into your black or white world. For you, if someone makes any critical comment about Ayton they're "haters!"

Ouchie REPEATEDLY banged FOR Ayton all last year on U of A, wanted him over Doncic and when he plays well, is beyond stoked. And when he sees things he's worried about, he says so.

Just because you can seemingly only view things in black and white terms, doesn't mean others are intellectually as limited in their opinions. People can be critical of things AND still like a player. It's not that hard to have a multitude of opinions about different parts of player's games.

How's that cape fitting Captn?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You don't draft someone #1 overall to fit your coach's style, especially when that coach has never been a head coach in the NBA. Igor only had the head coach job for 2 weeks at the time of the draft. I would get his input on who he likes but I wouldn't give it that much weight. It should have been made clear that he needed to build a system around our talent rather than trying to force our talent into his system. He's not Phil Jackson or Popovich. His system hasn't won anything at this level yet and we lack talent. Trying to force what talent we do have to play in his system could be part of why our guys have struggled.

I question if we even have talent to fit any system.

JJ is just bad. He was the guy I wanted more than anybody in that draft but good lord he's awful. He just doesn't know how to play basketball. Bad choices, bad shots just bad

Warren is the ultimate empty stats guy.

Ariza and Anderson are bringing nothing. Ariza is supposed to be this great defender it Nope and if Andersons shot ain't falling me brings nothing.

PG pretty much the worse group in the NBA.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I can admit when a player had holes in his game but I also have perspective and an understanding of the game. He's a rookie in his first 10 games. Every game your on here talking about how embarrassing he is when he's actually been pretty damn impressive.

Big men take longer to adjust especially when you consider he's a big man who has no one to get him the ball and I do mean NO ONE.

This offense isn't designed to run through the low post like it's 1998. Your not going to see him calling for it on the block because that's not what he's asked to do.

I really honestly don't know what you expected dude but we've gone over this before. I expect flashes of greatness and games where he looks lost, you know like a rookie.

The reason this team is bad is because we are getting nothing out of 3 of the 5 positions our forwards JJ, Warren, Ariza, Anderson have all be spotty if not just downright bad, our PG situation is the worse in the league and our centers have been chandler and Holmes...meh.

I actually do see him calling for it on the block. More often than not, his defender pokes it away or repositions himself in front. He puts up numbers, but his lack of assertiveness is deeply troubling, particularly for someone picked first. For those that are watching the games, yet are unwilling to admit this, seems to me are lying to themselves.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I meant this response:

“Amazing how people can draw such definitive positions on a 20!year old big man averaging a double double in the first 10 games of his NBA career...”

Watch the games. He puts up stats because hes so naturally talented. And that's what is so frustrating. If you're not troubled by his lack of assertiveness, then you're lying to yourself.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I actually do see him calling for it on the block. More often than not, his defender pokes it away or repositions himself in front. He puts up numbers, but his lack of assertiveness is deeply troubling, particularly for someone picked first. For those that are watching the games, yet are unwilling to admit this, seems to me are lying to themselves.

you think we should of drafted Doncic?