Nets @ Suns 11-6- 18

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns play the Nets on Tuesday at 7 p.m. Arizona. It will be televised on FSAZ.

With the Nets coming off a 122-97 trouncing of the 76ers on Sunday they demonstrate they can give the Suns all they can handle. The Nets have a 4-6 record while the Suns are 2-7. Also it's a chance for the Suns to see Jared Dudley who is starting for the team.

I'm hoping the Suns have taken a step forward when they beat the Grizzlies because it doesn't get any easier. The Suns start a difficult stretch when the Celtics visit Thursday.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dudley has looked good in Brooklyn. I think he could have produced similarly for us but he's definitely a better stretch 4 in the East. He was too undersized to start for us at PF most nights. We could have used him better though.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TJ Warren is listed as questionable for the Nets game.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Boy I think we could say that about a lot of players. Or they just didn't fit here.

I don't think it's a case of them not fitting since we don't have much of an identity. I think a number of players just don't care. The Suns have been a pitstop for them. With Dudley though he liked being here and always spoke well of the organization and the city. Since he was here with Nash back in the day I think his perspective is quite different but most other players just don't care.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's a case of them not fitting since we don't have much of an identity. I think a number of players just don't care. The Suns have been a pitstop for them. With Dudley though he liked being here and always spoke well of the organization and the city. Since he was here with Nash back in the day I think his perspective is quite different but most other players just don't care.

Maybe so, but I'd rather have Holmes than Dudley. Holmes has a chance to be on the Suns roster next season.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping the Suns have taken a step forward when they beat the Grizzlies because it doesn't get any easier. The Suns start a difficult stretch when the Celtics visit Thursday.

No biggie, we have the Celtics number. Didn't we just steal Jackson from them?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe so, but I'd rather have Holmes than Dudley. Holmes has a chance to be on the Suns roster next season.

I agree. I think we could have found another way to get Holmes. It was more the roster spot that Dudley freed up that helped us get Holmes since we sent Dudley to Brooklyn and then sent cash and a conditional 2nd rounder to Philly for Holmes. It wasn't much, I know that. If we bought out Chandler then, it might have allowed us to do the same thing. It's not a big deal though. I like Holmes, he can be a decent backup big for us. He's more useful on this team than Dudley or Chandler so that's a positive on it's own.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's averaging 5.5 points per game in more than 24 minutes, shooting 39%. How is that "looking good"?

It's not just his numbers, it's how he's playing. Dudley does a lot that doesn't show up in the box score. That was evident to people who watched him with the Suns. He's one of the few vets that the Nets have and he's been a quality veteran leader and playing better than he did here. He's never going to fill up the box score but that's fine, it's not his role.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
It's not just his numbers, it's how he's playing. Dudley does a lot that doesn't show up in the box score. That was evident to people who watched him with the Suns. He's one of the few vets that the Nets have and he's been a quality veteran leader and playing better than he did here.

I just can't imagine what evidence you have for that. Have you been scrutinizing Nets games? Compared to last year, he's either level or down in literally every per-minute statistic, including plus-minus.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he's out again today for back spasms, when will the "Warren is being traded" rumors start?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You do get, that was sarcasm on my part? The joke was all on Ryan, Ainge always wanted Tatum over all others (IMO).

Oh, yes. I never bought the Suns outsmarted the Celtics. If Ainge takes a player it's because he wants him. Missing a workout would not deter Ainge from drafting Jackson if this is the player he wanted.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, yes. I never bought the Suns outsmarted the Celtics. If Ainge takes a player it's because he wants him. Missing a workout would not deter Ainge from drafting Jackson if this is the player he wanted.

Yeah, Danny's in control of situations like that, he doesn't get played. And I know Ryan wasn't intentionally gloating. He was just trying to poke fun at Ainge when he made his comment but it shows how out of touch he is with people in general. I don't think he's a bad guy but his social skills still need some work.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Danny's in control of situations like that, he doesn't get played. And I know Ryan wasn't intentionally gloating. He was just trying to poke fun at Ainge when he made his comment but it shows how out of touch he is with people in general. I don't think he's a bad guy but his social skills still need some work.

McDonough knew the score, however, I think a lot of fans wanted to believe he got the upper hand on Ainge.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
McDonough knew the score, however, I think a lot of fans wanted to believe he got the upper hand on Ainge.

I don't know about that, either way. No one in my small circle of NBA fans paid any attention to it but I'd imagine some of the younger and perhaps less informed fans fell for it. But along those lines, I do know some of the diehard Celtic fanboys were angered by the whole thing - until they got to see Tatum play. But most of the Celtics fans seemed to just be annoyed by Ryan's gloating.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know about that, either way. No one in my small circle of NBA fans paid any attention to it but I'd imagine some of the younger and perhaps less informed fans fell for it. But along those lines, I do know some of the diehard Celtic fanboys were angered by the whole thing - until they got to see Tatum play. But most of the Celtics fans seemed to just be annoyed by Ryan's gloating.

There was talk on the Suns forum about the Suns having advantage getting Jackson (because he refused to work out for the Celtics) but I don't recall how far it went. Bottom line, I think we all knew Ainge would get the best player immediately. Tatum was more polished but the hope was Jackson could surpass Tatum eventually.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was talk on the Suns forum about the Suns having advantage getting Jackson (because he refused to work out for the Celtics) but I don't recall how far it went. Bottom line, I think we all knew Ainge would get the best player immediately. Tatum was more polished but the hope was Jackson could surpass Tatum eventually.

Yeah, you don't mess around with Ainge, even if you got a two-piece custom made pool cue.