Do Ayton's comments concern you?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I was partially wrong on the Ayton quote. I didn't see it on a draft show, it was actually prior to the draft in the CJ Mccollum interview that someone linked to on this site. My post about it was in the draft thread (The Suns with the 2018 overall #1 pick select...). Hopefully someone can again provide the Mccollum link but here's my text from post #1761 in a response to a cheesebeef comment:

There's another comment that also raises my concern level over him. It was in that players interview that someone linked here a few days ago. Near the end of the interview, CJ turned it over to Ayton to ask his own questions. Deandre then asked Mccollum how he stayed motivated once he got his money.

From comments he's made, I also worry that he is apparently devoted to video games. The more I read about Towns the more clearly it seems to me that his level of gaming obsession is interfering with his development and play. I'd hate to see Ayton go down the same way.

Isn't Ayton's devotion to what you refer to in the spoiler typical of young men his age? Perhaps an outlet in his personal time?

Do you really think it is going to interfere with his career? Especially with his sights on earning his next contract.

It's better than Robin Lopez and his comic books. :)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't Ayton's devotion to what you refer to in the spoiler typical of young men his age? Perhaps an outlet in his personal time?

Do you really think it is going to interfere with his career? Especially with his sights on earning his next contract.

It's better than Robin Lopez and his comic books. :)

I have no idea. If he likes video games, no problem. If he's obsessive over them as KAT "appears" to be, I'd be very worried. Booker likes video games a lot but he is clearly focused on basketball first. Hopefully Ayton is too.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am a little concerned....like the first article mentions the statement that Ayton made about money does raise some eyebrows.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I have no idea. If he likes video games, no problem. If he's obsessive over them as KAT "appears" to be, I'd be very worried. Booker likes video games a lot but he is clearly focused on basketball first. Hopefully Ayton is too.
Didn’t affect Marion...

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Of all this these, the comment about making it to the second contract defining success bothers me th most. The first pick in th draft should have higher goals than that. I am hoping his comment was a general definition of success for an nba player and not his own personal definition.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of all this these, the comment about making it to the second contract defining success bothers me th most. The first pick in th draft should have higher goals than that. I am hoping his comment was a general definition of success for an nba player and not his own personal definition.

Here's the thing. The guy grew up dirt poor and carried the burden of being his family's hope at too young of an age. It's understandable that money is the first thing on his mind. And it's understandable that he's fallen in love with the fun and the release that video games can bring. But if money is the only thing that drags his butt into the gym every day, he'll never reach his lofty potential.

But the thing that gives me hope about all this? Sean Miller isn't like Calipari, he doesn't hawk his former players to every talking head he can find. He's fairly reserved about them - he's supportive but not bombastic like John can be. Yet Sean positively gushes about Deandre (and his family). He says the kid has a great work ethic and is extremely coachable. I'm still concerned about the situation but I'm also still hopeful.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn’t affect Marion...

I really don't know what your point is. There is a huge difference between enjoying video games, comic books or cartoons and being obsessed by any of them. Are you saying that Marion was "obsessed"?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not worried about what Ayton said prior to the draft, or right around the draft because he's said a lot of good things since then. When he seemed to answer Embiid's challenge, in a way, that he can talk trash all he wants, he'll handle it on the court. I don't remember the quote but it was something like that. He seemed focus and ready to show people he was worth the #1 overall pick and it wasn't a fluke. That comment about his 2nd contract also could have had to do with injuries or something else as well. I know that's not how it seemed based on the previous question but he didn't have a lot of time to expand on it. He also wasn't around NBA players a lot at that point as far as working out with Igor and the Suns veterans.

I believe Jackson, Bridges, and Booker will push him. Imagine how hard of a hit that would be to Ayton's ego if Bridges outplays him. They play different positions but they went 10 spots from each other and that should help motivate him also.

edupunk

Reaction score
You're looking at it from a fan or Stan's perspective. To expect ayton or any player coming into the league (today) to have loyalty to an organization they're new to is absurd, especially with what's been going on in the league the last couple of years. Ayton just said what the majority of these guys are thinking, and tbh I appreciate that. I'd rather him be himself and honest rather than hold it close to the chest.

Another thing to think about with ayton is that he seems to be a troll, he's a very witty dude.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I really don't know what your point is. There is a huge difference between enjoying video games, comic books or cartoons and being obsessed by any of them. Are you saying that Marion was "obsessed"?
Yeah. That’s literally all he did when not playing ball.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't know much about his private life beyond his interest in cartoons but I'm pretty sure his past-time included horrible interviews with Jim Rome and others.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I used to try to have conversations with Shawn Marion at Yoshi's at Indian School and 24th St. when we stopped in for lunch. He was incapable of having a conversation. Or a complete sentence.

Robin Lopez and his comic books had the mentality of a giggling 11 year old.

Ayton has 1000 times the intelligence of both of them put together. Which will manifest itself in his approach to the NBA. And, he tells it like it is.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
What gets me is that this kid was a number one pick. SOMEONE should have taught him to say things like, "I am just excited to play basketball, get better, and help my team win" when the topic of money comes up. I don't blame him for wanting money- everyone does, but why isn't there someone advising him not to talk about that?

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well. This kid is entertaining, I have to admit that. I am hoping this little beef makes him want to back it up on the court. I can't see how it can hurt.

I am hoping for a Philly/Phoenix rivalry in the 2020's with championships at stake.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Well. This kid is entertaining, I have to admit that. I am hoping this little beef makes him want to back it up on the court. I can't see how it can hurt.

I am hoping for a Philly/Phoenix rivalry in the 2020's with championships at stake.

I really wish he would shut him mouth, stay off of social media, and spend that time practicing. There is nothing for him to gain by doing this sort of crap. Dunk on Embid, outperform him, and THEN talk smack.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I really wish he would shut him mouth, stay off of social media, and spend that time practicing. There is nothing for him to gain by doing this sort of crap. Dunk on Embid, outperform him, and THEN talk smack.
He's not going to practice 24 hours a day. Besides, it's still a game. Nice to see the kid want to have some fun with it. After all, that's why those of us that play, play it.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

Stef, I believe that Ayton's competitive outspokenness (which is not in the outrageous demeanor of Barkley) comes from the same genes which will hopefully make him a leader and someday All Star on the Suns. As our #1 pick and a Center, he has clearly been thrust into the role of instant leader with Booker. Even before he plays his first NBA game.

I hope you rethink the idea of his being meek off the court because we sure don't want him to be meek on the court. Talking smack with opponents is certainly a part of the NBA game.

And I think you know that there is time in the day to both practice and be on social media. 20-30 years ago, it wasn't a factor. But in these times, it is what it is, like it or not. Good for the Suns for getting with the program. With the exception of a few years of Barkley, meek is a description that fits the Suns throughout their history.

If I may get political, this isn't about demeanor of accountants. NBA players are primarily minorities and smack talk is indeed part of their collective personalities.

I am counting on Ayton to help change the image of the Suns in the NBA.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nah. I am OK with it. I usually don't like the smack talking bravado, but Ayton has fun with it and it provides some motivation. Go big or go home. Might as well be all in.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah. I am OK with it. I usually don't like the smack talking bravado, but Ayton has fun with it and it provides some motivation. Go big or go home. Might as well be all in.

He took Embiid's playful jibe well and responded in kind. I have no problem with it whatsoever.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Hardly. We were one of the winningest franchises in the NBA until this recent stretch. There is nothing meek about that or the teams we put out there. Teams aren't strong in the regular season and then "meek" in the playoffs as you seem to be suggesting. Try saying "you're meek" to players such as Ricky Sobers, Paul Westphal, Mike Finley, Jason Kidd, Amare Stoudemire, Tim Perry, Alvan Adams, Shawn Marion, Andrew Lang, Ronnie Lee, Neal Walk, Connie Hawkins, Gail Goodrich, Paul Silas, Steve Kerr, Dick and Tom Van Arsdale, Clem Haskins, Larry Nance, Don Buse, Craig Hodges, Jeff Hornacek, Charlie Scott, Curtis Perry, Pat Riley, Jay Humphries, Dennis Johnson, Walter Davis, Truck Robinson, Mark Bryant, Rex Chapman, Bo Outlaw, Maurice Lucas, Cedric Ceballos, Armen Gilliam, Ty Corbin, Dan Majerle, Raja Bell, Steve Nash, Shaq, Danny Manning, Wayman Tisdale, Oliver Miller, Tim Legler, Kevin Johnson, Eddie Johnson, Mark West, Tom Chambers, Kurt Rambis, Xavier McDaniel, Danny Ainge, AC Green, Cliff Robinson, Mario Elie, Rodney Rogers, Scott Williams, Stephan Marbury, Q Richardson, Kurt Thomas, Jason Richardson, Goran Dragic, Gerald Green, Grant Hill, Marcin Gortat, Robin Lopez, Jermaine O'Neal, Marcus and Markieff Morris, PJ Tucker, Tyson Chandler, Devin Booker, Josh Jackson, Alan Williams and so many others whose names I've failed to include.

I know you don't mean to but it's very offensive to boil someone's life down to "being meek" or "losers" simply because we wanted them to win it all and they didn't. Only one team can win it all each year and the list of winners has always been dominated by a handful of franchises. We've acquitted ourselves well until the post-Nash era and I'm confident we will bounce back soon.

Steve, I admire your long list of past Suns. It brings back a lot of memories. In looking it over, most of the names (except Charles, the Morrises, PJ Tucker and perhaps one or two others) I would categorize as gentlemen by NBA standards.

Can you deny that the Suns have always been, with very few exceptions, the gentlemen of the NBA, which is what I meant by meek? The opposite of rough.

Considering us to be gentlemen, I always choose well mannered people as friends. But we're talking about rooting for a team in the NBA. It is not lawn bowling. It is a rough and tumble professional sports league that has seemed to require a lot of physical contact and schoolyard mentality to rise to the top.

Yes, I would call the Suns performance and reputation over most of the past fifty years gentlemanly and meek ..... compared to the many teams who have risen to the level of serious playoff contender which, yes, I have always hoped for. BTW, I notice you didn't include Maurice Lucas, the prototype enforcer, whose tenure was the Suns was short because he just didn't fit in.

BTW, I am surprised that you quote the word "losers". I have never called the Suns that! Your introducing it into the conversation should not have included quote marks. Thanks.

Your recent post and mine reflect Ayton's taking on Embid before he plays his first game. As I mentioned in my post, I am counting on Ayton to help change the image of the Suns in the NBA as they start their second Half Century. Deep down, Steve, do you really oppose that? If so, why?

Edit: As I posted my long post, I just saw your last post that you have no problem with it. Great!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steve, I admire your long list of past Suns. It brings back a lot of memories. In looking it over, most of the names (except Charles, the Morrises, PJ Tucker and perhaps one or two others) I would categorize as gentlemen by NBA standards.

Can you deny that the Suns have always been, with very few exceptions, the gentlemen of the NBA, which is what I meant by meek? The opposite of rough.

Considering us to be gentlemen, I always choose well mannered people as friends. But we're talking about rooting for a team in the NBA. It is not lawn bowling. It is a rough and tumble professional sports league that has seemed to require a lot of physical contact and schoolyard mentality to rise to the top.

Yes, I would call the Suns performance and reputation over most of the past fifty years gentlemanly and meek ..... compared to the many teams who have risen to the level of serious playoff contender which, yes, I have always hoped for. BTW, I notice you didn't include Maurice Lucas, the prototype enforcer, whose tenure was the Suns was short because he just didn't fit in.

BTW, I am surprised that you quote the word "losers". I have never called the Suns that! Your introducing it into the conversation should not have included quote marks. Thanks.

Your recent post and mine reflect Ayton's taking on Embid before he plays his first game. As I mentioned in my post, I am counting on Ayton to help change the image of the Suns in the NBA as they start their second Half Century. Deep down, Steve, do you really oppose that? If so, why?

Edit: As I posted my long post, I just saw your last post that you have no problem with it. Great!

I think gentlemenly is a good way to describe the franchise outside the first three Barkley years (and really... probably just the first Chuck year where he was a machine throughout).

What this team was missing for the other years, IMO was "attitude" or "swagger". I think Booker has it. Dude was talking trash to guys his second year in the league and letting people know about it... while backing it up.

The hope is that Ayton can do the same thing.

I think that's what BC is trying to say.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson