Kings vs Suns SL Game Thread 7/7/18

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This. I have compared similar pictures and he really doesn’t look much different. Maybe a little less cut, but it’s really not drastic.

Wow, I'm really surprised so many are contesting this? I thought he clearly looked softer, less ripped. Not soft, not unripped but much less the physical specimen he appeared to be during the season.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow, I'm really surprised so many are contesting this? I thought he clearly looked softer, less ripped. Not soft, not unripped but much less the physical specimen he appeared to be during the season.

I think it's the wording that has every body going a different direction. Not sure what fits better than softer but he does appear less lean.

Maybe if Chriss hadn't been the last big change on the Suns by showing up almost fat to Summer League last year it'd be accepted a little more but since that happened it has people wanting to defend Ayton so he doesn't get compared to Chriss.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's the wording that has every body going a different direction. Not sure what fits better than softer but he does appear less lean.

Maybe if Chriss hadn't been the last big change on the Suns by showing up almost fat to Summer League last year it'd be accepted a little more but since that happened it has people wanting to defend Ayton so he doesn't get compared to Chriss.

Yeah, it's nothing like with Chriss. Ayton appeared sculpted a few months ago, now he looks human. He'll get it back quickly so I'm not at all concerned.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its just that the adjective "soft" does not seem to apply to Ayton's body in any way. He might be slightly less cut at the moment, but even that is a bit debatable.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I just think right now everyone is extra defensive of any criticism Ayton’s way. I think Joe Mama’s post kinda put it welll earlier where if you basically say you’re not a big fan of Ayton’s socks, you’ll have like 7 people going at your throat lol.

I defending him in the last game when he wasn’t getting looks because of crappy passing but I’m not oblivious to think he’s perfect in every way because imo no human is.

But right now he’s the new shiney toy and any criticism his way will be met by people who assumed you attacked their own spouse. It’s understandable because he’s played well thus far and is only the #1 overall pick in team history so everyone wants to protect him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just think right now everyone is extra defensive of any criticism Ayton’s way. I think Joe Mama’s post kinda put it welll earlier where if you basically say you’re not a big fan of Ayton’s socks, you’ll have like 7 people going at your throat lol.

I defending him in the last game when he wasn’t getting looks because of crappy passing but I’m not oblivious to think he’s perfect in every way because imo no human is.

But right now he’s the new shiney toy and any criticism his way will be met by people who assumed you attacked their own spouse. It’s understandable because he’s played well thus far and is only the #1 overall pick in team history so everyone wants to protect him.

I've felt all along that people have put Ayton on too high of a pedestal here. And I don't believe that he impacts the game quite as positively as his stats would suggest. But there's a world of potential there and a guy that can get you close to 20 and 10 while still too raw to greatly impact the game is worth waiting on. He's going to become a very valuable part of this team even if he only improves as much as Alex Len did.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yeah, it's nothing like with Chriss. Ayton appeared sculpted a few months ago, now he looks human. He'll get it back quickly so I'm not at all concerned.
Until he was drafted, I wonder what kind of fitness regimen he had been on. His last game with Arizona was March 15th and the draft was June 21st. That's almost 3 months. Now I'm sure he worked in the gym a bit, but I'm guessing it was a lot less structured and with no actual games in that timespan, it's no wonder he isn't as chiseled.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I've felt all along that people have put Ayton on too high of a pedestal here. And I don't believe that he impacts the game quite as positively as his stats would suggest. But there's a world of potential there and a guy that can get you close to 20 and 10 while still too raw to greatly impact the game is worth waiting on. He's going to become a very valuable part of this team even if he only improves as much as Alex Len did.
I don't really understand this. I think you are saying that you don't think he influenced Arizona much despite his strong statistics? I'm curious to know why you think that. What's your experience watching him?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't really understand this. I think you are saying that you don't think he influenced Arizona much despite his strong statistics? I'm curious to know why you think that. What's your experience watching him?

No, I'm not saying this. I'm saying he didn't influence the game as MUCH as his statistics would suggest. I know I'm not the only one to have commented on it, it showed up in game threads around the net.

I watched every game he played this season except for the loss to Buffalo (I recorded it and didn't have the heart to watch it once the score surfaced). I still believe he was the right choice for us, I just expect there will be more growing pains than some here believed. But assuming Miller was correct that Ayton is intelligent, coachable and a very hard worker, I see no reason Deandre won't become the next dominant big man.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
No, I'm not saying this. I'm saying he didn't influence the game as MUCH as his statistics would suggest. I know I'm not the only one to have commented on it, it showed up in game threads around the net.

I watched every game he played this season except for the loss to Buffalo (I recorded it and didn't have the heart to watch it once the score surfaced). I still believe he was the right choice for us, I just expect there will be more growing pains than some here believed. But assuming Miller was correct that Ayton is intelligent, coachable and a very hard worker, I see no reason Deandre won't become the next dominant big man.

I don't think Ayton is going to be elite in year one. He may be an 18/10 guy his rookie season, but that's fine. Ayton needs more molding and to be challenged more. I will say at Arizona, the one thing he learned the most was the importance of taking care of your body and strength training. He's still developing.

Although he's an elite prospect, we need to remember that he's been playing basketball for only 7 years.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I don't think Ayton is going to be elite in year one. He may be an 18/10 guy his rookie season, but that's fine. Ayton needs more molding and to be challenged more. I will say at Arizona, the one thing he learned the most was the importance of taking care of your body and strength training. He's still developing.

Although he's an elite prospect, we need to remember that he's been playing basketball for only 7 years.
I don't know, 18/10 for a rookie is pretty elite.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't know, 18/10 for a rookie is pretty elite.
“...for a rookie...” your qualifier matters. He didn’t say “he won’t be elite for a rookie.” He said “won’t be elite.” And for the league as a whole 18 and 10 is good, but certainly not “elite.”

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I think there are unrealistic expectations for Ayton. He developed this cult following that basically made him sound like something that should never be expected of a young rookie. He will be fine, but a lot of people will be disappointed with him because of the crazy expectations.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Correct because things like "Generational Center" were being tossed around.
When I posted that, I was thinking of Generational Suns Center rather than Generational NBA Center.

Isn't it realistic to expect and believe that he will become the best Center in-his-prime that the Suns have ever had?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
First pick in a loaded draft. The expectation of being a generational center was fairly legit, it was also being touted in the press. But expecting that from day 1 of summer league for a 19 year old might be a bit much.

Maybe we can give him at least until Christmas.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I haven't seen anything to make me question the "potential generational center" hype. Physical freak, great hands, great footwork in the post, natural rebounder...

IMO, he is so gifted that he could sleep walk through his career and average 18-10 with average defensive play. If he's as driven as he claims to be, and factoring in how skilled he is at such a young age and with so little basketball experience... then, absolutely, the sky is the limit.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I posted that, I was thinking of Generational Suns Center rather than Generational NBA Center.

Isn't it realistic to expect and believe that he will become the best Center in-his-prime that the Suns have ever had?

It wasn't you I was talking about, it was some of the pundits. You are absolutely correct here though

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

BC. Right now, based upon two summer league games, he is one of the best centers (as in big physical presence) we have ever had. Of course Suns history, apart from a short Shaq stint, doesn't boast any of those.

Here are some of the things we KNOW about Ayton. He has great hands. We do not see him fumbling the ball away like Len. He catches everything. In that way, he reminds me of Oliver Miller. Miller's college coach said he could "catch a dime in the dark."

He can be a bully when he decides to. We saw that today. He is a natural rebounder based upon his size and athletic ability and without demonstrating the best blocking out habits.

So. There is a ways to go, but things look good so far.

See. Sunsfan88. I've gone back to my "homeristic" posts.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard