Kings vs Suns SL Game Thread 7/7/18

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Ayton is a kid. He is going to have more holes in his games than Swiss cheese. The key is to start getting better in some of those areas slowly. I am not worried about him at all. As the matter of fact, I think he is further along than a kid his age should be.

I am focusing on what he is doing well already, and watching for consistent improvements in other areas.

OP
OP
CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Ayton is a kid. He is going to have more holes in his games than Swiss cheese. The key is to start getting better in some of those areas slowly. I am not worried about him at all. As the matter of fact, I think he is further along than a kid his age should be.

I am focusing on what he is doing well already, and watching for consistent improvements in other areas.
I will be looking forward to preseason for him. Not just because I want to see where he has made improvements, but I believe he will be in tip top shape and I want to see how big of a difference that makes.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I think many people expect more out of him than the typical 19 year old because he was the #1 overall pick and heralded as the most NBA ready player of the draft.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think the best verb to describe Ayton's play would be floating as some have already stated. He just does not look comfortable out there. I'm hoping he's just unsure of the system/plays and is tepid as a result.

There were so many plays where he could have established himself or fought for position on the offensive glass, bit he just stood flat-footed or floated around the perimeter setting half-hearted screens.

Dude needs to sack up and start playing like he's the number 1 pick and own the court.
SUMMER LEAGUE.

Crazy how many people want him to be David Robinson from minute 1.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Suns need a pass first PG imo. It will help Ayton and also help Booker, Jackson, Bridges etc. We need someone who can get all these cooks in the kitchen the ball.

Even if it’s someone who isn’t particularly a good defender, I still think it would be worth it.

If the Clippers buy out Milos Teodosic, then I think the Suns should consider bringing him in on a short term deal. Okobo can learn from his passing as well.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
SUMMER LEAGUE.

I don’t think that’s it. I think people are just pointing out areas where he can improve. That doesn’t make it criticism, just observation. This doesn’t have to dissolve into an argument like so many of the threads on this board. With ayton’s Age and experience he should be expected to be an unfinished product. Recognizing and commenting on it isn’t necessarily an attack on Ayton.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I cannot see why people would be disappointed with Ayton. He could have had 40 points in this game if he got consistent entry passes. The league is built on the three point shot these days, but if you can get 70% plus on twos, you will win without hitting one three. Ayton is also working on defense. He actually asked out so he could clarify his defensive role. That is fantastic! That is incredible self-awareness.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I cannot see why people would be disappointed with Ayton. He could have had 40 points in this game if he got consistent entry passes. The league is built on the three point shot these days, but if you can get 70% plus on twos, you will win without hitting one three. Ayton is also working on defense. He actually asked out so he could clarify his defensive role. That is fantastic! That is incredible self-awareness.

I watched the game and am super excited. Ayton is only going to get better, but he was banging around inside and holding his own. It's summer league but the way he dominated the 4th was pretty encouraging. :)

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I am expecting he will improve a lot.

All I am saying is 90% of playground bigs know how to box out, and get post position, yet he seems to be terrible at both. I just don't understand how a 7 footer doesn't know how to do these things. I get his athleticism lets him get away with not playing fundamentally, but I think it speaks either very badly of U of A's coaching, or Deandre's willingness to learn that he still does not seem how to know how to do either properly.
Why didn't you mention, to be fair, that UofA played Ayton out of position? It is hard to develop as a post Center when you are playing outside as a Forward because you are more flexible than the other Center on the team.

Specifics apply to this situation, not generalizations about playground bigs. Do you think that playground basketball is the step right before the NBA?

Look on the bright side, Proximo. Rather than attempting a self-fulfilling prophesy of failure. It really hurts to read what you've been posting about the #1 pick in the draft. The only #1 pick in our 50 year history. On a team whose best players, with the exceptions of Hawkins, Chambers and Barkley, have been Guards and Wings.

Happy days have begun. Why not enjoy it?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t think that’s it. I think people are just pointing out areas where he can improve. That doesn’t make it criticism, just observation. This doesn’t have to dissolve into an argument like so many of the threads on this board. With ayton’s Age and experience he should be expected to be an unfinished product. Recognizing and commenting on it isn’t necessarily an attack on Ayton.
I don't think anyone is saying he doesn't have room for improvement. But a lot the critiques in this thread were absurd. "He played poorly, reminds me of Chriss, less skilled than 90% of rec league players..."

Meanwhile he dropped 21-12 and dramatically outplayed the #2 pick. Let's compare it to Bagley's game... inefficient, beat on the glass repeatedly by Ayton, swatted into next week by Jackson... and finally... injured.

Good grief. If Ayton had Bagley's night the board probably would be a burning ruin.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, don’t get my comments about areas of improvement wrong, I LOVE me some Ayton. He’s good and going to be great (I hope), but that doesn’t mean he can’t improve. He’s under a microscope (understandably right now as the #1 pick) so this is going to happen. Doesn’t mean people are down on him.

I was trying to say if Ayton can play this well starting out, he should only get better. He definitely needs to improve but he is by no means a finished product.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

All I am saying is 90% of playground bigs know how to box out, and get post position, yet he seems to be terrible at both. I just don't understand how a 7 footer doesn't know how to do these things. I get his athleticism lets him get away with not playing fundamentally, but I think it speaks either very badly of U of A's coaching, or Deandre's willingness to learn that he still does not seem how to know how to do either properly.

We agree. Ayton should only improve with experience.

I imagine Ayton playing out of position in college didn't help his game. If I recall correctly Ayton started basketball late.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
We agree. Ayton should only improve with experience.

I imagine Ayton playing out of position in college didn't help his game. If I recall correctly Ayton started basketball late.
Yeah they just mentioned that on the telecast. He doesn’t yet have the innate sense of hoops due to coming to it late. But I figure it will develop with time and experience.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah they just mentioned that on the telecast. He doesn’t yet have the innate sense of hoops due to coming to it late. But I figure it will develop with time and experience.
The interviews with Ayton have been excellent. He seems at ease in front of the camera. He answers questions thoughtfully and with a sense of self-awareness. He is an intelligent young man and well spoken. I am so glad we have him.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe Mama, I hope you posting now means you will return to posting to the forum on a regular basis like the good ol days.
Exactly what I said. Joe Mama?

hey guys, yeah it was fun yesterday. I lurk around occasionally during the summer and the draft, but I know I can't just post once or twice and leave it alone. Unfortunately I fear I may have started a bunch of fighting here, especially when I start off with what I understand is pretty inflammatory criticism of the #1 draft pick and hopeful Savior of the franchise. I see we also have quite a few people here still can't follow an argument objectively. Newsflash guys. I can be critical of a player and his development level without you guys acting like I just called your mom a fat pig. Oh yeah, and then I walked myself right into the whole Bender thing. :D I'll address that in another message.

Yeah he got some numbers but it was very unimpressive.
He doesn’t know how to post up, he doesn’t block out to rebound, he does not play help defense well, he can’t seem to effectively run the pick and roll.
Not to say he can’t learn all that, it’s just disappointing he needs to learn all of that.
I think I found my new best friend on the forum. Thank you for summing up my thoughts especially you Proximo. Of course I probably didn't help you by comparing him to Marquise Chriss (again without the poor body language) and using words like "clueless" instead of "raw". Like my new friend Proximo said, "it's just disappointing he needs to learn all of that." And I'll add it's disappointing he needs to learn all that when he is the #1 pick. The first several possessions of the first game I watched he just walked himself right up straight under the basket. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Nobody even had to push him… And by the way he got pushed around a lot more than I would have expected also.

I'm no expert but he looked a bit lost out there to me. I think we are going to spend the next season dreaming about a top flight PG.
Of course, once he's on the floor with Booker things will change and if he can put up 20 and 12 while lost that has to be a good sign.

yes said it yesterday. The best thing the organization could do right now if they want to help this team is find some veteran point guard who can effectively run the offense and keep defenses at least a little bit honest himself. Again, NOT Brandon Knight!

Yea not sure what your watching buddy. Its ridiculous the criticism Ayton is getting on here. This board is pretty bad at evaluating talent as a whole. Im sorry im gonna get a ton of heat for this but its just true. Half the time just go against what the majority of this boards opinion is and you will find the better players. Everyone loved Bender and some still do and he is straight garbage. People poo pooed the bridges trade but he will be a key piece to this team. When Ayton is ROTY and leads us to the playoffs i will serve the crow up fresh and hot.

does anybody really love Bender? No, I won't do this again. Different chat. I just wanted to make you an example of somebody who can't follow an objective argument., And if he is rookie of the year and actually helps us get to the playoffs there won't be any crow to serve up. Because there is no way the guy that we saw yesterday and the day before is going to do that. If we get anywhere near those lofty goals it will be because he and the coaching staff and his teammates have done an amazing job. The guy we saw the last couple days might put up some decent numbers. He might even get numbers on this Phoenix Suns team big enough to make him rookie of the year. He isn't going to get us sniffing the playoffs. Later

SUMMER LEAGUE.

Hey chap. Hope you are doing well. I kind of expected a message like this from you and you delivered right on cue. I know what a jerk I am for saying that, and I'm sorry. At the same time I really do miss how fun that was at first when Mike O was going to the games and the Phoenix Suns message board first started. I'm trying to remember who all was there at first.

I also lurk occasionally on the TV message board and love what you and Cheese have to say there. I'm excited to check out his TV show. Oh yeah, I didn't expect David Robinson and you know that. Expected David Robinson's junior high fundamentals or at least hoped for them.

I make it a point to discuss the posts, not the poster. And this post is one of the most out-of-touch I have ever read.
Ayton's NBA experience consists of two Summer League games with no NBA veterans playing alongside him.
You find it disappointing that he needs to learn how to compete in the greatest basketball league in the world? After having played in college? And out of position?
Do you really think think that, as an amateur, he comes into the NBA as a polished, professional NBA Center?
I hope you are not an algebra teacher. "Hello, class, and welcome to Algebra I. It is disappointing that I have to teach you all of it." Don't let your Department Head hear you. :)
Jeez!

BC, you disappoint me. As soon as you start talking about his NBA experience, 2 Summer league games, Bob Loblaw (AD anybody?) You are missing the point. I didn't expect him to be so raw.
You bring up the math analogy, which is a good one.

It's not "hello class and welcome to algebra. It is disappointing that I have to teach you all of it.".

It's "hello Will Hunting (Ayton's physical attributes are that great) that I just took with the number one draft pick. Welcome to let's say, linear algebra. It's disappointing that I have to teach you algebra."

And what I'm hoping here is that the dude is incredibly driven and a real sponge learning this stuff. I've heard and read that is the case. I'm hoping he's a guy who is not satisfied putting up 20-12 in a summer league game. I hope to high hell he watches that broadcast and all of the things PJ Carlesimo was pointing out. Where's that quote regarding that…

It doesn't help that the entire broadcast was filled with an announcer that wanted to do nothing, but point out every negative thing that Ayton was doing on the court. I would be willing to bet a good amount of money that a lot less people would be pointing out negative things if that announcer wasn't spending so much time on that stuff.
There we go. Yes, in fact it helps quite a bit. Don't take everything is some personal attack on your favorite team. He was pointing out all the places that Ayton can and should improve. A lot of this is very fundamental basketball. For the most part I love listening to the summer league broadcast. I could turn off the TV (in fact most of the time I'm not looking at it at all other than the Phoenix Suns) I think it's great. Doris Burke in particular is fantastic.
If I'm the Phoenix Suns coaches I'm making Ayton watch that broadcast over and over. And then I'm asking Joel Embid to tweet about it repeatedly.
I mean I could even go and start criticizing his effort on a lot of those plays but I can only imagine what a storm that would cause here. I'm hoping a lot of that just had to do with him feeling kind of lost.
Oh yeah, don’t get my comments about areas of improvement wrong, I LOVE me some Ayton. He’s good and going to be great (I hope), but that doesn’t mean he can’t improve. He’s under a microscope (understandably right now as the #1 pick) so this is going to happen. Doesn’t mean people are down on him.
See Ouchie this is kind of what I'm thinking except I don't even feel like I'm putting him under a microscope. To me it's glaring that he is extremely raw… Much more than I would've expected after 25-12 at U of A and a full season of coaching in a top program.
He was one on two or three in most rebounding situations, bodying up someone just leaves someone else to get it while he is glued to his man.
Furthermore... again, he's farther along even in these areas being nitpicked, than virtually anyone I've ever seen at the same age.

Okay, I was with you a little bit on your first sentence there later in the game 2. However the 2nd sentence I think is just super hyperbole. In fact I would argue the opposite. I would say he's way behind in most of these areas being nitpick then virtually anyone I've seen after one year of major college. That's why I compared him to Marquise Chriss. Physically, athletically they are practically prototypes. I guess you could always throw a few more inches onto the wingspan but at some point they have to walk around with those things. Yeah I just don't understand how we could have been watching the same games. Maybe I stopped watching closely enough after a while.

Side note on Bamba: as I mentioned yesterday he's the one other guys at the top of the draft whose physical potential really intrigued me. Apparently he's ridiculously smart also. You mentioned that he drifted around and seemed to play lazily at times. That would definitely concern me, and the big question there. Is he going to be staying interested and driven enough in basketball to reach that potential. Oh, and will he be able to pack on a few pounds as well? But I totally get what you are saying about bust potential.

21/12 and people want more from Ayton? Good.
He looks more polished than any teenage big I've ever seen.
I think he's already got the skills to average 20-10 and play average to slightly above D... and I think it's obvious.
Unless you expected an MVP out the gate, I don't see you you can be disappointed.
21-12 on 72% shooting despite AWFUL guard play... I just don't see the disappointment being slightly warranted. He also looked worlds better than Bagley.
That stat line really says everything. There has been quite a bit of complaining about the way he played and yet he could have had like 30/12 in 29 minutes with some decent entry passes.
Of course he isn't perfect, but I think that just shows how much of a microscope he has on him right now. God forbid he have a few sub par minutes in 29 minutes of play. I would be willing to bet if you put this type of microscope on pretty much any player you will find minutes like those.

no, the stat line does not say it all. And for those of you who are going to be satisfied with 20-10 and we keep losing and losing because our defense sucks balls… Well I don't know what to say.

The above 3 posts are pretty similar. I did not expect MVP out of the gate. 21/12 is nice. I would have rather seen him look a little less lost and put up 15/8 though. I think you could have given the same opportunity to an undrafted Alvin Williams straight out of college and he would have easily put in 25/15 with a few blocks. Does this mean I want to take somebody else #1 and re-sign Williams, or maybe declare this a disaster after 2 games and go roll myself into a canal? No, it means the coaching staff has a lot of work to do with him. If you can't see that you are wearing some seriously rose-colored glasses.

you bring up the guard play. I would say at least half the time from what I saw the problem was not the guards throwing the passes. It was his inability to seal a block and open himself up for the pass.
What?! Looks soft? Cmon.
seriously JC. You are better than that. He definitely looked in better shape in college.
He does. Not nearly as lean as he was during the college season. It is extremely obvious. Now I'm not saying he is in terrible shape, but for him he doesn't look nearly as lean as he did just a few months ago.
I will be looking forward to preseason for him. Not just because I want to see where he has made improvements, but I believe he will be in tip top shape and I want to see how big of a difference that makes.
I think many people expect more out of him than the typical 19 year old because he was the #1 overall pick and heralded as the most NBA ready player of the draft.

Yes, yes what these 2 just said. I'm excited just to see what changes from one game of summer league to the next and even within the games themselves. I'm super excited to watch him play tomorrow. See if he had some basic skills he should be able to just beat the hell out of Bamba. I haven't looked at the schedule but I really hope they play Chicago and Wendell Carter Junior. If we were looking to win right away I would have wanted him or JJ Jr. (more so the former).

I mean let me say this loud and clear. We drafted a physical, athletic freak. From what little I've seen he has really soft hands. His shot looks a little flat, but it's nice and goes in the basket. He can move his feet like a guard. I mean if you are a player development coach you have wet dreams about player like that… Probably even in today's NBA.

Apologize for the long, often repetitive rambling message. Go Suns!

Have a great night everyone!

Joe

Last edited:

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you believe that Bender is a better defender or rebounder than Chriss then I have a bridge to sell you.
Bender is inch by inch probably the worst rebounder in the entire league.
And while players shoot better than their average against Bender and Bender is in all advanced statistics one of the worst defenders on the Suns, Chriss has been one of their best.
Hardly coincidence we only won 2 games when Bender started.
Bender is just not a NBA basketball player, he isn't a rookie, he is going into his third year as a pro and he was handled by Giles, he was pressured into a travel, shot the ball flat again, made three piss poor passess. He plays passive, he is ok on the defensive end but seriously he should be dominating these rookies. He might be better off in the Euro league, because there is no way the Suns are going to pay him past six years.
I wasn't saying that Bender is great, simply that the teams record last season shouldn't be an indicator of what they bring to the table. He has sucked this SL but at least he's there trying. That's better than sitting in the stands as a spectator. I'll give him credit for effort and the D he's been playing but he looks like a 2nd round pick, at best.
okay guys. This is going to be quick. When I've been able to watch Bender play over the last few years I've seen him do some of the little things that I just didn't see from Marquise Chriss. I just can't defend the results. I want him to succeed so badly and it's just incredibly frustrating to watch him. I'll concede I went a little overboard yesterday using him as any sort of example.

That draft was a perfect example of the Phoenix Suns luck until this summer. We get the 4th pick in a three-person draft. Actually I would say only 1 and 2 were really obvious, but I like to pretend that we would have taken Brown over Bender even if I'm not sure I believe it. The rest of that first round looks pretty uninteresting even just a couple years later.

Now Slin, you can go back into your hole and wait for some other fool to stumble his way into the mistake of saying anything positive or hopeful or optimistic about Bender. Let's at least hope together that the Phoenix Suns staff can do anything with him and can maybe help Chriss become a better player (if they don't trade one of them first).

Joe

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well Joe. Seems Igor agrees with you about Ayton not sealing off his man sufficiently to accept an entry pass. He was very specific about this criticism.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think it's fair to say that Ayton isn't in as good a shape as he was in college.

I mean this is how he looked in college

You must be registered for see images attach

And this was him in the summer league games

But it's not a huge concern because I assume that it's because he hasn't played basketball in months and I'm sure he will work himself to be in game shape by September's training camp.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it's fair to say that Ayton isn't in as good a shape as he was in college.

But it's not a huge concern because I assume that it's because he hasn't played basketball in months and I'm sure he will work himself to be in game shape by September's training camp.
I get that, but "soft" still doesn't apply IMO. Also, since I still lift a lot, a guy can look totally different before and after a workout.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Legit comp... him flexing and screaming vs standing relaxed.

Find an Arizona picture in a similar stance.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Hey chap. Hope you are doing well. I kind of expected a message like this from you and you delivered right on cue. I know what a jerk I am for saying that, and I'm sorry. At the same time I really do miss how fun that was at first when Mike O was going to the games and the Phoenix Suns message board first started. I'm trying to remember who all was there at first.

I also lurk occasionally on the TV message board and love what you and Cheese have to say there. I'm excited to check out his TV show. Oh yeah, I didn't expect David Robinson and you know that. Expected David Robinson's junior high fundamentals or at least hoped for them.

LOL yeah, I admittedly always err on the side of hyperbole. ;)

And you know every summer there are a lot of fans that really proclaim the sky is falling after seeing some players in summer league.

It is good to hear from you, as always. It’s been so long, it’s hard to remember just where it all originated. I remember in 2000 starting out on the ESPN message board. But everything for the next 15 years is pretty hazy.

OP
OP
CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Legit comp... him flexing and screaming vs standing relaxed.

Find an Arizona picture in a similar stance.
This. I have compared similar pictures and he really doesn’t look much different. Maybe a little less cut, but it’s really not drastic.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard