Kings vs Suns SL Game Thread 7/7/18

OP
OP
CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Yea not sure what your watching buddy. Its ridiculous the criticism Ayton is getting on here. This board is pretty bad at evaluating talent as a whole. Im sorry im gonna get a ton of heat for this but its just true. Half the time just go against what the majority of this boards opinion is and you will find the better players. Everyone loved Bender and some still do and he is straight garbage. People poo pooed the bridges trade but he will be a key piece to this team. When Ayton is ROTY and leads us to the playoffs i will serve the crow up fresh and hot.
This isn't a fair statement because the board is split on almost all of the prospects of drafts. Some didn't like the trade for Mikal, but plenty also liked it. Some feel Ayton is a good player with few weaknesses and some think he has some glaring flaws. You lumping the whole site into one opinion or mindset is just silly.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Half the time just go against what the majority of this boards opinion is and you will find the better players. Everyone loved Bender and some still do and he is straight garbage. People poo pooed the bridges trade but he will be a key piece to this team. When Ayton is ROTY and leads us to the playoffs i will serve the crow up fresh and hot.

What forum are you talking about? I'd agree that the board has maybe been less critical of Bender than Chriss but we've been pretty critical about both of them. Regardless, we've shown nowhere near a consensus of "love" for Dragan.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This isn't a fair statement because the board is split on almost all of the prospects of drafts. Some didn't like the trade for Mikal, but plenty also liked it. Some feel Ayton is a good player with few weaknesses and some think he has some glaring flaws. You lumping the whole site into one opinion or mindset is just silly.

And most of that had to do with concern over the cost of acquiring him, not the player himself.

HeHasRosen

All Star
Reaction score
And most of that had to do with concern over the cost of acquiring him, not the player himself.

Not to concerned about a pick we have no idea what it will amount to compared to acquiring 2 of the top 10 picks in a loaded draft. Sometime you just have to grow a pair.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Yeah he got some numbers but it was very unimpressive.

He doesn’t know how to post up, he doesn’t block out to rebound, he does not play help defense well, he can’t seem to effectively run the pick and roll.

Not to say he can’t learn all that, it’s just disappointing he needs to learn all of that.
I make it a point to discuss the posts, not the poster. And this post is one of the most out-of-touch I have ever read.

Ayton's NBA experience consists of two Summer League games with no NBA veterans playing alongside him.

You find it disappointing that he needs to learn how to compete in the greatest basketball league in the world? After having played in college? And out of position?

Do you really think think that, as an amateur, he comes into the NBA as a polished, professional NBA Center?

I hope you are not an algebra teacher. "Hello, class, and welcome to Algebra I. It is disappointing that I have to teach you all of it." Don't let your Department Head hear you. :)

Jeez!

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He looks more polished than any teenage big I've ever seen.

I think he's already got the skills to average 20-10 and play average to slightly above D... and I think it's obvious.

Unless you expected an MVP out the gate, I don't see you you can be disappointed.

21-12 on 72% shooting despite AWFUL guard play... I just don't see the disappointment being slightly warranted. He also looked worlds better than Bagley.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Harrison has an advantage over any other Point Guard's the Suns are looking at as being the backup or even 3rd string PG this season since he gets to show how he meshes with Ayton. So far he hasn't shown anything that makes me excited to see him kept on the roster after Summer League though. He's got to be able to hit Ayton when he's in position to score and he hasn't been doing that very well. I know he ended up with 9 assists in the first outing but it didn't look like he had that many watching the game. He had 5 assists and 3 turnovers in this game and that seems about right considering how he looked.

Okobo will be kept either way, which I'm fine with, he appears to be more of an NBA talent than Harrison so far. He seems quicker, has a better shooting touch, and is also younger. I wish Canaan were playing in the SL but I'm not sure if he'd even be eligible if he was healthy enough. He will have a training camp invite though and right now I think he'll be able to steal Shaq's roster spot since his deal isn't guaranteed.

OP
OP
CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
He looks more polished than any teenage big I've ever seen.

I think he's already got the skills to average 20-10 and play average to slightly above D... and I think it's obvious.

Unless you expected an MVP out the gate, I don't see you you can be disappointed.

21-12 on 72% shooting despite AWFUL guard play... I just don't see the disappointment being slightly warranted. He also looked worlds better than Bagley.
That stat line really says everything. There has been quite a bit of complaining about the way he played and yet he could have had like 30/12 in 29 minutes with some decent entry passes.

Of course he isn't perfect, but I think that just shows how much of a microscope he has on him right now. God forbid he have a few sub par minutes in 29 minutes of play. I would be willing to bet if you put this type of microscope on pretty much any player you will find minutes like those.

HeHasRosen

All Star
Reaction score

Idk maybe its because these types of opinions stick out more or just the level of ridiculousness that they convey. The ones that understand where im coming from or are just as dumbfounded as i am goes without saying so no need to address it.

I understand the microscope he is under but there are people here doubting Ayton, yet holding out hope for a Bender. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to me personally.

OP
OP
CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Idk maybe its because these types of opinions stick out more or just the level of ridiculousness that they convey. The ones that understand where im coming from or are just as dumbfounded as i am goes without saying so no need to address it.

I understand the microscope he is under but there are people here doubting Ayton, yet holding out hope for a Bender. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to me personally.
It doesn't help that the entire broadcast was filled with an announcer that wanted to do nothing, but point out every negative thing that Ayton was doing on the court. I would be willing to bet a good amount of money that a lot less people would be pointing out negative things if that announcer wasn't spending so much time on that stuff.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I am thrilled with Ayton. He dominates and hasn’t even really gotten rolling yet. Wait til he is playing with Booker. Anyone think Booker will figure out how to get an entry pad in to Ayton? I think he just might.

Bender is still th second youngest player on this team. I will write him off when Igor does.

This team has such a bright future but 8 years of futility has fans still grousing like they have corn cobbs up their butts. Take a moment and enjoy.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the best verb to describe Ayton's play would be floating as some have already stated. He just does not look comfortable out there. I'm hoping he's just unsure of the system/plays and is tepid as a result.

There were so many plays where he could have established himself or fought for position on the offensive glass, bit he just stood flat-footed or floated around the perimeter setting half-hearted screens.

Dude needs to sack up and start playing like he's the number 1 pick and own the court.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

He doesn’t know how to post up, he doesn’t block out to rebound, he does not play help defense well, he can’t seem to effectively run the pick and roll.

Not to say he can’t learn all that, it’s just disappointing he needs to learn all of that.
His defense has been pretty good.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
You cannot use wins and losses in a year when the Suns were tanking hard as a gauge of one player's contributions. We only won 21 games last season. It's not like that speaks well for anyone.
I think I can when Bender was the #1 tank commander.

Last edited:

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Defense is what I liked in this game. OKobo and Harrison play hard in your chest defense. Bridges, Jackson, Reed and the Bigs played good defense. I sure hope Jackson sits the rest of Summer league. I want to see Bridges take over a game. I want Bridges to take shots not Jackson.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And yet Ayton posts 21 points and 12 rebounds at the ripe old age of 19. He will only improve with coaching. If he can do this while he learns, sign me up.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And yet Ayton posts 21 points and 12 rebounds at the ripe old age of 19. He will only improve with coaching. If he can do this while he learns, sign me up.

I am expecting he will improve a lot.

All I am saying is 90% of playground bigs know how to box out, and get post position, yet he seems to be terrible at both. I just don't understand how a 7 footer doesn't know how to do these things. I get his athleticism lets him get away with not playing fundamentally, but I think it speaks either very badly of U of A's coaching, or Deandre's willingness to learn that he still does not seem how to know how to do either properly.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

All I am saying is 90% of playground bigs know how to box out, and get post position, yet he seems to be terrible at both. I just don't understand how a 7 footer doesn't know how to do these things. I get his athleticism lets him get away with not playing fundamentally, but I think it speaks either very badly of U of A's coaching, or Deandre's willingness to learn that he still does not seem how to know how to do either properly.
I'd guess he's better at both than 99.99% of playground bigs.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Yeah that and positioning himself so far under the hoop. I’m 5’11 but stocky. I could play in the post due to footwork and positioning. It wasn’t difficult to learn positioning or how to box out. That’s why it’s confusing that someone whose life over the past 5 years has been dedicated to basketball hasn’t learned those elements.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Oh yeah, don’t get my comments about areas of improvement wrong, I LOVE me some Ayton. He’s good and going to be great (I hope), but that doesn’t mean he can’t improve. He’s under a microscope (understandably right now as the #1 pick) so this is going to happen. Doesn’t mean people are down on him.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'd guess he's better at both than 99.99% of playground bigs.
Better rebounder, yes but due to his athletic ability and size, not positioning and boxing out. If you don’t understand the difference then this conversation is just lost on you.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
I'm no expert but he looked a bit lost out there to me. I think we are going to spend the next season dreaming about a top flight PG.

Of course, once he's on the floor with Booker things will change and if he can put up 20 and 12 while lost that has to be a good sign.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Better rebounder, yes but due to his athletic ability and size, not positioning and boxing out. If you don’t understand the difference then this conversation is just lost on you.
He was one on two or three in most rebounding situations, bodying up someone just leaves someone else to get it while he is glued to his man.

Furthermore... again, he's farther along even in these areas being nitpicked, than virtually anyone I've ever seen at the same age.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison