Cousins to Vikings (nearly done per this source)

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
It is amazing to me someone is going to spend around $30 million a year for a QB who has never won a playoff game, never lead the league in yards or TDs, has a career winning % under .500 and has been in the top 10 for fumbles by a QB 3 years in a row.

There is no doubt he is talented but I am not sold on him being a franchise QB.

:yeahthat:

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is amazing to me someone is going to spend around $30 million a year for a QB who has never won a playoff game, never lead the league in yards or TDs, has a career winning % under .500 and has been in the top 10 for fumbles by a QB 3 years in a row.

And, yet, so many gave a thumps up to the signing of Garrapollo to the highest contract on record after 7 starts.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score

Well, as the regular starter the last 3 years the Redskins are 24-23-1 and while he hasn't led the league in yards or TD's, he's averaged well over 4,000 per season and accounted for 30+ TD's each of those seasons. He did lead the league in completion % at 69% which is pretty good, especially when it's attached to production in other areas.

But, last year is what sold me. He lost his OC McVay, lost his two best WR's, his TE got hurt and they had no running game but he still had a very good year. If he's going to put up 4,000+ and 30TD's on a losing team with few weapons, I think he's the real deal.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
And, yet, so many gave a thumps up to the signing of Garrapollo to the highest contract on record after 7 starts.

Yeah that made no sense to me either. I think everyone proclaiming him deserving of a payday like that need to pump their brakes.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Well, as the regular starter the last 3 years the Redskins are 24-23-1 and while he hasn't led the league in yards or TD's, he's averaged well over 4,000 per season and accounted for 30+ TD's each of those seasons. He did lead the league in completion % at 69% which is pretty good, especially when it's attached to production in other areas.

But, last year is what sold me. He lost his OC McVay, lost his two best WR's, his TE got hurt and they had no running game but he still had a very good year. If he's going to put up 4,000+ and 30TD's on a losing team with few weapons, I think he's the real deal.
This. Seriously. What a performance from a guy with every excuse to not put up the numbers.

Add to it that the two receivers that we thought were the reasons his numbers were so inflated ended up having poor seasons with other teams.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Ah, that's a good point. I hadn't thought about Jackson's and Garcon's declines. Although, Garcon' was actually on pace for 80/1,000 with a terrible SF offense. Jimmy GQ should be very pleased to get him back next year.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Ah, that's a good point. I hadn't thought about Jackson's and Garcon's declines. Although, Garcon' was actually on pace for 80/1,000 with a terrible SF offense. Jimmy GQ should be very pleased to get him back next year.
Yeah, Garcon wasn't having a bad year, just not exactly an amazing one. Garcon's age will catch up to him soon.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

Blake Bortles put up 35 TDs and 4400 yards passing on a 5-11 football team 2 years ago, he was also their second leading rusher...that doesn't mean he is worth $30 million.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Blake Bortles put up 35 TDs and 4400 yards passing on a 5-11 football team 2 years ago, he was also their second leading rusher...that doesn't mean he is worth $30 million.
Perhaps, but you have to start somewhere. If a guy puts up the numbers and it isn't just a product of a system and/or benefiting from superior talent around him, he's at least worth considering.

$30M is just the going rate for a top FA QB. Are good QB stats worth the money? No, but IMO if you put Cousins in Denver or Minnesota or the like, they hoist a SB trophy at least once. In which case, he would be worth the money.

Bortles did it once, Cousins has done it 3 years in a row.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
He also accounted for 32 turnovers that year, compared to 37 TDs (passing and rushing). Bortles is the reason his team went in a hole. Gameflow dictated that he had to pass his team back into it in garbage time. Cousins is not the same.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I say Bridgewater or Bradford, maybe even McCown if the others demand no high draft pick QB and trade up for Rosen or Darnold - maybe even Allen although I consider him a much bigger gamble.

Lamar Jackson is just way too inaccurate to make it as an NFL QB. I do not believe it can be taught effectively.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't get the Glennon love. I'd rather have Stanton than Glennon. Glennon was replaced by a rookie.

I completely agree Glennon and Osweiler are both tall guys that suck at being QB's. If either was going to be a quality starter it would have happened by now.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I don't get the Glennon love. I'd rather have Stanton than Glennon. Glennon was replaced by a rookie.
I'm not a huge Glennon fan but that guy has had some really bad luck in the NFL. Chicago's offense last year was really, really bad. Not sure Glennon can be judged too much by that. Let Reid work with him or put him in Philly with Reich and Pederson and I bet he'd be pretty serviceable.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Perhaps, but you have to start somewhere. If a guy puts up the numbers and it isn't just a product of a system and/or benefiting from superior talent around him, he's at least worth considering.

$30M is just the going rate for a top FA QB. Are good QB stats worth the money? No, but IMO if you put Cousins in Denver or Minnesota or the like, they hoist a SB trophy at least once. In which case, he would be worth the money.

Bortles did it once, Cousins has done it 3 years in a row.

If Cousins was a true franchise QB there is no way the Redskins would be moving on, they would have done everything to keep him. That leads me to believe he has flaws and one that is apparent to me he never elevates the team around him. Cousins should be paid top 10-15 money not most overall, he is lucking out with his timing for sure, I just don't trust him to be the guy that gets a team over the hump unless everything around him is set up perfect.

As for Super Bowl trophies with the Broncos I am not so sure that team is bad in a lot of areas and not just QB, the Vikings I can see because they are so close they were a good football team that didn't lose the NFC Championship because they had a back up QB they lost because another back up QB carved them to pieces in the playoffs. Cousins is definitely better than Keenum and if they can get that close with him there is no reason they couldn't do better with a better QB (but to be honest there are a bunch of QBs better than Keenum).

All that being said if he ends up a Cardinal and is Tom Brady Pt2, they could pay him whatever the heck he wants and I wouldn't complain.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
He also accounted for 32 turnovers that year, compared to 37 TDs (passing and rushing). Bortles is the reason his team went in a hole. Gameflow dictated that he had to pass his team back into it in garbage time. Cousins is not the same.

No but when has he elevated his team? Kurt Warner made the Cardinals better in their Super Bowl run, Peyton Manning made any team he was on better, a healthy Andrew Luck makes the Colts a playoff team (without him they pick 3rd overall), Aaron Rodgers makes Green Bay a playoff team without him they are nothing...I haven't seen a single sign that Cousins play elevates his team to a different level then they should be capable of. If you are paying that kind of money he better be able to carry a franchise.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I completely agree Glennon and Osweiler are both tall guys that suck at being QB's. If either was going to be a quality starter it would have happened by now.
People on this board have been clamoring for Glennon for years and I never understood why.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not a huge Glennon fan but that guy has had some really bad luck in the NFL. Chicago's offense last year was really, really bad. Not sure Glennon can be judged too much by that. Let Reid work with him or put him in Philly with Reich and Pederson and I bet he'd be pretty serviceable.
Reich is in Indy now.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
No but when has he elevated his team? Kurt Warner made the Cardinals better in their Super Bowl run, Peyton Manning made any team he was on better, a healthy Andrew Luck makes the Colts a playoff team (without him they pick 3rd overall), Aaron Rodgers makes Green Bay a playoff team without him they are nothing...I haven't seen a single sign that Cousins play elevates his team to a different level then they should be capable of. If you are paying that kind of money he better be able to carry a franchise.
We definitely have differing opinions here. Kurt had two great WRs, and a third capable one. He had a defense that was at least able to bend and not break. Peyton still had Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Pierre Garcon... he was long considered incapable of winning in the playoffs though. It wasn't until they put together a semi-competent defense that the team broke through. Andrew Luck is great, but I think it's more the quality of his backups than it is him raising everyone around him... once he got an extension, that team didn't have much around them, and hasn't had a winning season since. Aaron Rodgers is indeed special.

But let's get to the nitty gritty of it... the problem is, Peyton, Kurt, Andrew, and Aaron aren't available. With one pending exception, they're Hall-of-Fame QBs. Kirk is available. Because the Cardinals played their way into the 15th pick, not the first, he is the best we can do with the resources available to us.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen