Cousins to Vikings (nearly done per this source)

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
So a 6th for Kizer and draft Lauletta in the 2nd round and maybe sign someone cheap as security valve.

I think trading a late pick for Kizer is smart.

I wouldn't go with a rookie as well in that case but I would sign Bradford or trade for Foles (if he plays on current contract).

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
And, yet, so many gave a thumps up to the signing of Garrapollo to the highest contract on record after 7 starts.

I gave that a thumbs up!!

Because it wasnt us.

Niners are all hunky dory now but that contract is gonna hurt over the next couple years.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
If Cousins was a true franchise QB there is no way the Redskins would be moving on, they would have done everything to keep him. That leads me to believe he has flaws and one that is apparent to me he never elevates the team around him. Cousins should be paid top 10-15 money not most overall, he is lucking out with his timing for sure, I just don't trust him to be the guy that gets a team over the hump unless everything around him is set up perfect.

As for Super Bowl trophies with the Broncos I am not so sure that team is bad in a lot of areas and not just QB, the Vikings I can see because they are so close they were a good football team that didn't lose the NFC Championship because they had a back up QB they lost because another back up QB carved them to pieces in the playoffs. Cousins is definitely better than Keenum and if they can get that close with him there is no reason they couldn't do better with a better QB (but to be honest there are a bunch of QBs better than Keenum).

All that being said if he ends up a Cardinal and is Tom Brady Pt2, they could pay him whatever the heck he wants and I wouldn't complain.

it amazes me how many people do not want to take the third QB off the board because, " teams passed on them so they must suck"... but then many of those same people want cousins...when a team has seen exactly what he is in the nfl, and they are passing on him, with nfl experience, in his PRIME"

there is an old saying in football

"Franchise QB's in their prime never come on the market."

know why??

Because franchise QB's in their prime NEVER come on the market.

and they didnt this year either.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
it amazes me how many people do not want to take the third QB off the board because, " teams passed on them so they must suck"... but then many of those same people want cousins...when a team has seen exactly what he is in the nfl, and they are passing on him, with nfl experience, in his PRIME"

there is an old saying in football

"Franchise QB's in their prime never come on the market."

know why??

Because franchise QB's in their prime NEVER come on the market.

and they didnt this year either.
Cousins has proven something in the NFL. I don't want to take the third QB in the draft, give up picks for him, and act excited about it, because the guy hasn't thrown for 25 yards in a game, much less 4,000 in a season.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Cousins has proven something in the NFL. I don't want to take the third QB in the draft, give up picks for him, and act excited about it, because the guy hasn't thrown for 25 yards in a game, much less 4,000 in a season.
he has. I agree.

He has proven he cant get a team to the playoffs. He has proven he shrivels up like a frosty scrotum against division rivals. He has proven he thinks he deserves to be paid as the best player in the NFL...

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
he has. I agree.

He has proven he cant get a team to the playoffs. He has proven he shrivels up like a frosty scrotum against division rivals. He has proven he thinks he deserves to be paid as the best player in the NFL...

Kind of threw up at the frosty scrotum comment, but I agree.

If the asking price for Cousins was 16-18 mil/year, by all means, pick him up. But he's asking for close to 30/year. There are only three QBs in the NFL worth that much and Cousins isn't one of those.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
he has. I agree.

He got the Redskins to the playoffs in his first year as a starter. No, he hasn't played the best against his division, but whatever, I'll keep pointing back to that being the team's fault, and not his.

If the asking price for Cousins was 16-18 mil/year, by all means, pick him up. But he's asking for close to 30/year. There are only three QBs in the NFL worth that much and Cousins isn't one of those.
This is the going rate for QBs now. Every top-15 QB coming up for an extension is going to be making this kind of coin... it's time to just accept that.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
This is the going rate for QBs now. Every top-15 QB coming up for an extension is going to be making this kind of coin... it's time to just accept that.

I'd rather take my chances by paying a rookie QB far less money, solidifying my core and adding more talent rather than dumping that kind of coin on the 15th best QB.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I'd rather take my chances by paying a rookie QB far less money, solidifying my core and adding more talent rather than dumping that kind of coin on the 15th best QB.
All well and good if you can get the right one. When you're picking at 15, you can't really.

Nor are we going to be trending well if we sign a QB and they lead us to another 8-8 season.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

This is exactly my point, Cousins has shown nothing in his career that makes me think he is worthy of being a top 5 paid QB, let alone the highest paid QB.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
We definitely have differing opinions here. Kurt had two great WRs, and a third capable one. He had a defense that was at least able to bend and not break. Peyton still had Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Pierre Garcon... he was long considered incapable of winning in the playoffs though. It wasn't until they put together a semi-competent defense that the team broke through. Andrew Luck is great, but I think it's more the quality of his backups than it is him raising everyone around him... once he got an extension, that team didn't have much around them, and hasn't had a winning season since. Aaron Rodgers is indeed special.

But let's get to the nitty gritty of it... the problem is, Peyton, Kurt, Andrew, and Aaron aren't available. With one pending exception, they're Hall-of-Fame QBs. Kirk is available. Because the Cardinals played their way into the 15th pick, not the first, he is the best we can do with the resources available to us.

Cousins is available because one franchise already decided he wasn’t their future franchise guy and just because he is the best of an average group of free agent QBs does it mean you pay him like he is the best QB period.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Cousins is available because one franchise already decided he wasn’t their future franchise guy and just because he is the best of an average group of free agent QBs does it mean you pay him like he is the best QB period.
Sorry, I don't trust the Redskins' decision making - but besides that, I think the relationship soured so much between management and Cousins that it couldn't be salvaged, and that's why he's on the market.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He got the Redskins to the playoffs in his first year as a starter. No, he hasn't played the best against his division, but whatever, I'll keep pointing back to that being the team's fault, and not his.

The 49ers threw the big monkey wrench into the QB pile by giving JG the contract they did after winning only 5 games for the franchise. That set the bottom rung on the ladder for all the rest of the QBs coming due on a contract. QBs who did more in their career are going to justify asking for more than the amount JG got paid.

Forget what Cousins did for Washington---think of what JG did for the 49ers that got him that huge contract. Is it any wonder then that Cousins (and plenty of others) are now going to use JG's contract as a starting point?

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The Redskins tagged him twice and attempted to sign him long term. When the latter failed, he no longer was their 'franchise guy'.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
How much faith do you put in the Redskins to make sound decisions? This is the same team that bent over for RGIII and is now trying to make up for that by playing hardball with Cousins. And now they are losing him with no compensation. Regardless of how good or bad he is, how the Redskins handled all of this should be an indictment on them and not an indicator of Cousins' "worth".

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Cousins is like 4-19 against teams with a winning record. Likely not ALL his fault but the highest, or one of the highest paid QBs in the league should do better than that. No?

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
he has. I agree.

He want's 30 mil a year guaranteed, which make him the highest paid player in NFL HISTORY! Personally, I just see that level of play.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Cousins is like 4-19 against teams with a winning record. Likely not ALL his fault but the highest, or one of the highest paid QBs in the league should do better than that. No?
It's a fair question but I think it requires examining just how good or bad the team around him was. To take an extreme example, look at Steve Young with the Buccaneers. He was a great, HOF QB ultimately but "he" was only 3-16 as a starter. Shouldn't a HOF QB elevate his team to more wins than that?

The offense Cousins was on last year gave up 41 sacks(most sack yards allowed in NFL), best rusher only had 603 yards, lost Pierre Garcon', lost Deshaun Jackson and Jordan Reed was injured and ineffective in just 6 games and their defense was ranked 27th. It's hard for me to blame Cousins for not taking them to the playoffs when he personally played pretty well.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's a fair question but I think it requires examining just how good or bad the team around him was. To take an extreme example, look at Steve Young with the Buccaneers. He was a great, HOF QB ultimately but "he" was only 3-16 as a starter. Shouldn't a HOF QB elevate his team to more wins than that?

The offense Cousins was on last year gave up 41 sacks(most sack yards allowed in NFL), best rusher only had 603 yards, lost Pierre Garcon', lost Deshaun Jackson and Jordan Reed was injured and ineffective in just 6 games and their defense was ranked 27th. It's hard for me to blame Cousins for not taking them to the playoffs when he personally played pretty well.

I can see both sides but I fall on the "he's not worth $30 mil a year" side.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn