Suns trade ideas for the 2024-25 season

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought I would do a thread for Suns trade ideas for the upcoming season. Of course because of the new CBA, the Suns options are extremely limited.

Gerald Bourguet of PHNX covers some of the Suns possibilities in the linked article below.

Option #5, trading for Miles McBride, caught my eye.

McBride earns $4.7 million next year, he just put up 8.3 points per game on 41 percent shooting from 3 in his third NBA season, and he’d provide the Suns with a backup “point guard.” But he’s also 23 years old, on a rookie contract, and just gave the New York Knicks solid minutes in a playoff run that probably would’ve reached the Eastern Conference Finals if not for their injury woes.

In other words, Nassir Little for Miles McBride straight up isn’t cutting it, and even throwing in a first-rounder might not be worth it for New York. Phoenix would likely want to put protections on its 2031 pick in such an exchange; New York would probably push back hard on that.
In other words, Nassir Little for Miles McBride straight up isn’t cutting it, and even throwing in a first-rounder might not be worth it for New York. Phoenix would likely want to put protections on its 2031 pick in such an exchange; New York would probably push back hard on that.

Remember when the Suns traded Jevon Carter and pick #29 in the 2021 draft for Landry Shamet?

Miles McBride was drafted at #36.

The Suns could have drafted McBride or some other capable player with that pick. Of course, the irony is the Suns passed on two backup point guards for Shamet, a position they now need. And they traded Cam Payne for essentially nothing.

I could easily go back further, but it's even more painful.

Anyway, it's a good article by Bourguet.

Last edited:

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What would we want that the Knicks have?

Prudent or not, this Knicks front office has at least partially operated towards this goal since the beginning, so expect them to target guys like Donovan Mitchell, Devin Booker, Paul George, Joel Embiid, and Giannis Antetokounmpo vigorously.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought I would do a thread for Suns trade ideas for the upcoming season. Of course because of the new CBA, the Suns options are extremely limited.

Gerald Bourguet of PHNX covers some of the Suns possibilities in the linked article below.

Option #5, trading for Miles McBride, caught my eye.

Remember when the Suns traded Jevon Carter and pick #29 in the 2021 draft for Landry Shamet?

Miles McBride was drafted at #36.

The Suns could have drafted McBride or some other capable player with that pick. Of course, the irony is the Suns passed on two backup point guards for Shamet, a position they now need. And they traded Cam Payne for essentially nothing.

I could easily go back further, but it's even more painful.

Anyway, it's a good article by Bourguet.

Of all of those trades, Nick Richards was the only appealing option. I'd gamble there because I think a big we draft will be no better than he is.

Of course that final option of Torrey Craig made me laugh and then get a little angry. Knowing his salary is so close to Roddy, the trade for Roddy now makes sense. We're going to trade him for Craig this off-season or before the deadline. If that happens, I hope someone gets me bail money because James Jones and I are going to have a discussion.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of all of those trades, Nick Richards was the only appealing option. I'd gamble there because I think a big we draft will be no better than he is.

Of course that final option of Torrey Craig made me laugh and then get a little angry. Knowing his salary is so close to Roddy, the trade for Roddy now makes sense. We're going to trade him for Craig this off-season or before the deadline. If that happens, I hope someone gets me bail money because James Jones and I are going to have a discussion.

I like Richards and Pritchard among others, preferably Richards, but it takes two to tango. We really don't know who is available right now that fits the trade criteria.

How I wish the idea of adding Torrey Craig would fade away.

I hope the Suns investigate the possibility of trading down in the draft and add both a player and a pick.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hoop Head and Mainstreet, i'm on the fire JJ wagon now. This should be his last season as GM to make or break this team, just reviewing and listening to all the moves we made with players, coaches, and draft picks...this should be his last year given the outcome of this upcoming season. The only thing that made it bearable so far is the Finals season. I realized the finals season has been making things seem better than they actually are, and we didn't even win the Finals.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Richards and Pritchard among others, preferably Richards, but it takes two to tango. We really don't know who is available right now that fits the trade criteria.

How I wish the idea of adding Torrey Craig would fade away.

I hope the Suns investigate the possibility of trading down in the draft and add both a player and a pick.
I mean do you guys really want to give up a future first for any of these losers?

Do you not realize Miami finds a player of this quality on the street every season?

Management has just lost it's mind.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean do you guys really want to give up a future first for any of these losers?

Do you not realize Miami finds a player of this quality on the street every season?

Until James Jones changes his mindset about the draft, there are not a lot of options.

I'm hoping the Suns having a G-League team will put a floodlight on the subject.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Until James Jones changes his mindset about the draft, there are not a lot of options.

I'm hoping the Suns having a G-League team will put a floodlight on the subject.
Look our 2031 pick is going to be a lottery pick, quite possibly top 5. Nobody we can get with it today can possibly be worth that - especially when you realize we will still be a far inferior team to OKC, Minnesota, and Denver.

I would rather throw a dart at a list of prospects and make a pick than give the 22nd pick away - at least there is a chance we could get someone that surprises. None of these deep bench guys are going to make an impact.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look our 2031 pick is going to be a lottery pick, quite possibly top 5. Nobody we can get with it today can possibly be worth that - especially when you realize we will still be a far inferior team to OKC, Minnesota, and Denver.

I would rather throw a dart at a list of prospects and make a pick than give the 22nd pick away - at least there is a chance we could get someone that surprises. None of these deep bench guys are going to make an impact.

The Suns used to be good at scouting and finding good players with later picks. However, it takes commitment to do so.

I don't think James Jones is the right GM for the job.

My first signature says a lot:

"Devin is great, but there are 50 skeletons tied to that swing for the star." James Jones

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'm fine trading the pick this year with Little, not our 2031 pick, for Nick Richards. That's a gamble I'll take. I want a surefire rotation player for that 2031 pick.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm fine trading the pick this year with Little, not our 2031 pick, for Nick Richards. That's a gamble I'll take. I want a surefire rotation player for that 2031 pick.
I mean I guess that would be borderline ok, but I would rather take a rookie big at 22 just for more upside potential.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Ironically for the value of contracts, there seem to be more guys at Little's price range that could be an 8th or 9th player on the roster versus Little not playing. The flip side is you take a chance drafting a guy at 22, and then hope Coach Bud will actually develop Little, who has shown flashes, into a solid bench guy. In sort spurts I have seen Little is a willing three shooter on a team where a lot of our guys pass up open looks at threes, and he can play some defense. I think he does have potential. I would like to see us use the 22cnd pick, but if we get a player that can matter, I would be open to a trade. T just think if we do the Nurkic trade, unless we get a center in return, we are digging another hole on this team. We can trade Nurkic for two players in return according to Bobby Marks. That opens possibilities.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ironically for the value of contracts, there seem to be more guys at Little's price range that could be an 8th or 9th player on the roster versus Little not playing. The flip side is you take a chance drafting a guy at 22, and then hope Coach Bud will actually develop Little, who has shown flashes, into a solid bench guy. In sort spurts I have seen Little is a willing three shooter on a team where a lot of our guys pass up open looks at threes, and he can play some defense. I think he does have potential. I would like to see us use the 22cnd pick, but if we get a player that can matter, I would be open to a trade. T just think if we do the Nurkic trade, unless we get a center in return, we are digging another hole on this team. We can trade Nurkic for two players in return according to Bobby Marks. That opens possibilities.

Little is one of the least durable players we have, which is saying something. If he was able to stay healthy I could see him as a Derrick Jones Jr type of player but he couldn't even stay healthy playing 15 minutes a game here and there. He's one bench player I don't fault Vogel for going back to since he would and then Little would get banged up and be on the injury report for a week.

If JJ can play the role of salesman, he calls other teams selling him as a DJJ 2.0 and convinces someone that's true and to give up a big or a PG for him. Moving him for another wing doesn't add up. Trading players who occupy the same position never does. One team essentially admits they're taking the lesser player in those swaps and you pay to downgrade because there's usually something happening behind the scenes.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Little is one of the least durable players we have, which is saying something. If he was able to stay healthy I could see him as a Derrick Jones Jr type of player but he couldn't even stay healthy playing 15 minutes a game here and there. He's one bench player I don't fault Vogel for going back to since he would and then Little would get banged up and be on the injury report for a week.

If JJ can play the role of salesman, he calls other teams selling him as a DJJ 2.0 and convinces someone that's true and to give up a big or a PG for him. Moving him for another wing doesn't add up. Trading players who occupy the same position never does. One team essentially admits they're taking the lesser player in those swaps and you pay to downgrade because there's usually something happening behind the scenes.
Agreed. The other scenario is taking on a guy who makes more money, which we cannot do. Getting a player for a non player is a no brainer. Giving up the 22cnd pick to do it, that's where the debate comes in.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Heavy.com has 2 different articles with potential KD trades. I'd be cool with both, although neither is great.

Suns send KD to Denver for MPJ and KCP plus 1st round picks in 2028 and 2030.

This is a 3 team trade sending KD to Golden State.

Suns Receive: Jonathan Kuminga, Brandin Podziemski, Kevon Looney, Caleb Houstan, 2025 first-round pick from Orlando (via Denver), 2026 first-round pick from Golden State, 2028 first-round pick from Golden State

Magic Receive: Chris Paul, Gary Payton II, 2028 second-round pick (via Boston)

Warriors Receive: Durant and Jett Howard

We get less in talent but more in potential and more cap relief in the 3 team deal.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Heavy.com has 2 different articles with potential KD trades. I'd be cool with both, although neither is great.

Suns send KD to Denver for MPJ and KCP plus 1st round picks in 2028 and 2030.

This is a 3 team trade sending KD to Golden State.

Suns Receive: Jonathan Kuminga, Brandin Podziemski, Kevon Looney, Caleb Houstan, 2025 first-round pick from Orlando (via Denver), 2026 first-round pick from Golden State, 2028 first-round pick from Golden State

Magic Receive: Chris Paul, Gary Payton II, 2028 second-round pick (via Boston)

Warriors Receive: Durant and Jett Howard

We get less in talent but more in potential and more cap relief in the 3 team deal.

The Denver trade would be very on brand, Durant looking to join a team he can't beat. One year with KD and Jokic probably decides to raise horses... if those picks are not protected they could be gold

The Warriors... I wish. I think the Warriors are well aware of their position and wouldn't gut their future. Also, I don't think any of those guys like each other. I am certain that Green and Durant don't

Reaction score
I just remembered that Bradley Beal's contract from the Wizards had a no-trade clause, making him untradable. (Unless, I assume, he consented to a trade and waived the clause. Which he must have, in order for the Wizards to trade him to the Suns.)

With that being settled, can anyone explain why few or no other players have no-trade clauses? Is it only that no other high-profile players but Beal wanted one? I assume no, it's much more likely that owners don't like them and therefore won't cooperate with giving them. It places financial restrictions on them.

Since Beal is the only one of the big three that it makes any sense to trade, I hope that some contender wants him, giving him reason to consider waiving his NTC.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just remembered that Bradley Beal's contract from the Wizards had a no-trade clause, making him untradable. (Unless, I assume, he consented to a trade and waived the clause. Which he must have, in order for the Wizards to trade him to the Suns.)

With that being settled, can anyone explain why few or no other players have no-trade clauses? Is it only that no other high-profile players but Beal wanted one? I assume no, it's much more likely that owners don't like them and therefore won't cooperate with giving them. It places financial restrictions on them.

No trade clauses are becoming a thing of the past. For a player to qualify for a clause they need no less than 8 years in the league and at least 4 consecutive years at the franchise offering the no trade clause. It also can't be added into an extension, only a new deal. Beal was a free agent when he re-upped with Washington a few years back and they added that clause to entice him to stay.

Beyond the criteria for qualifying for one, owners aren't fans. One of the last players who had one before Beal was Carmelo Anthony in New York and he raised a stink about how he wanted out of NY but only wanted to go to like 2 teams. OKC stepped up and he finally agreed to expand the list for them but then OKC was stuck with his awful contract.

They really aren't something that benefits the team at all. With how it needs to be a fresh new deal also, players would sooner get the security of an extension also. See Devin Booker for an example.

Edit - plus it might make sense for a team to want that for a player when theyre in their late 20's but theyre not going to willingly sacrifice that clause down the line so ultimately it ends up following them for the remainder of their tenure somewhere, long past their prime.