2024 NBA Draft talk: Suns own pick 22

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just feel because of the development time of guys where we could draft in our spots, we will be trading those picks. I guess the best you could hope for,, would be to hold the pick and see who drops, but have tales predetermined based on if we want to trade the pick. Probably too much for a potential trade partner to want to wait. Of course the opposite is true, if someone becomes available we could really use, you jump on trading that pick.

I believe your view of rookies is outdated. Look at what Lively has done for Dallas this year in his rookie season. He wasn't a top 5 pick, I believe he was #12 overall. Rookies contribute regularly in the league. It doesn't take 3-4 years for a guy to start contributing, especially role players. We should be capable of finding someone who is better than a minimum signing that can play some minutes here and there. We don't need a star to start, we need a role player who can play 15 minutes or more.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I believe your view of rookies is outdated. Look at what Lively has done for Dallas this year in his rookie season. He wasn't a top 5 pick, I believe he was #12 overall. Rookies contribute regularly in the league. It doesn't take 3-4 years for a guy to start contributing, especially role players. We should be capable of finding someone who is better than a minimum signing that can play some minutes here and there. We don't need a star to start, we need a role player who can play 15 minutes or more.
That's true if you get a Cam Johnson or a Bridges. Not a Ty Jerome. The vet has the benefit of you know he can play in the NBA. Rookies are a risk. We are talking the Suns picking in the twenties too.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's true if you get a Cam Johnson or a Bridges. Not a Ty Jerome. The vet has the benefit of you know he can play in the NBA. Rookies are a risk. We are talking the Suns picking in the twenties too.

I vehemently disagree; especially in our situation.

Given our salary situation and trade limitations, any vet we trade for will be very obviously flawed.

I don't think vets in the price range we're looking at are "non risk" in any shape whatsoever. Established, impactful players that make under 7 million do not exist in the modern NBA. The only guys in that contract range are vet min guys or players on their rookie contract, and no one is trading a difference maker on their rookie deal for the 22nd pick in the draft.

Vet players who make that kind of money are dudes like Torrey Craig.

I'd rather take the risk on a rookie, who at least has a possibility of real upside, than some vet who we can only nab in our price range because they've already proven themselves as a marginal player.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Bottom line is he better than Nurkic? If not, and we keep Nurkic, we may have only upgraded back up center at best. We only have one or two moves about vet minimum this off season. We need to maximize those moves.
I think he’s a better scorer than nurkic. And he’s a lot younger without all the injuries.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Eh, using a guy whose not ever going to be a legit nba player as an example of a guy who needs time to become one isn’t a good argument.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns can't aggregate salaries going out, their trade options are very limited, with Nasir Little being a likely candidate.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Marcus Smart or Markaanen both can work with Nurkic

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Eh, using a guy whose not ever going to be a legit nba player as an example of a guy who needs time to become one isn’t a good argument.
It's called reality. We did pick that player expecting him to be a good player. It happens. I used guys we got under JJ for a reason. You really trust him to get a pick at number 22 right?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
He's not better than Nurk. He's a raw rookie. No one we draft will be better than Nurkic for at least 2-3 years, at best. That's wishful thinking. No one available at 22 will be a starter, nor should they be expected to be one.

We need a backup to Nurk, one that's better than Eubanks. Preferably a backup with a different skill set who can shoot 3's so we can change our style without Nurk in and match teams betters.

I'm not sure why you're asking if he's better than Nurkic though. Our options are extremely limited and that's been discussed. We aren't upgrading our C spot easily or at all, short of a KD trade. We're not going to be able to trade Nurkic for someone better than him. Why would the other team do that? No one else is helping us retool. We need to hit where we can and hope the small upgrades we make payoff.
That's where I am going with this. Lots of people are saying trade Nurkic. We are already small and trading Nurkic for a non big will make us smaller. Also, it could potentially make us worse. I thought the idea is getting better? IDK if trading Nurkic necessarily does that. It his price range, remember we have to trade for same value or less, he's arguably probably the better option at that price range if you look up NBA salaries. We are already weak at rebounding, which he is almost our sole source for that. Realistically, unless a big just happens to fall in our laps for vet minimum, I son't see Nurkic getting traded.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I vehemently disagree; especially in our situation.

Given our salary situation and trade limitations, any vet we trade for will be very obviously flawed.

I don't think vets in the price range we're looking at are "non risk" in any shape whatsoever. Established, impactful players that make under 7 million do not exist in the modern NBA. The only guys in that contract range are vet min guys or players on their rookie contract, and no one is trading a difference maker on their rookie deal for the 22nd pick in the draft.

Vet players who make that kind of money are dudes like Torrey Craig.

I'd rather take the risk on a rookie, who at least has a possibility of real upside, than some vet who we can only nab in our price range because they've already proven themselves as a marginal player.
I can see your point. Unfortunately, I don't believe James Jones believes that.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I guess bottom line is we will see how good JJ really is this off season. I haven't seen anyone we could trade for that moves the needle. Possibly we can get a role player for little and a draft pick that would take Little who we aren't playing for a player we assume will play. If we keep the pick/picks we are assuming JJ will pick pieces that will be NBA ready, at least in a role player role. It's not going to be an easy task, that is for sure.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marcus Smart or Markaanen both can work with Nurkic

I can't see the Jazz parting with Lauri Markkanen even for two first round picks and Nurkic.

In regard to Marcus Smart, I don't think the salaries work as Smart makes more money. However, my CBA math is extremely shaky.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I can't see the Jazz parting with Lauri Markkanen even for two first round picks and Nurkic.

In regard to Marcus Smart, I don't think the salaries work as Smart makes more money. However, my CBA math is extremely shaky.
It's easy now. We can only trade for exactly what the value of the player is we are trading away, or less.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Remind me why teams could be interested in Little when he did not get playing time here. Is it because the team was stacked with players in his position and that they all were considered better?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Remind me why teams could be interested in Little when he did not get playing time here. Is it because the team was stacked with players in his position and that they all were considered better?
Supposedly guys who are in his category bounce around the league based on being young and having potential in the "right" situation. However, we would most likely be getting a guy like that back, or a much older vet to make room for a younger guy on an opposing teams roster to get more minutes.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Suns would likely have to sweeten a trade with Little by adding a draft pick.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It's called reality. We did pick that player expecting him to be a good player. It happens. I used guys we got under JJ for a reason. You really trust him to get a pick at number 22 right?
Perhaps it misunderstood your argument. I thought that you were arguing that rookies needed time and were using Jerome as an example of that. If your point is do I trust jones with finding a player at 22? The answer to that is no. Particularly in a noted weak draft. If you can get a legit nba player for the 22, do it.