College Basketball 2017-18

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Talented kid but I spent a year on UCLA boards saying I couldn't understand why Alford was recruiting him and was so happy when he finally wised up and dropped him. Kansas has now played 2 games, Preston has been suspended for both. First one he missed both class and curfew, now they're concerned the car he's driving and crashed was obtained improperly.

As a player he reminds me of a bigger Billy Owens, but he's going to drive Self nuts this year IMO.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Talented kid but I spent a year on UCLA boards saying I couldn't understand why Alford was recruiting him and was so happy when he finally wised up and dropped him. Kansas has now played 2 games, Preston has been suspended for both. First one he missed both class and curfew, now they're concerned the car he's driving and crashed was obtained improperly.

As a player he reminds me of a bigger Billy Owens, but he's going to drive Self nuts this year IMO.

Self takes a lot of chances. Speaking of, Carlton Bragg is eligible for ASU next season and they should be pretty good. Romello White and their new JC center are already playing well so far. Hurley seems to be gaining momentum.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

KU traded one soft PF headcase (Bragg) for what seems to be another soft PF headcase. We already are thin down low and this just accentuates the problem. Preston was plan B after Ayton was paid for though ;).

Good thoughts and hope this gets resolved well for all parties involved.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
KU traded one soft PF headcase (Bragg) for what seems to be another soft PF headcase. We already are thin down low and this just accentuates the problem. Preston was plan B after Ayton was paid for though ;).

Good thoughts and hope this gets resolved well for all parties involved.

At least there's Lightfoot to fill in for Preston. ;)

Grimes is announcing today probably KU. That backcourt with Dotson and Cunliffe will be scary.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At least there's Lightfoot to fill in for Preston. ;)

Grimes is announcing today probably KU. That backcourt with Dotson and Cunliffe will be scary.

There is potential that de Sousa can join the team in Dec, although I don't know how much a Freshman that hasn't practiced with the team at all can contribute. After Lightfoot we have a damn walk-on.

BTW, how bad is AZ HS basketball that Lightfoot was POTY?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Self takes a lot of chances. Speaking of, Carlton Bragg is eligible for ASU next season and they should be pretty good. Romello White and their new JC center are already playing well so far. Hurley seems to be gaining momentum.

I thought Bragg was AWOL or something?

The crazy thing is with the UCLA 3, Billy Preston looks like a well behaved kid in comparison.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As much political as sports but the more Trump touts his impact on getting the UCLA players out, the more I doubt he actually did anything. They were already on bail before he even heard about it, he admits he didn't hear about it until several days after they were out. Given the initial predictions were weeks before they could get bail and they were out in 12 hours, I think it's likely all Trump is doing is taking credit for something that was already happening

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As much political as sports but the more Trump touts his impact on getting the UCLA players out, the more I doubt he actually did anything. They were already on bail before he even heard about it, he admits he didn't hear about it until several days after they were out. Given the initial predictions were weeks before they could get bail and they were out in 12 hours, I think it's likely all Trump is doing is taking credit for something that was already happening

Have you seen this?

Do you think the three UCLA Basketball Players will say thank you President Trump? They were headed for 10 years in jail!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 15, 2017

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you seen this?

Do you think the three UCLA Basketball Players will say thank you President Trump? They were headed for 10 years in jail!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 15, 2017

Yes that's actually what prompted my post this morning.

CNN had a Republican Representative on live this morning talking about Trump, praising him,talking up tax reform etc.They then asked him what he thought about the tweet about the UCLA players and he was caught off guard, couldn't hide his real reaction and he just rolled his eyes and smirked and then said "well as someone on your show said earlier that's classic Trump".

CNN is being coy about it they clearly think like I do he's taking credit for it.

I think the US State Department absolutely played a role, not sure Trump did. I guess I shouldn't care the important thing is they all got home safely and now UCLA can punish them and move forward, I just hate to see him using it for political gain.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or as Coach K states, 1 game.

I don't think UCLA could pull a coach K if they wanted to. As Guerrero said at the presser, UCLA had to pony up for legal expenses and now they have to figure out both how that's going to be reimbursed, and how they're going to reconcile that with the NCAA. I'm betting the NCAA will require at least 9 games depending on how much the legal costs were. He said bail was only about $2200 US dollars, I have no idea what the legal costs are but the general standard is 500 bucks =3 games, up to 1000 is 6 games, over 1000 is 9 games and it moves up on a sliding scale. It would not surprise me at all if the NCAA suspension winds up being the whole year given what legal fees could be.

The interesting thing to me was they all 3 said the word shoplifting, and Dan clearly said at 3 stores. Makes me wonder did each player take 1 item from one store, or did they all steal from multiple stores? To me that makes a huge difference on how UCLA should handle them on the UCLA portion of the suspension. Once is bad, at 3 different stores is a whole other level of bad.

If I understood Dan correctly he indicated that even though the charges were dropped, all 3 players had admitted guilt, I think he said that to make it clear people speculating UCLA couldn't be too hard on them because there are no formal charges, are wrong, that UCLA has the authority to use their confessions as backup if they decide to come down hard on them.

At this point it seems unlikely they're going to expel them, I don't think they would have let the players speak if that were the case.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose