U of A defeats TAMU 67-64
Wichita State defeats South Dakota State 95-85
Michigan State defeats Rutgers 62-52
Duke defeats St. Francis (PA) 124-67

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't see a second of the game but how in the hell did UW beat Kansas at Kansas by double digits?

That's one of the bigger upsets in recent years unless KU had a key player(s) missing?

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
UW defeats Kansas 74-65
Loyola-Chicago defeats Florida 65-59
North Carolina defeats Western Carolina 104-61
Xavier defeats Kent State 96-70

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Didn't see a second of the game but how in the hell did UW beat Kansas at Kansas by double digits?

That's one of the bigger upsets in recent years unless KU had a key player(s) missing?

First, it was in KC, not Lawrence. Technically Missouri ;)

We had played Syracuse the game before and destroyed them with lobs and 3PT when the zone collapsed. So this game UW gives us the high post WIDE OPEN all game basically playing 4-on-3 at the perimeter and 1-on-2 in the post. Vick played the high post and shot 12-23(!) for 28 points. Only other KU player in double figures was Doke at 10 (we're a team with 4 players avg 12 PPG).

Vick started each half dominating the offense, but eventually got the yips missing 8 footers because one man isn't supposed to ball hog. Well UW was forcing him to because he was the only one open all night. He should have scored 50.

By taking out the other 4 players in the offense, as young kids do, they checked out on defense. If we had played aggressive team defense and just let Vick dominate on offense as a one man team we would have won the game. Instead Self got out coached. I don't know what we learn from this outside of you lose when you play soft defense, but we'll not see a defense against us like this again. It was oddly unique, baffling, and very successful.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First, it was in KC, not Lawrence. Technically Missouri ;)

We had played Syracuse the game before and destroyed them with lobs and 3PT when the zone collapsed. So this game UW gives us the high post WIDE OPEN all game basically playing 4-on-3 at the perimeter and 1-on-2 in the post. Vick played the high post and shot 12-23(!) for 28 points. Only other KU player in double figures was Doke at 10 (we're a team with 4 players avg 12 PPG).

Vick started each half dominating the offense, but eventually got the yips missing 8 footers because one man isn't supposed to ball hog. Well UW was forcing him to because he was the only one open all night. He should have scored 50.

By taking out the other 4 players in the offense, as young kids do, they checked out on defense. If we had played aggressive team defense and just let Vick dominate on offense as a one man team we would have won the game. Instead Self got out coached. I don't know what we learn from this outside of you lose when you play soft defense, but we'll not see a defense against us like this again. It was oddly unique, baffling, and very successful.

Interesting. UW is improving they're getting that zone down and they have some length but this is not a good UW team by any stretch so seeing that score just stunned me.

I know Kansas lacks depth and size but I just assumed you had to be missing a key guy or something to lose to UW.

Basketball is a crazy sport sometimes, Cal lost to Central Arkansas last night, the same Cal team that damn near beat Wichita State earlier in the year.

And Florida lost a huge upset too.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Interesting. UW is improving they're getting that zone down and they have some length but this is not a good UW team by any stretch so seeing that score just stunned me.

I know Kansas lacks depth and size but I just assumed you had to be missing a key guy or something to lose to UW.

Basketball is a crazy sport sometimes, Cal lost to Central Arkansas last night, the same Cal team that damn near beat Wichita State earlier in the year.

And Florida lost a huge upset too.

Well I mean, Preston is still out and having him step in so Vick wasn't the only guy in the high post position might have helped a bit, but we just beat ourselves. A Dec non-con loss isn't the end of the world. We also play much worse at Sprint than at Phog.

Hell, Thybulle went 5-8 from behind the arc (12-44 before this game) and KU went 5-20 as a team.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I mean, Preston is still out and having him step in so Vick wasn't the only guy in the high post position might have helped a bit, but we just beat ourselves. A Dec non-con loss isn't the end of the world. We also play much worse at Sprint than at Phog.

Hell, Thybulle went 5-8 from behind the arc (12-44 before this game) and KU went 5-20 as a team.

Yeah I of course take no solace in pointing out that UW replaced Fultz with Jaylen Nowell, replaced Romar with Hopkins, and are now 6-2 with largely the same "no talent" roster (including missing 2 key bigs) that was so terrible last year.

Still stunned they beat Kansas but I guess any given night, and maybe they are better than the last time I saw them play.

The Pac 12 is nuts right now ASU is probably the best team in the conference. Arizona, USC and UCLA are all nowhere near as good as projected to be, Stanford is a huge flop so far, so I guess ASU and UW are the pleasant surprises.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanESPN

New Orleans 7-foot-3 freshman Bol Reik has finally been certified by the NCAA and can play. Coach Mark Slessinger told ESPN he’s put on nearly 25 pounds since July. Riek is from South Sudan, went to high school at Mooseheart High in Illinois.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..