2016-17 Around the NBA

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know the consensus is that Knight sucks, but does anybody else think that trading Bledsoe could also get us the Knight that played for the Bucks back?

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Report: Jimmy Butler, Karl-Anthony Towns recruiting Kyrie Irving to Minnesota
When Draymond Green and other members of the Warriors spent time recruiting Kevin Durant to come to Golden State it made sense — he was about to be a free agent who could make his own choices. Watching players such as C.J. McCollum and Damian Lillard recruit Carmelo Anthony to Portland makes sense — ‘Melo has a no-trade clause so he needs to waive it to go anywhere, so recruiting makes sense.

This one makes less sense, but it is happening — Jimmy Butler and Karl-Anthony Towns are recruiting Kyrie Irving to come play in Minnesota. Brian Windhorst of ESPN has the reporting.
http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/07/22...y-towns-recruiting-kyrie-irving-to-minnesota/

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I want no part of Irving. He's a loser who wants to chuck his way to 30 a night and have no one call him out on his nonexistent defense. I don't think he even makes us a playoff team and who is he going to recruit here when he can't handle sharing with the least selfish star in the league?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I want no part of Irving. He's a loser who wants to chuck his way to 30 a night and have no one call him out on his nonexistent defense. I don't think he even makes us a playoff team and who is he going to recruit here when he can't handle sharing with the least selfish star in the league?

He is a 25 year old who was the second best player on a championship team and has gone to the finals as the second best player on that team for three years in a row. Your definition of a winner must be very narrow.

He is a better offensive player than Booker--a better defensive player than Booker too.

If you have a chance to pick up a 25 year old star player without giving up your young core, you do it.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He is a 25 year old who was the second best player on a championship team and has gone to the finals as the second best player on that team for three years in a row. Your definition of a winner must be very narrow.

He is a better offensive player than Booker--a better defensive player than Booker too.

If you have a chance to pick up a 25 year old star player without giving up your young core, you do it.
With him on the court without LeBron the cavs were terrible.

And again, what does it say about him that he wants out of that situation... andd this isn't him vs Booker, it would be him AND Booker, which seems like an awful pairing.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With him on the court without LeBron the cavs were terrible.

And again, what does it say about him that he wants out of that situation... andd this isn't him vs Booker, it would be him AND Booker, which seems like an awful pairing.
It says he is smart. Griffin is gone. They are operating without a GM right now. LeBron won't commit after next year, even in a non-binding private way. He sees the handwriting on the wall and he is trying to get out. His contract is very decent for a player of his caliber.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Everyone wants to win, question is can he. That being said, anyone who wants to leave lebron behind is either an idiot or is supremely confident in their ability. The idea of trading for him is growing on me then, especially as I'm not Bledsoe's biggest fan at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And he should be loyal to Lebron why. Uh Lebrons gonna leave him at the end of the year.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes. I would not read anything into Kyrie wanting to leave LeBron. If LeBron was a free agent right now, he would be gone. They can win the EC championship every year and lose to the Warriors every year. They can Buffalo Bill the next four years or they can each go somewhere new and try to build something. The Cavs can't even find a GM right now.

I would be surprised if Kyrie want to STAY./

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still don't understand why anybody would want Melo.

I can't either but perhaps Carmelo still has star appeal.

If a team has a couple of stars, he could be the third.

I think this is how it works for a team trying to add or replace a star. :D

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It says he is smart. Griffin is gone. They are operating without a GM right now. LeBron won't commit after next year, even in a non-binding private way. He sees the handwriting on the wall and he is trying to get out. His contract is very decent for a player of his caliber.

Every report says it's about wanting to be the focal point and to get out from under lebrons shadow.

I don't know how to take that other than he won't be happy unless he is THE star on a team. And I don't think a team with Irving as its best player contends... hell, I don't think it would even be good.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
If Gilbert had half a brain he'd trade Lebron and get some pieces to go with Irving.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I still don't understand why anybody would want Melo.

Especially odd considering they'd be trading Irving who is the PG version of Melo. If Bledsoe ends up in Cleveland i wonder how much his defense would improve considering he'd have less responsibility on offense.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Every report says it's about wanting to be the focal point and to get out from under lebrons shadow.

I don't know how to take that other than he won't be happy unless he is THE star on a team. And I don't think a team with Irving as its best player contends... hell, I don't think it would even be good.

That's just idle gossip. Have you heard Kyrie say that?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It may not have been verbalized by Kyrie but there are plenty of reports to support he wants to be the focal point of his own team.

The reason, according to multiple sources, is that Irving no longer wants a secondary role playing alongside LeBron James and wants an opportunity to play for a team where he is its focal point — something obviously impossible on any team with James on it. The 25-year-old Irving was second on the Cavs to James in scoring last season, averaging a career-best 25.4 points per game and posting the highest Player Efficiency Rating (23) of his career.

Irving’s agent, Jeff Wechsler, said by phone Friday: “What I can tell you is we had a meeting a couple of weeks ago, and we sat down and discussed Kyrie’s future with the team and all the scenarios. The contents of that meeting we’re going to keep between the team and us.”

"(Irving) said he wanted to be the focal point, wanted to be the franchise player and no longer wanted to play alongside LeBron,” one source said.

by David Aldridge TNT Analyst

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/07/21/kyrie-irving-seeks-trade-cavaliers-chance-be-leader

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, it's literally the only reasoning we've seen attached to his trade request, so either he does not want out at all and it is all BS or he is clown who'd rather be the man on a crap team than actually contend.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Gilbert had half a brain he'd trade Lebron and get some pieces to go with Irving.

Disagree 1000%, you put LeBron on any team in this league and they're a title contender, you put Irving as the focal point and thus far the result puts you in contention for the top pick in the lotto.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Disagree 1000%, you put LeBron on any team in this league and they're a title contender, you put Irving as the focal point and thus far the result puts you in contention for the top pick in the lotto.
If LBJ is leaving at the end of the year anyway what's the point of going through the motions for another year and let him walk for nothing?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Totally disagree about Kyrie. He is much more valuable than you give him credit. You look at one stat being shown over and over on ESPN, but that does not tell the story.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If LBJ is leaving at the end of the year anyway what's the point of going through the motions for another year and let him walk for nothing?

Fine, then either he does not want out at all and the media is lying... or he wants out because he cannot handle not being "the man"... take your pick.
Totally disagree about Kyrie. He is much more valuable than you give him credit. You look at one stat being shown over and over on ESPN, but that does not tell the story.

No, I've felt this way about him for years, you pull a "Irving" post by me from any point and you'll see my stance has not changed. He is an empty stat ball hog, nothing more, nothing less. LeBron is dragging that team around, without him I questing if they could even make the playoffs... before he arrived they were the worst team in the league and without him on the court they out up the stats that rival the worst teams in the NBA.

Irving is a chucker who players absolutely zero defense and does nothing to make the players around him better. The stats back that up, his reasoning for wanting out backs that up. If you want the Suns to be a perpetual 30-40 win team with an all-star stat rending PG... then Irving is your boy, if you aspire for something more then I'd venture well away from him. He cannot handle not being "the man" and a team with him as "the man" is going no where.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Fine, then either he does not want out at all and the media is lying... or he wants out because he cannot handle not being "the man"... take your pick.

No, I've felt this way about him for years, you pull a "Irving" post by me from any point and you'll see my stance has not changed. He is an empty stat ball hog, nothing more, nothing less. LeBron is dragging that team around, without him I questing if they could even make the playoffs... before he arrived they were the worst team in the league and without him on the court they out up the stats that rival the worst teams in the NBA.

Irving is a chucker who players absolutely zero defense and does nothing to make the players around him better. The stats back that up, his reasoning for wanting out backs that up. If you want the Suns to be a perpetual 30-40 win team with an all-star stat rending PG... then Irving is your boy, if you aspire for something more then I'd venture well away from him. He cannot handle not being "the man" and a team with him as "the man" is going no where.

These type of post are just a joke. Some people are so black and white, dude he played amazing in the playoffs the last two years he was flat out breathtaking in the finals this year, but to make him sound like he's just some bum is a joke

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the love of God, no Kevin Love!!!

I'm agnostic on Kyrie.

Him and Booker would be an insanely good offensive backcourt, but an insanely bad defensive one.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn