2016-17 Around the NBA

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The problem with that trade isn't about what Thomas became, because there are unknowns like that in any equation. It's that the trade was made in panic, and rationalized with the inane argument that, since the Suns had acquired Thomas cheaply, they weren't "losing" very much by giving him away. Does a championship-level front office make mistakes like that?
Every front office makes mistakes. They learn.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The next time the Suns will be a championship-level front office will be the first. 'Still hoping to see it in our lifetimes, Eric.
Sigh. Can't stop ripping on Jerry Colangelo.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The problem with that trade isn't about what Thomas became, because there are unknowns like that in any equation. It's that the trade was made in panic, and rationalized with the inane argument that, since the Suns had acquired Thomas cheaply, they weren't "losing" very much by giving him away. Does a championship-level front office make mistakes like that?

We had Dragic, Bledsoe, and Thomas and one of them was complaining about not getting playing time. I think it was the short one...

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Appreciated the read on IT. Hope he has a good year and is successful in Cleveland. I might like him more than how much I dislike paddy quack James and besides I'm not high on baby face and the guys anymore. So whatever man. As long as the Suns are not competing and the Lakers are not winning I'm Luke Warm.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
BC867 said:
The next time the Suns will be a championship-level front office will be the first. 'Still hoping to see it in our lifetimes, Eric.
Sigh. Can't stop ripping on Jerry Colangelo.
'Sorry, but your trying to turn my opinion into a 6-word personal comment doesn't change the Suns half-century history of never being a championship-level front office. That was the comment I addressed.

If anything, Jerry's approach (Put on a good show at home -- Don't embarrass yourself on the road -- Make an appearance in the playoffs) has regressed under his hand-picked successor, Robert Sarver.

Do you really believe that a Suns fan, who has put his heart into the team for almost 50 years, doesn't have the right to have expected more? How many years has it been since we have made the playoffs?

Remember, "fan" is short for "fanatic". :)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Better than the other way around...

not if you've seen his wife.

(NOTE: TOTAL JOKE THERE... I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT BC'S WIFE IS LIKE AND I'M SURE SHE'S ABSOLUTELY LOVELY, BUT THAT RETORT WAS JUST PUT UP ON A T-BALL STAND AND I HAD TO HIT IT!)

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
not if you've seen his wife.

(NOTE: TOTAL JOKE THERE... I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT BC'S WIFE IS LIKE AND I'M SURE SHE'S ABSOLUTELY LOVELY, BUT THAT RETORT WAS JUST PUT UP ON A T-BALL STAND AND I HAD TO HIT IT!)
I don't get it. Your joke was about Jerry's wife. Who is the BC'S WIFE you're referring to? Bryan's? If you meant BC867's, I am divorced. And yes, she was absolutely lovely.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have Jackson--a top three player in a good draft. We do not know where that Nets pick will end up or how those players will look after a week of college ball.

I think we are in agreement. It's better to trade up knowing who is available at a particular pick.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I don't want to be "that guy," but shouldn't we start a new thread for "2017-18 Around The NBA"?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Our luck, we'd trade Jackson for the Nets pick and the light goes on for D'Angelo Russell and he leads the Nets to the playoffs. I doubt that happens but the odds of it happening improve if we make that trade for their pick.

We got the guy the majority of people here wanted in this last draft, who was also the player our front office wanted the most as well in Jackson. So why trade him because there could be some really good players at the top of the next draft?

We didn't just suck and end up with the 2nd worst record in the league to get the #2 pick in the lottery. We sucked but we had to tank to ensure we got a high pick then we got screwed some in the lottery, falling to #4, but still managed to get who we would have taken at #4. Jackson was the top win in this draft and we got lucky the order landed the way it did so we could pick him. Everyone knew that Fultz was going #1, Ball was going to LA at #2, but most thought Jackson would go #3. McD got him to cancel his workout with Boston which helped make up their mind and they decided to take Tatum, who is a good prospect but he'd be a bit redundant with Booker and Warren since he's been viewed as just a scorer, and not an elite scorer either. Jackson is a 3&D wing player with good ball handling and playmaking skills, he's not just an adequate defender either he's viewed as potentially a great defender and he has a lot of length and speed. He should pair up with Booker better than anyone from this draft and he fits our team as constructed very well.

Why tempt the basketball gods when it took some good favor and luck for us to end up with him in the first place to gamble on getting a top prospect next year. There is a reason Cleveland views Jackson so highly, they're in win-now mode and trying to keep Lebron there but they're trying to add a rookie? It's because Jackson should be a good enough player to contribute right away and he has a very high ceiling also. The Suns are never lucky but we got lucky with him falling to us at #4, I don't want to see what'll happen if we trade him so we can try to have 2 top picks next summer.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson