Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't follow Philadelphia, when is Embiid scheduled to go out for his next injury? Before or after Bledsoe?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After Simmons and Bledsoe and just before Noel. The good news is that Chris Bosh is available.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The agent wants him to sit out the full year to let the foot heal after the surgery.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched about the first 8 minutes of the Warriors and Clips preseason last night. I know the first game went differently and it won't be like this every night and just an exhibition but my goodness.

When Draymond Green is your 4th best scorer in a starting lineup it's scary how well you can space the court. There's a sequence in the first quarter where Durant hits a 3 off a drive and dish from Green. Then they swing the ball around and Steph shot fakes, Paul flies by and he buries the 3. Then they swing it around off the break and Klay nails a 3. Then finally again off a swing Durant drives, kicks to Green and he nails a 3.

Again, I fully get that's not going to always be the case but this isn't even the "death" lineup because Pachulia is in not Iggy. When they share the ball like that and are making open shots it's scary.

the number of wide open 3's they got in the first quarter last night was remarkable but with those 4 guys out there they can spread the court so much it's not fair. Will be interesting to see against a really good defensive team but man they're going to be fun to watch.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Z-Bo coming off the bench as the sixth man for the Grizzles.
I love Zach Randolph.

Many years ago, so long ago that the WWW didn't exist then it was done on Usenet, a friend ran an annual NBA mock draft contest. People would be GM's and make picks and explain why and it all got posted pick by pick. That year I was the Warriors Gm and I picked Zach Randolph and got absolutely SLAMMED for doing it. Not just the friend who ran the draft but tons of Warriors fans etc were emailing me telling me how stupid I was and I should have picked Desagna Diop(sp).

To this day it makes me happy to see what a long career Randolph had, virtually everyone I was "supposed" to pick that year sucks in comparison.

http://www.ibiblio.org/craig/draft/2001_draft/compare.shtml

note I picked him 5th over Jason Richardson who the Warriors really picked that year and who has had a nice career but almost always on bad teams where Z Bo has been part of a good team for quite awhile since he matured off the court.

In hindsight Pau Gasol would have been a better pick probably the NBA got that right but this was way back when foreign guys were complete unknowns to most people. Joe Johnson was a better pick too but I felt the Warriors needed bigs. If you read my whole explanation http://www.ibiblio.org/craig/draft/2001_draft/Picks/5_golden_state.shtml

I actually correctly said they might pick Richardson, I thought Joe Johnson had a chance to be a better player because he was a better shooter but I expected the Warriors would and probably should go big. They took Richardson who was exciting but always a volume shooter kind of guy.

Hard to say who had a better career but I would go for Z Bo because he was a key guy on good teams, Richardson really never was.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love Zach Randolph.

Many years ago, so long ago that the WWW didn't exist then it was done on Usenet, a friend ran an annual NBA mock draft contest. People would be GM's and make picks and explain why and it all got posted pick by pick. That year I was the Warriors Gm and I picked Zach Randolph and got absolutely SLAMMED for doing it.

I don't get it? I assume this is humor but it's going over my head. Usenet was a dinosaur by the time Randolph was drafted.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't get it? I assume this is humor but it's going over my head. Usenet was a dinosaur by the time Randolph was drafted.

But the draft was still called the Usenet draft because that's where it started.

You are right though by the time Zach was drafted www was alive and kicking.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Errntknght

Reaction score
Pistons signed Boban Marjanovic away from Spurs for 7 mil per. Story is he went to Pop to ask him about taking the offer and Pop told him. "Yes 21 mil is more than 3 mil, so get your a$$ out of here." I wish the Suns had made that deal... I'd rate Marj as the best young C in the league even though he's just had one season. He's a physical monster at 290 lbs and he has a nice touch around the basket. He barely notices it when he bumps someone out his way.

Edit: He is 28 years old, no doubt he's made his mark in Europe for some time... I didn't notice he looked older.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pistons signed Boban Marjanovic away from Spurs for 7 mil per. Story is he went to Pop to ask him about taking the offer and Pop told him. "Yes 21 mil is more than 3 mil, so get your a$$ out of here." I wish the Suns had made that deal... I'd rate Marj as the best young C in the league even though he's just had one season. He's a physical monster at 290 lbs and he has a nice touch around the basket. He barely notices it when he bumps someone out his way.

Edit: He is 28 years old, no doubt he's made his mark in Europe for some time... I didn't notice he looked older.

I don't think he's capable of giving you more than backup minutes but yeah, he'd have been an incredible addition in that role. I like Williams quite a bit but it would have been nice to have both of them. And that's a great story about Pop.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Joel Embiid is looking very good. He is a monster rebounder and shot blocker. He also seems to be a good defender. He has a Shaq like presence on the court but he can make free throws.

But can he stay healthy?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Joel Embiid is looking very good. He is a monster rebounder and shot blocker. He also seems to be a good defender. He has a Shaq like presence on the court but he can make free throws.

But can he stay healthy?

Hrrrmmmmm... I think you might be a bit overzealous on this one. Shaq had a "presence" unlike any player ever. I hated those Lakers but I admit that Shaq was the most dominant offensive big since Wilt. Teams that hoped to contend carried extra bigs purely so they had bodies to throw at O'Neal. Just based on their body types I cannot imagine Embiid being a similar type of player, even if he ends up being amazing.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Hrrrmmmmm... I think you might be a bit overzealous on this one. Shaq had a "presence" unlike any player ever. I hated those Lakers but I admit that Shaq was the most dominant offensive big since Wilt. Teams that hoped to contend carried extra bigs purely so they had bodies to throw at O'Neal. Just based on their body types I cannot imagine Embiid being a similar type of player, even if he ends up being amazing.
He would not have been as dominant if he played his entire career under the current rules.

from phone

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He would not have been as dominant if he played his entire career under the current rules.

Yes, and maybe no. The Shaq that relied mostly on brute strength and bullied the league for years would not have been as successful but the one that entered the NBA could well have become the greatest player of all time even under modern rules.

He was an incredible physical specimen and under the right rules and the right coaching, I think he could have developed the skills he would have needed in today's game. And even the Shaq that Phil Jackson molded would still have been a very good player, just not quite as dominant as he had been.