Arians: Palmer "didn't lose the damn game."

Ed Burmila

Registered
Reaction score
*EXTENDED SIGH*

Really? I know everyone in the organization has to try to pump Palmer's confidence up because he's still our QB, but I hope Arians doesn't believe this stuff.

I suppose it's the defense's fault? Because they should have stopped the league's #1 offense repeatedly when our offense was giving the ball back to them every 90 seconds? Starting the game with three punts? Turning the ball over SEVEN TIMES?

Yeah the defense gave up a lot of points. It's pretty hard not to when the offense gives them the ball in good field position over and over and over and over.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It's hard to throw the ball accurately down the field when your playing with both arms wrapped firmly around your own throat.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Palmer was the single worst culprit, but that was as big a team meltdown as you could possibly have. STs not only gave up a big punt return (again) but they also fumbled the ball. Complete fail there. The D gave up 17 points on its first three series (before the turnovers). Fail there. And Palmer was atrocious. Literally, EVERYONE except David Johnson crapped the bed last night from the opening kick.

OP
OP
E

Ed Burmila

Registered
Reaction score
Our special teams were a nightmare all season. Last night was the icing on the...turd?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Palmer was the single worst culprit, but that was as big a team meltdown as you could possibly have. STs not only gave up a big punt return (again) but they also fumbled the ball. Complete fail there. The D gave up 17 points on its first three series (before the turnovers). Fail there. And Palmer was atrocious. Literally, EVERYONE except David Johnson crapped the bed last night from the opening kick.

Lol yeah that was a team effort all around

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Giving Peterson a pass on his fumbled punt. At least he was trying to make a play and spark the team. If it would have worked Cards would have the ball in good field position.

Paso Fino

Veteran
Reaction score
I didn't see Tom Moore sitting next to Palmer. Was he there? But I admit I bailed out from watching in the 4th qtr when I couldn't take the disaster any longer.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score

Yup this was an entire team loss. But Palmer was very bad.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
They acted like a team that was rudderless because they knew we were screwed.

Palmer tried putting in a game plan that was more conservative that ultimately worked against Green Bay and probably given his finger would of done so again even if it would of only made the score closer.

However he was told very publicly by his coach not to do that again. I think because BA had a choice play it safe or pray Carson had the game of his life and his finger heals otherwise no way are we beating the Panthers in their house.

So it's mostly on Palmer for not telling BA, he ******* my finger is screwed, you can start Stanton if you think that's a better call but I'm not going to be going deep on anyone because I have no accuracy there.

That's what needed to be said and that's where balls come in.

BA if he made him throw deep after that or didn't adjust what they were doing or start Stanton, well it's on him.

See this is where the whole tell it like it is thing pisses me off to no end.

Oh you mean tell it like it is unless how it really is, isn't convenient then we'll lie.

BA is just covering for Palmer because he probably told him do the best you can and push it. He of course didn't mean throw it to people who are completely not open but he meant throw it to the guy who is open, which he couldn't past a certain distance, which our coach KNEW he couldn't do.

So it was a cluster where everyone just really is full of it and we lost the game when Palmer hurt his finger and no one can say that so there you are.

The only way this would have worked is for complete honesty to be had all around. Hey what can you REALLY do?

Game plan from there or start Stanton if you think it's that bad but whatever you do be realistic. I think we still could of won that game but the players have to believe they can and in that BA failed he did not have them believing they could win, had no plan that would work.

There is always a way but to ignore reality and go on like it's not so never works.

Last edited:

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This. Peterson was trash. When's the last time Fitz has had two drops in a game?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Giving Peterson a pass on his fumbled punt. At least he was trying to make a play and spark the team. If it would have worked Cards would have the ball in good field position.

You get no "pass" for a turnover. That's ridiculous.

OP
OP
E

Ed Burmila

Registered
Reaction score
Peterson fumbling the punt was the turning point. All he has to do is let it bounce or catch it and fall down, and we have the ball at midfield trailing 17-7. Crucial turnover. Absolute killer.

That said, the way he played, Palmer probably would have thrown an INT like he did after PP gave us the ball in scoring position a few minutes later.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Peterson fumbling the punt was the turning point. All he has to do is let it bounce or catch it and fall down, and we have the ball at midfield trailing 17-7. Crucial turnover. Absolute killer.

That said, the way he played, Palmer probably would have thrown an INT like he did after PP gave us the ball in scoring position a few minutes later.

He made up for it two plays later with a 70 yard INT return.

That basically was a wash.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
If BA wanted Palmer and he is a choke artist then that's on BA for going out and getting a choke artist.

BA really laid an egg this time and if he had true balls he'd of taken the heat for losing this game because the fact it wasn't close is all on him. He put in a game plan that inspired no confidence.

He picked the player to lead the team.

It's on BA.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

I think losing the punt had more of an effect than the INT return were he got hawked by Ginn before he could have scored.

Peterson did not have his best game, and while that can be said for most, in the NFL you are paid big money to make big plays.

He came up short in the game yesterday, which is too bad, because he had a hell of a season for us.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The fumble was at a crucial time. 17-7, getting the ball back, and thanks to the bad punt we were going to have good field position with hopes of getting back into the game. Had PP simply caught the ball first then tried to do something even if it was to gain another 10 yards would have been momentum changer. We score a TD there and it's a different game. Instead we give it right back.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think we can hold BA responsible for anything he says now, as you said he literally can't blame Palmer because Palmer is going to be the QB next year barring a miracle.

We might have lost anyways but so many of the defensive lapses in the 2nd half were because we were far behind and taking risks trying to create big plays.

same with Carson he wasn't being careful with the ball because he thought he needed to get it all back fast.

Just a nightmare game.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

no. We were only down 10 at that point, had momentum and would have had the ball around the 40 if Peterson didn't make that bonehead move.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

no he didn't. Carolina scored a TD five players after Peterson's fumble, which ultimately crushed any shred of momentum we had and put the game back in laugher territory at 24-7. Oh... and he got abused by Ginn on that same drive where they scored. His INT came on Carolina's next drive.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

Yep

Big D

...and STILL...
Reaction score
There were many Cards fans last year that blamed the playoff loss on the fact that we started Ryan Lindley. Considering Palmer played even worse than Lindley, I hope those same fans are not now trying to deflect blame from Palmer.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Listen, we were playing a great team ..... Yes, I said it, a great 15-1 team who may do same thing to Denver in SB. If they do or not, the Cards picked a bad time to have the worst game they could. I do think some of them lost heart as the mistakes kept mounting, and when they realized all was lost.

It is natural to be disappointed as hell, but still we are over reacting to one bad game. We had a great season, maybe our best ever. And we are only a few players away from being as good as the Panthers. So lets not talk about making anyone walk the plank. We need to use this humiliation to improve and get better next year.

As far as Palmer is concerned, look how long we suffered with inferior QBs. CP just set all kinds of records for our team. We should cherish the fact we have him for another couple years, not the opposite.

Let's get over this loss quickly, and move on to more positive outlook. This was a great year to be a Cards fan. Congrats to all our players for putting together such a great year. Sorry, they have to end it with these kind of tastes in their mouths. But maybe they will be that much more determined to never let it happen again in their careers.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn