I'm Still Waiting..........

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
...........for some exciting news from the Cardinals regarding FA. Okay, that's not entirely true as the Iupati signing did excite me, but not much else. Consider:
1. We now have a backup center to compete with another backup center (Larson). Maybe BA remembers Shipley from three years ago, and we can only hope he's the same player, today. But I have to say, I'm not excited.
2. We have a BIG HOLE at CB, which could cause us to draft for need in Round One. I hope not.
3. Still no pass rusher. Woodley is a dream/hope/fantasy, that even the most delusional fan can't expect much from. We'll probably target a LB in Rd 1 or 2, if we don't reach (anyone not named Waynes or Collins) for a CB. I did read that the pass rushers drafted in the first round in last year's draft, DID NOT put up impressive sack numbers.
4. Have hope for Peters, but is he better than a healthy DD? At least he's younger.
5. Still need a big RB. Should be able to get one in the Draft.
6. W/o knowing how much CAP space we have, it SEEMS that we have enough to make a splash, and I do have faith in BASK, but for now I'm depressed.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
IMO We are going DB (safety or CB) with the #1 unless by luck there is a premier pass rusher that isn't grabbed during the run on them. If we get AP I don't think we even consider Gordon. Pass rushers and line the rest of the draft. Even Super Bowl winners usually have a weakness.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The quality starters in our positions of need (i.e. OLB, CB, RB) have been signed with other teams. Whats left now in free agency are second tier players most would be backups.
Cards will need to fill these in the draft. Its a good draft for RBs and we should be able to get a good big RB in round 3 or later. I think we will need to go for an OLB or CB with our first round pick. I just don' think the Cards will get a good pass rusher at #24 as the best will be gone but sometimes you luck into a player like we did when we picked Calais Campbell in round 2.

Bottom line I think free agency for the Cards other than some depth additions is over.

OP
OP
G

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
By NOT signing a starting CB in FA, it seems that we might have to reach for a CB in Rd One. Not good. Especially if we end up with the third (ranked) or later, CB.

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
Why is getting a decent pass rusher the need every offseason, and why do we never get one?

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think our top 3 corners are serviceable, particularly given that we've theoretically upgraded the LBs.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
We can't be done yet. Right now our defense is worse off than last year. We have to get one of these three players. AP, Justin Houston or Greg Hardy. That's the only way we will be able to compete with Seattle.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We can't be done yet. Right now our defense is worse off than last year. We have to get one of these three players. AP, Justin Houston or Greg Hardy. That's the only way we will be able to compete with Seattle.

Agree with this. Seattle still ahead of us and the Rams at worst have closed the gap considerably.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Agree with this. Seattle still ahead of us and the Rams at worst have closed the gap considerably.

The Rams are no better than they were. Bad o line. Limited offensive potential. QB who is ok if healthy, but nothing special.

OP
OP
G

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Rams definitely are better than they were. If we get D Wash back, our defense can be decent IF we get a CB to play opposite PP.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
The Rams are no better than they were. Bad o line. Limited offensive potential. QB who is ok if healthy, but nothing special.

Seattle is going to have some problems on the O-line as well. They're lucky to have the skill players they do though. It makes up for a whole bunch.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We all agreed that the interior O Line and the linebacker positions were the stinky weak links on this team last year, and those spots have been addressed in a large way this FA period, and it's only the first week. There are still big names out there who can be had for the big price tag.

But, the front office has done a great job so far in the last 4 days.

OP
OP
G

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Dan H, if, and it's a BIG IF, imo, Bethel is able to play CB at a high level, I'd feel much better about the team. I just don't know if he can be a starting NFL CB. The Draft will tell us how the team really feels. By that I mean if we don't draft a CB in the first two rounds. Have my fingers crossed.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Barring injury the Cardinals are good to go with the secondary personnel on the roster: Peterson and Powers on the outside and Mathieu at nickleback.

The Draftniks who project a corner to the Cardinals don't know the roster. They just see Cromartie gone and say they need a corner.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I wouldn't rule out Tyrann Mathieu as the CB opposite Patrick Peterson---which enables the Cardinals to keep Jerraud Powers in the nickel role he thrives in.