Ryan McDonough New GM

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
First move the organization has made in a loooooong time that I really love.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am calling it right now, he is goign to hire Fred Hoiberg.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Mike Budenholzer, Ron Adams, Mike Malone, in that order are on my wishlist. Mo Cheeks could be an interesting candidate as well.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Good pedigree. Not sure that the Celtics have a reason to brag in the Front Office though. They traded for a title and drafted a ton of duds IMO.

I will wait and see.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Good pedigree. Not sure that the Celtics have a reason to brag in the Front Office though. They traded for a title and drafted a ton of duds IMO.

I will wait and see.

Please refresh my memory on the "ton of duds".

The Celtics front office is still small, but it’s been very effective. Over the years they’ve hit on players in the draft, such as Al Jefferson, Kendrick Perkins, Delonte West, Tony Allen, Glen Davis and, of course, Rajon Rondo, Avery Bradley and Jared Sullinger. None of them were lottery picks, but they have all been productive.

There have been misses as well -- no one in this business is immune from mistakes -- but they’ve generally found value even in the lower parts of the first and second rounds, which are not exactly prime drafting positions.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
2012 1 22 Fab Melo Syracuse University
2012 2 51 Kris Joseph Syracuse University
2011 2 55 E'Twaun Moore Purdue University
2010 2 52 Luke Harangody University of Notre Dame
2009 2 58 Lester Hudson University of Tennessee at Martin
2008 1 30 J. R. Giddens University of New Mexico
2008 2 60 Semih Erden Fenerbahçe Ülker (Turkey)

HooverDam

Reaction score
2012 1 22 Fab Melo Syracuse University
2012 2 51 Kris Joseph Syracuse University
2011 2 55 E'Twaun Moore Purdue University
2010 2 52 Luke Harangody University of Notre Dame
2009 2 58 Lester Hudson University of Tennessee at Martin
2008 1 30 J. R. Giddens University of New Mexico
2008 2 60 Semih Erden Fenerbahçe Ülker (Turkey)

What is this list supposed to be? Proving the Celtics haven't hit 100% on late 1sts or 2nd round picks. Who has?

As usual, you're being ridiculous.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Avery Bradley was their big win. Sullinger was a huge risk. So was JR Giddens.

Melo is pretty bad but still raw.

I just haven't been a huge fan of the Big Baby's, Sullingers, or Melo's.

In fact, since the Green/Allen & Rondo trades, they have been pretty mediocre. Relying on the cache of the big 3 while allowing KG & Doc to recruit players onto the team.

Not sure the front office has done anything remarkable in a long while.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
All this complaining and/or praising of past drafts means nothing at this point.

I only care about this qualification:

He's not Lance Blanks.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
And Avery Bradley is all hype. He had 20 good games at the end of his rookie season when nobody knew him.

Since then he has been terrible and exposed. In the playoffs he hasnt come close to shooting 30% and in the regular season he is almost as bad.

Lets see what he does this draft. The other options were much worse though or as Babby explainded extremely impressive.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Avery Bradley was their big win. Sullinger was a huge risk. So was JR Giddens.

Melo is pretty bad but still raw.

I just haven't been a huge fan of the Big Baby's, Sullingers, or Melo's.

In fact, since the Green/Allen & Rondo trades, they have been pretty mediocre. Relying on the cache of the big 3 while allowing KG & Doc to recruit players onto the team.

Not sure the front office has done anything remarkable in a long while.

In fairness to the Celtics they have generally drafted later in the draft.

http://www.celticstats.com/misc/firstround.php

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So have the Spurs and Thunder. (And us for that matter)

It's true, it is more than just the draft, it's how players are traded and free agents signed. No matter how one gets a key player it takes someone to recognize the talent and help make the moves to get these players. It's a combination of all three aspects of acquiring players. Seattle/ OKC drafting players like Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook early in the draft makes things a lot easier.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
And Avery Bradley is all hype. He had 20 good games at the end of his rookie season when nobody knew him.

Since then he has been terrible and exposed. In the playoffs he hasnt come close to shooting 30% and in the regular season he is almost as bad.

Lets see what he does this draft. The other options were much worse though or as Babby explainded extremely impressive.
Bradley may be the best perimeter defender in the NBA right now.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Um, did you pull that name out of a hat? What makes you say that? Did you also know that the buyout on his contract with Iowa State is $2 million?

I just read something back in December that the NBA would be calling and just have a gut feeling about it.

As for the buyout, I wonder if that is just for another college job, not the NBA.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That is ridiculous.

And for being such a great defender his defensive rating is not even that good.
After games, McDonough and Austin Ainge would sit down with Bradley and watch video of all his plays.

McDonough monitored his ankle treatment and his workouts.

"He’s a pretty bright kid," McDonough says. "Very observant. He’s very receptive, a quick learner. It’s rewarding when you work with somebody and see him come so quickly so fast, to now where in my estimation he’s the best perimeter defender in the league, a year after he was down in the D-League."

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2013/3/27/4149404/botson-celtics-gm-ryan-mcdonough-profile

http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story...radley-becoming-one-most-feared-defenders-nba

If not the best, Bradley is easily a top 5 perimeter defender in the NBA right now.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I am not sure what his defensive stats look like, but I know that I cannot think of another player who can stay in front of him man while pressuring him better than Bradley. It's an amazing combination of quickness/ athleticism and a solid fundamental understanding of defense/ moving your feet.

Maybe I am wrong, maybe there is something I am missing, but in my opinion, Bradley is one of the best perimeter defenders in the league.

Now, in all fairness, he is slightly undersized, he is not a very good shooter, and he doesn't really create his own shot in half-court, so there are some major issues with his game, but his defense is simply not one of those issues.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The fact is that this kid was part of the management team that put together a championship Boston Celtics team. He was there before Ainge acquired KG. They were able to draft decent pieces and then put them together in trades to get the mix they wanted.

Collect assets. Develop assets. Adjust the mix.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The fact is that this kid was part of the management team that put together a championship Boston Celtics team. He was there before Ainge acquired KG. They were able to draft decent pieces and then put them together in trades to get the mix they wanted.

Collect assets. Develop assets. Adjust the mix.

He was there when they drafted Jeff Green and then traded him for Ray Allen. :championship:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dappy1