Cardinals Trade Anthony Sherman to Chiefs for cornerback Javier Arenas

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Reaction score
What I heard from a source very close to Anthony was that Anthony's agent asked the Cardinals if he could pursue a trade---seeing as BA does not employ a FB in his system---the Cardinals agreed and allowed the agent to garner trade interest, which the agent did, and that now there is a deal in place with the Chiefs. The reason why it hasn't been announced yet may be due to AS (and if another player is involved) passing their physicals. My source only knew about Sherman being a part of the trade---no other details.

https://twitter.com/cardschatter/statuses/329632028813299713

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
id rather have a draft pick, I feel we are stacked in the DB area except for safety. badger is a hybrid, cason, PP, fleming etc etc etc but i guess the more the merrier.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Javier Arenas seems superflous with Tyrann Matthieu already on the roster. Another undersized nickle cornerback who can return punts? Isn't that the Honey Badger's role? And Arenas has average to below average ball skills.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Javier Arenas seems superflous with Tyrann Matthieu already on the roster. Another undersized nickle cornerback who can return punts? Isn't that the Honey Badger's role? And Arenas has average to below average ball skills.

So two nickle backs, one with experience, one not is a bad idea?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Yea, I would've rather us acquire a third-day draft pick in 2014, although I am thrilled we were able to get compensation for a fullback as opposed to cutting him outright. Normally, they have no value in the trading market, but it goes to show how capable Sherman is in ST and as a blocker.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So two nickle backs, one with experience, one not is a bad idea?

Now only that, but with all the one year contracts in the secondary, we have the flexibility to put the best unit out there and cut someone with little ramification.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
After seeing the outrage on the Chiefs board, I guess I'm OK with Arenas. They think Uncle Andy got bamboozled. Not that they love Arenas, after all he's nothing more than a nickle cornerback taken in the second round. This doesn't make up for Kolb for a second and DRC, but at least Steve Keim doesn't get shafted like Graves and Whisenhunt.

one Chiefs post:
FB for decent Nickel? Par for the course.

In a passing league we trade a corner for a fullback. Great.

I like arenas, but now we have flowers, Sean smith, Dunta, Daniels, Commings, and menzie. Some may compete at safety. Arenas is fairly expendable. Don't know who returns kicks but am confident toub weighed in on this.

Arenas maybe expendable but you dont give him away for a ****ING FB. Especially when you already bringing 4 FBs into camp and just wasted a 6th round pick on one in the draft lol

Arenas was overdrafted ... he should have been a 5th round pick instead of a 2nd.

but now that he is on the team he brings value to the roster.

Hard-nosed football guy
low maintenance
no drama
relatively cheap
solid coverage guy as long as you don't put him on a burner
solid return guy who can get the consistent yards even though he won't break long ones much
imo he can probably play ANY position in the secondary in a pinch
can step in to block the gunner or whatever else you need

solid rank and file type guy ... don't know why we would flush him away instead of jalil brown etc

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like Sherman. He is a throwback player that can excell on the right team. That obviously wasn't the Cardinals with BA running the offense.

The fact that Keim could get a decent player for a player that didn't have a home on this team, is a testimate to how much better Keim is compared to Graves.

Nash2Amare

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
A writer from PFF:

@PFF_Pete
Sean Smith and Dunta Robinson made Javier Arenas expendable, but the Chiefs couldn't get more than a backup FB for an above-average slot CB?

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
4 trades in one offseason.:shock: Without a doubt the influence of Licht.

I also like that the proof is in the pudding and the pudding says we are going to covet DB's and always make it a priority.

dylanbw

Registered
Reaction score
I really like Sherman. He is a throwback player that can excell on the right team. That obviously wasn't the Cardinals with BA running the offense.

The fact that Keim could get a decent player for a player that didn't have a home on this team, is a testimate to how much better Keim is compared to Graves.

DITTO on both of these comments.

Really enjoyed Sherman the FB and as a person, but if BA says no FB so be it.

Keim/Licht are really killing it so far. The sense of urgency is a complete 180 from the Whis/Graves era.

redheat

A real American hero
Reaction score
Didn't chiefs use him on offense too for screens and wildcat?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
4 trades in one offseason.:shock: Without a doubt the influence of Licht.

I also like that the proof is in the pudding and the pudding says we are going to covet DB's and always make it a priority.

No joke. We're going to have a pretty light special teams corps. These guys better learn how to tackle.

It's also going to put pressure on the LB corps. There are only so many roster spots to go round. Usually teams load up on LBs for special teams.

Justin Bethel and Jameel Flemming now both find themselves on the bubble.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Well so far this is the most transparent front office I have ever experienced.

Arians said he was not a big fullback guy and here they are trading the only FB on the roster.

I smell a Dallas Clark signing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maksince98