Movie-A-Day #1: The Shawshank Redemption

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Figured I'd start with a movie everybody loves. I'll be flabbergasted if anyone posts saying they didn't like the movie--this one seems to be one of the most loved movies of all time.

As far as I can tell, this is close to a perfect movie. With the exception of an overly long running time and some inconsistent camera work, this movie is a work of art.

Unfortunately, the Academy liked the feel-good aspect of Forrest Gump that year, and gems like this movie and Quiz Show were woefully overlooked.

Synopsis (SPOILER possible):
In the first half of the 20th century, tax accountant Andy Dufresne (Tim Robbins) is sentenced to 2 consecutive life sentences, while maintaining his innocence throughout. While in Shawshank prison in rural Maine, he befriends Red (Morgan Freeman), an "institutional" convicted murderer, and his small group of friends. The film proceeds to chronicle the next 20 years of prison life, which is neither pretty nor joyful, although Dufresne does some great things to keep his sanity.

There are several standouts which make this film so good:

1) The acting. Robbins and Freeman are at the top of their game. But a lot of the supporting performances are terrific as well, including Clancy Brown as the foul-mouthed, brutal head prison guard, and Bob Gunton as the warden. Gunton, especially, does some good work, skirting the line between housing criminals and being a criminal himself. Veteran actor James Whitmore provides a gut-wrenching performance as an 80-something-year-old man who suddenly finds himself out in the world after 50 years. Taken as a whole, this is an acting troop rivaling any in Hollywood.

2) The music. Thomas Newman does a superb job of conveying the oppressive atmosphere of the prison and uses strings and bass to convey the different moods--mostly somber, but occasionally uplifting, like when the group of inmates tar the roof of the plate shop, and are given some beer to enjoy after Dufresne bribes Clancy Brown's Officer Hadley.

3) The direction. Frank Darabont directed this film, his first in the chair. And he does a masterful job. He understands the material, since he is also the writer, but he has a certain repoir with the actors, that is noticeable throughout.

4) The source. The story actually came from a short novella by Stephen King, and in it, Red was actually an Irish white man--which makes Freeman's introduction to Robbins all that much more funny.

Of course, there is a lot more I could go into, but I'll let the rest of you go on about it! :thumbup:

Chap, as we obviously disagree on the Suns forum, I have to agree with you here. This movie is fantastic, and is #1 on my list of the best movies of all time.

For Christmas, my GF gave me an authentic movie poster, framed, signed by all of the major actors in the movie. I should have proposed right there! :biglaugh:

Last edited:

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I had never seen this movie until a co-worker told me to rent it, and guaranteed I'd like it or else he'd pay me 2x for the rental. Now it's a top 10 for me!

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I realize I am over 12 years late in watching this movie.

That said, I REALLY enjoyed this movie. Morgan Freeman was AMAZING and so was Tim Robbins. I found myself so engrossed in the movie. I almost cried during the Brooks scene.

All in all a very solid movie and I can totally see why everyone else liked this movie.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stout said:
When you do Majestic, put spoilers on any possible spoilers...I haven't seen it (no desire-Jim Carey is not a serious actor IMO), but I'd like to hear objective opinions on the movie.

Jim Carey is a serious actor. Eternal Sunshine he should have gotten an Oscar nom.

He's also a dorkball in most of his movies, so I can understand how you can feel that way.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Definitely one of my favorite movies of all time. I’ve probably seen it ten times.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just watched the last 30 minutes of this movie, from when he escapes to the end...

I just love it...the writing, the way the plot moved along, hints dropped throughout the movie about his escape...but it's never obvious.

The narration by Morgan Freeman is some of the best I've heard in a movie.

All of it, top to bottom...such a great, great movie.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
phillycard said:
I had never seen this movie until a co-worker told me to rent it, and guaranteed I'd like it or else he'd pay me 2x for the rental. Now it's a top 10 for me!
So you told him, "It sucked" and pocketed the cash.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
I just watched the last 30 minutes of this movie, from when he escapes to the end...

I just love it...the writing, the way the plot moved along, hints dropped throughout the movie about his escape...but it's never obvious.

The narration by Morgan Freeman is some of the best I've heard in a movie.

All of it, top to bottom...such a great, great movie.

I watched it today as well. It was on Showtime. Your right just a great great movie.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shane H said:
I watched it today as well. It was on Showtime. Your right just a great great movie.

Yup, saw it on Showtime :)

In HD to boot...was awesome.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw this movie again on Showtime last night.

Such a good movie...

NavyVet

Registered
Reaction score
"Those of us who knew him best talk about him often . . . sometimes it makes me sad though; Andy being gone. I have to remind myself that some birds aren't meant to be caged - Their feathers are just too bright. And when they fly away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up does rejoice. But still, the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone. I guess I just miss my friend."

A movie classic

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose