The Oscars 2010 Nominations

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, except when the films actually ARE Oscar-worthy... and Black Swan, Social Network, Inception and the King's Speech definitely are.

i gotta say, i still don't get what's so incredible about The King's Speech. solid acting, great performance by Rush, but for it to be getting the superlative notices it's gotten just says to me that people fall over themselves for what they think SHOULD be important. the movie just wreaked of "look at me! i'm an oscar film!"

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
i gotta say, i still don't get what's so incredible about The King's Speech. solid acting, great performance by Rush, but for it to be getting the superlative notices it's gotten just says to me that people fall over themselves for what they think SHOULD be important. the movie just wreaked of "look at me! i'm an oscar film!"

Amadeus part duex?

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
No big surprises here. But one of my favorite movies of 2010 was The Ghost Writer, and it didn't get a single nomination, also not surprisingly because it wasn't getting any press. It probably didn't help its cause that it was released very early last year and wasn't a Hollywood production (though it certainly could have passed as one.)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
No big surprises here. But one of my favorite movies of 2010 was The Ghost Writer, and it didn't get a single nomination, also not surprisingly because it wasn't getting any press. It probably didn't help its cause that it was released very early last year and wasn't a Hollywood production (though it certainly could have passed as one.)

And it was directed by Roman Polanski. Perhaps the Oscars didn't want the controversy that goes along with him.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think instead of the film pandering to the Oscars, I just think the Oscars tend to like that sort of film. I'm surprised that you are implying that they made the movie simply to get Oscars. I'm not sure any film has done that--except maybe The English Patient. ;)

I think you and Ken have adopted what the Oscars wants you to--they want you to think that the Oscars are a barometer of good film, and they have succeeded. And yet, most of the awards are jokes--it's the lesser-known awards that are actually more meaningful.

And Colin Firth was spectacular in The King's Speech. Whether pandering to the Oscars or not, he deserves serious consideration to win.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think instead of the film pandering to the Oscars, I just think the Oscars tend to like that sort of film. I'm surprised that you are implying that they made the movie simply to get Oscars. I'm not sure any film has done that--except maybe The English Patient. ;)

I think you and Ken have adopted what the Oscars wants you to--they want you to think that the Oscars are a barometer of good film, and they have succeeded. And yet, most of the awards are jokes--it's the lesser-known awards that are actually more meaningful.

And Colin Firth was spectacular in The King's Speech. Whether pandering to the Oscars or not, he deserves serious consideration to win.

eh, i though Rush thoroughly outshined (pun completely intended) Firth.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score

Touché mon ami.

That is my failing. I've always viewed the Oscars as the crème de la crème of awards, and that it was indicative of the quality of the film.

Then I started seeing that there were chinks in the Oscar's proverbial armor; 5 Oscars for Silence of Lambs (it only deserved 2 IMHO) and Pulp Fiction getting snubbed for both Best Picture and Best Director awards.

Now, I see the Oscars for what it is...schlock.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Touché mon ami.

That is my failing. I've always viewed the Oscars as the crème de la crème of awards, and that it was indicative of the quality of the film.

Then I started seeing that there were chinks in the Oscar's proverbial armor; 5 Oscars for Silence of Lambs (it only deserved 2 IMHO) and Pulp Fiction getting snubbed for both Best Picture and Best Director awards.

Now, I see the Oscars for what it is...schlock.

I agree with you about the Oscars, but not about Pulp Fiction. OVERRATED.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shawshank Redemption was nominated for 7 Oscars but didn't win one of them. Big movie that year? Forrest Gump, which was Yuppie sentimental masturbation at its best. SR has stood the test of time as a classic though.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Shawshank Redemption was nominated for 7 Oscars but didn't win one of them. Big movie that year? Forrest Gump, which was Yuppie sentimental masturbation at its best. SR has stood the test of time as a classic though.

IMO, Quiz Show was better than Forrest Gump as well. (Although for the record, I do like Forrest Gump)

But you can say this for almost every year--there are very few years where the films are deserving. 2009 - Slumdog Millionaire, 2005 - Million Dollar Baby, 2004 - Return of the King, 2000 - American Beauty, 1994 - Schindler's List, 1993 - Unforgiven, 1991 - Dances With Wolves. And that's in the past 20 years! 7 in 20. Not good odds.

But look what else got beat -- Shakespeare in Love beat Saving Private Ryan, Titanic beat L.A. Confidential, The Hurt Locker beat several better films last year... the list goes on and on.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, Quiz Show was better than Forrest Gump as well. (Although for the record, I do like Forrest Gump)

But you can say this for almost every year--there are very few years where the films are deserving. 2009 - Slumdog Millionaire, 2005 - Million Dollar Baby, 2004 - Return of the King, 2000 - American Beauty, 1994 - Schindler's List, 1993 - Unforgiven, 1991 - Dances With Wolves. And that's in the past 20 years! 7 in 20. Not good odds.

But look what else got beat -- Shakespeare in Love beat Saving Private Ryan, Titanic beat L.A. Confidential, The Hurt Locker beat several better films last year... the list goes on and on.

I agree with everything, except I thought the Hurt Locker was exceptional. I thought it was everything they've said Social Network is.

(And I do like Gump, just wasn't nearly as good as SR or Quiz Show. Totally agree.)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with everything, except I thought the Hurt Locker was exceptional. I thought it was everything they've said Social Network is.

(And I do like Gump, just wasn't nearly as good as SR or Quiz Show. Totally agree.)

gump... pulp fiction... quiz show... shawshank... holy crap what a year for great movies that was.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
gump... pulp fiction... quiz show... shawshank... holy crap what a year for great movies that was.

We may go back and view the 90s as a vintage decade for film. I know some people view it as the decade of the indie -- or the death of the true indie -- but I'm not sure. Hollywood was undergoing a special transformation, too. Just look at 1999 ... American Beauty, Being John Malkovich, The Matrix, The Sixth Sense, Magnolia, Three Kings, Boys Don't Cry, Fight Club, Election, The Insider, Cider House Rules, Buena Vista Social Club, American Movie. Not all of those are my favorites, but it was undeniably a banner year in film.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And yeah, Pulp Fiction is overrated...now...it wasn't back in '94!

And Reservoir Dogs is regularly underrated, IMO. That was a fantastic movie. It works as an art house film and an action flick.

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Are you saying Forrest Gump hasen't withstood the test of time?

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And Reservoir Dogs is regularly underrated, IMO. That was a fantastic movie. It works as an art house film and an action flick.

I like Reservoir Dogs but IMO it is overrated by many.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Maybe it's because I'm a military brat and the movie was completely unrealistic.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We may go back and view the 90s as a vintage decade for film. I know some people view it as the decade of the indie -- or the death of the true indie -- but I'm not sure. Hollywood was undergoing a special transformation, too. Just look at 1999 ... American Beauty, Being John Malkovich, The Matrix, The Sixth Sense, Magnolia, Three Kings, Boys Don't Cry, Fight Club, Election, The Insider, Cider House Rules, Buena Vista Social Club, American Movie. Not all of those are my favorites, but it was undeniably a banner year in film.

you forgot Deep Blue Sea... the greatest shark satire with the single greatest scene in movie history in it!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison