Eleven types of obnoxious basketball fans on the Internet

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
I think this should be a sticky for all NBA message boards. This is a must read. :D

Eleven types of obnoxious basketball fans on the Internet

I’ve been managing blogs and message boards for over a decade now and I’ve been interacting with NBA fans online for the past eight years, so I’ve learned that basketball fans on the Internet can typically be labeled with at least one of the following 11 categories. While I’m singling out the Internet with these labels, I’m well aware that they could also apply to people who call into sports talk radio shows. However, I don’t personally listen to those shows because if I wanted to hear random ******** blowing hot air, I’d attend a chili cook-off.

If you think you don’t fit into at least one of these categories, you’re either the only perfect basketball fan on the planet, or you’re lying to yourself. I will readily admit to being guilty of up to six of these offences, but I won’t tell you which ones until the end of this post.

1. The Homer – This is the most common type of obnoxious basketball fan and he’s fairly easy to spot. He consistently overrates his team and underrates every other team, every draft pick is a future All-Star, and every loss is usually the fault of the referees. This type of fan takes rooting for his team to a level where it becomes somewhat unhealthy and extremely annoying. Don’t bother trying to debate him on how good his team really is, he can’t be reasoned with.

2. The Pessimist – As miserable as this fan usually is, you wonder why he bothers to root for his team or how he’s managed to avoid taking his own life by this point. Every win is meaningless because it’s only a matter of time before the season goes into a death spiral. This type of fan may actually be attracted to bad teams because they help validate their natural state of mind. See: Warriors fans.

3. The Player-Hater — With the irrational way that this fan hates a particular player, you’d think that the player had committed some unforgivable transgression against the fan’s family. In fact, this fan simply hates the way a certain player plays, carries himself and presents himself to the media – so much so that the fan wants this player to fail as much as he wants anything else in life. Sometimes, the player can be on the fan’s favorite team and he’ll gladly take a loss if it means this player has failed in a particularly egregious fashion. The more successful a player is, the more a player- hater will reach to find ways to criticize the player. For example, ESPN’s Bill Simmons can’t stop pointing out that Kobe Bryant went 6-for-24 in Game Seven against his Celtics — conveniently overlooking the fact that Kobe also grabbed 15 rebounds to help the Lakers win the championship.

4. The Stan – This type of fan loves a particular player so much, he may actually prefer his player to put up big numbers even if it means his team loses. If his favorite player gets traded, he dumps that player’s former team like a bad habit and moves on to the new team — buying that player’s new jersey as soon as it goes on sale. The Stan is blind to his favorite player’s faults and will defend him against any haters through the end of his career and beyond. In my experience, the “Vince Carter Stan” is possibly the most irritating NBA fan of all.

5. The Tanker – Nothing brings this fan more pain than when his favorite team wins games. Every game his team wins decreases their chances of winning the next draft lottery and landing the next rookie stud. You’d think that you’d only find this type of fan on really bad teams, but you’d be sadly mistaken.

6. The Statistical Manipulator – The revolution of advanced statistical analysis in basketball means that we can break down players’ strengths and weaknesses more effectively and go beyond the clumsiness of per-game numbers. Many NBA teams use these advanced stats to bring scouting and gameplans to whole new level. The statistical manipulator fan will use any manner of statistic — no matter how obscure or dubious — to make a point about how good or how bad a particular player is. If the stat is obscure and complicated enough, you may not even understand what the hell it means, which only allows him to point out that you’re too dumb to appreciate how awful or how great this player really is. You may frequently find yourself wanting to find out where this fan lives so you can drag him away from his computer, dunk his head in a toilet and give him a swirly.

7. The Trade Machine Maniac – Ever played with ESPN’s NBA Trade Machine? It’s a fun little tool that allows you to try out various configurations of trades and see if they work under the NBA’s complicated salary cap rules. It’s so fun that it can become quite addictive to a certain type of fan who can’t stop posting ridiculous trade scenarios that somehow manage to bring a player like Chris Paul to the fan’s favorite team without giving up any of that team’s valuable assets. For example, I bet you a Knicks fan somewhere has proposed trading Eddy Curry and Wilson Chandler for Chris Paul because it works in the Trade Machine and the Hornets would be happy with Chandler’s “potential” and Curry’s $11 million expiring contract. If you run a message board, you should give these fans their own thread or section where they can make their insane proposals without bothering everyone else.

8. The Conspiracy Theorist — Ugh, these fans are the worst. They’re convinced that everything in the NBA is fixed and will repeatedly state that it has as much credibility as pro wrestling. According to this fan, all the refs are instructed by the league to give certain players and teams the advantage at all times, the draft lottery is rigged, and David Stern is a Machiavellian monster. Don’t bother trying to ask this fan why he bothers to follow the NBA if everything is fixed, you won’t get a response.

9. The Rabid Nationalist –
If you wonder why a certain fan is so irrationally supportive of a non-American player who isn’t really all that good, there’s a possibility that the fan is of the same ethnic background as the player. This is understandable and fine in theory, but these fans can be quite vicious and lash out at you if you attempt to point out that the greatest player to ever come from their country isn’t even a top-50 player in the NBA. Dead giveaways that you’re dealing with an rabid nationalist: broken English, creative swearing and wildly inappropriate comments about your family and your sexuality.

10. The Casual Racist – Whether we want to admit it or not, we’re all a little bit racist in one way or another. The particular breed of racist I’m referring to here isn’t a “real racist” in the sense that he actually hates or wishes harm on another race. He’s just convinced that the race in question is inherently inferior at basketball or he has a rooting interest in that race achieving greater NBA success. The casually racist NBA fan typically comes in two types: the fan who complains that his team has too many white or “Euro” players, and the fan who bemoans the lack of great white American NBA players. A lot of these fans are still heartbroken over the spectacular failure of Adam Morrison’s NBA career.

11. The LeBron/Kobe/Jordan Obsessive — Do I really need to explain this one? For some reason, there is a group of NBA fans who seem to exist only to compare LeBron with Kobe, LeBron with Jordan and/or Kobe with Jordan. It doesn’t matter whether the blog post or message board topic is supposed to have anything to do with these players, this fan will always find a way to steer the topic to his particular obsession. If you actually write a blog post comparing these players, you’ll surely attract these nutbars like the scent of freshly cooked bacon at a fat camp. Don’t blame the media for covering these players so extensively — because of these fans, it’s just good business. Note: out of all these fan types, this is the one that would benefit most from psychiatric treatment.

So there you have it. Those are the main types of obnoxious and delusional NBA fans I’ve dealt with online. There are surely more types that I’ve missed, and I encourage you to point these out to me in the comments. The best one will be added to this post with credit given to the commenter. As for me? At various points, I’ve been a homer, a pessimist, a Stan, a tanker, a statistical manipulator and a trade machine maniac. (Cue the Judd Nelson fist pump and “Don’t You Forget About Me”.) I’m a complex guy, and more than a little mentally unstable. You knew that “fan” is short for “fanatic”, right?

Bonus obnoxious fan type! The Revisionist History Major (suggested by commenter ThatPatty) – “The fan that loves to point out that his team could have had Player X in the 200# draft if they had only drafted smarter… or his team could have signed Player Y in the summer of 200#… and if only his team had been smarter, they would be contenders.” What cracks me up about this fan type is that they completely ignore the fact that if they had drafted the right player in one draft, they would have had a completely different (and lower) draft pick in the following draft.

http://blogs.thescore.com/tbj/2010/07/16/eleven-types-of-obnoxious-basketball-fans-on-the-internet/

OP
OP
Joe L

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
Mods, not sure what happened here. Can you delete one of the threads? Thanks in advance.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
I can't figure out which one I am. Maybe the player-hater? Because I think the following players are massive douchebags: Ginobili, Kobe, Vujacic, Horry, AI, Arenas (who I used to really like), Carter... I guess that's all.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't figure out which one I am. Maybe the player-hater? Because I think the following players are massive douchebags: Ginobili, Kobe, Vujacic, Horry, AI, Arenas (who I used to really like), Carter... I guess that's all.

Actually, you don't want to find yourself on that list as it's reserved for obnoxious fans only. We're reasonably well reprensented on this list although we fall a little short in the 7,9, 10 and 11 categories in case someone wants to switch and help fill a void. My category, the "I told you so or I predicted that" group doesn't even warrant a mention.

Steve

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
2 = elindholm?

I figured someone would say that. I'm in a category not on the list, which is someone who gets annoyed by people who can't think. I'm not especially pessimistic, but for some reason, people remember my pessimistic posts more.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
8. The Conspiracy Theorist — Ugh, these fans are the worst. They’re convinced that everything in the NBA is fixed and will repeatedly state that it has as much credibility as pro wrestling. According to this fan, all the refs are instructed by the league to give certain players and teams the advantage at all times, the draft lottery is rigged, and David Stern is a Machiavellian monster. Don’t bother trying to ask this fan why he bothers to follow the NBA if everything is fixed, you won’t get a response.

After watching the NBA for over 40 years of my life, funny how many Lakers/Celtics Finals we have, plus how many Lakers and Celtics titles between two teams. Not saying there's a conspiracy, but......

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I figured someone would say that. I'm in a category not on the list, which is someone who gets annoyed by people who can't think. I'm not especially pessimistic, but for some reason, people remember my pessimistic posts more.

I agree you are not overly pessimistic. I think you are mostly balanced. You just have a sharp toungue and little tolerance for percieved ignorance.

Love this article and its funny because its true

I would say Cheese and Ouchie are definitely pessimists, Divete di Impera, slinslin, and mojo are most definitely player haters (Nash), Chaplin is an absolute homer, and there are literally TONS of statistical manipulators and conspiracy theorists.

I'm probably a little bit of Homer and Tanker. I always seem to lean to the optimistic side any always "dream" of getting our own Lebron or Wade so am somewhat twistedly happy when we lose and get better picks.

I think they should also add a category called "The guy with the in" as in the poster who has the "contacts" in the FO and knows more then the rest. I don't think thats a bad thing either - if they are legit, those are my fav posters.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I definitely qualified as a Homer until a few years ago. I could live with selling off the draft picks (I hated it but was able to rationalize it away) but the Kurt Thomas trade just took me over the edge. Now, I think I fall in the "realist" group along with elindholm, Ouchie, Cheese, Mojo and several others. It's funny though, when I was a homer I still would have put me in the "realist" group. So maybe they need a deluded realist category.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I fluctuate between 1, 2, 3, 6 and 8.

That's too bad. I feel a need to mock 8's whenever possible. I have no control over those feelings. My best guess: the government implanted a chip in my head which forces my response.

Steve

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
That's too bad. I feel a need to mock 8's whenever possible. I have no control over those feelings. My best guess: the government implanted a chip in my head which forces my response.

Steve

I don't do #8 that often but the Patrick Ewing envelope...

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't do #8 that often but the Patrick Ewing envelope...

Yeah, the timing was fishy. OTOH, I've never been much of a Patrick Ewing fan even back to his GTown days and I just think that if they were going to cheat for New York they'd have picked a year with better talent. Or at least a more fan friendly athlete.

Steve

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I agree you are not overly pessimistic. I think you are mostly balanced. You just have a sharp toungue and little tolerance for percieved ignorance.

I would say Cheese and Ouchie are definitely pessimists, Divete di Impera, slinslin, and mojo are most definitely player haters (Nash), Chaplin is an absolute homer, and there are literally TONS of statistical manipulators and conspiracy theorists.

I'm probably a little bit of Homer and Tanker. I always seem to lean to the optimistic side any always "dream" of getting our own Lebron or Wade so am somewhat twistedly happy when we lose and get better picks.

I think they should also add a category called "The guy with the in" as in the poster who has the "contacts" in the FO and knows more then the rest. I don't think thats a bad thing either - if they are legit, those are my fav posters.

Hmmm, let's see smart guy:

1. The Homer – This is the most common type of obnoxious basketball fan and he’s fairly easy to spot. He consistently overrates his team and underrates every other team, every draft pick is a future All-Star, and every loss is usually the fault of the referees. This type of fan takes rooting for his team to a level where it becomes somewhat unhealthy and extremely annoying. Don’t bother trying to debate him on how good his team really is, he can’t be reasoned with.

Overrates the team? Nope. Underrates every other team? Nope, again. I'm the only one on here that consistently berates people for ridiculous trades when not thinking about the other team. Every draft pick is a future All-Star. BIG NOPE on that one. Quote one single post where I said that about any Suns draft pick. Ever.

I admit I'm much more of an optimist than many people here, but even if you call me a Homer, I definitely don't fit in the above definition. Unlike many people here I actually LIKE the Suns. There are plenty of fans of this team that follow them but don't really like the team.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

The bold is the best assessment of ASFN Ive seen in a long time.

As for you, you are becoming #11 before my very eyes (Bron Bron). :p

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Me :D

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you run a message board, you should give these fans their own thread or section where they can make their insane proposals without bothering everyone else.

:cool:

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
#2 :wave:

But i'm getting better!!

PS: I don't hate Nash,it's just that he's the catalyst for a style of basketball that i absolutely loathe.
I do hate Kobe but who doesn't? He's a little bitch. :D

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
#2 :wave:

But i'm getting better!!

PS: I don't hate Nash,it's just that he's the catalyst for a style of basketball that i absolutely loathe.
I do hate Kobe but who doesn't? He's a little bitch. :D

I'm pretty sure it says that on the back of his jersey.

Steve

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
I guess that everyone can see themslves in at lteat a few of those categories and see everyone else in the rest.. :(

Since this article was not written specifically about Suns fans, so it does not include a few that seem especially common here.

1. IT'S ALL SARVER'S (insert owner) FAULT. It is one thing to disagree with certain decisions, but the hatred of the owner is rarely if ever balanced with his successes.

2. MONDAY MORNING QUARTERBACK: Wrong sport, but always views the world with 20-20 hindsight. Looking at past mistakes can be useful in developing principles, but the Monday Morning Quarterback rarely.

3. ANTI-STATISTICS MAN: This person take legitimate criticism of the misuse of statistics as an excuse for dismissing all statistics that might force the fan to reconsider his position.

I guess the hardest part of the process is to accept that the word "fan" is short for "fanatic". This is the type of person that has the most problem understanding someone the point of view of others.

chickenhead

Reaction score
I'd say I'm a homer except that I don't necessarily overrate the Suns and underrate other teams. I just always think they can win and accept it when they don't. But I'm a bit of a darksider when it comes to Sarver. Learned from living with the Bidwills for so long.

Actually, my favorite example of #10 is a Cardinals example. Years ago on a different board we were lambasting Bill Gramatica for tearing his knee ligament in celebration of a minor field goal (I was at the game--the Giants fnas had a field day). A poster came on and ridiculed us for not understanding that Gramatica is latin and plays with love and joy in his heart, which overrides what happened.

On the upside, Tillman kicked off the rest of the game and it was awesome.

asudevil83

Reaction score
i think we are forgetting one more type of fan:

The Why Didnt We - The fan looks at a player signing and trade and decides that his favorite team could have made that move. And if he were GM he'd do it better. He's convinced that trading garbage for a quality player works all the time, and EVERYONE LOVES ARIZONA so they should sign here for nothing.....and when those dont happen its because or FO is a bunch of monkeys in suits

Last edited:

Irish

Registered
Reaction score

The Why Didnt We - The fan looks at a player signing and trade and decides that his favorite team could have made that move. And if he were GM he'd do it better. He's convinced that trading garbage for a quality player works all the time, and EVERYONE LOVES ARIZONA so they should sign here for nothing.....and when those dont happen its because or FO is a bunch of monkeys in suits

:raccoon:

There used to be a variation on this theme where fans would dismiss certain players because there wan't the minutes for them to play. Then the same fan would complain because the team doesn't have any quality trade pieces without breaking up the core.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score

I was just thinking about that type. The "No matter if he's available" we should sign him. It's a mixture of thinking one player will make a world of difference on our roster. Examples included :the unproven flashy point guard, the too old/often injured center. The "why didn't we" is a PRO at putting together the new lineups with this new player and letting us know that THIS is a finals team.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen