2010 Major League Soccer

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
We didn't have an MLS thread yet for this season. I realize not a lot of people watch it but the league is steadily improving and producing young players who are making jumps from MLS Youth Sides to the full team. MLS Developmental Academies are far from perfect and an obvious work in progress but it is something that we have something besides Bradenton to produce potential future national team players.

My DC United is terrible this season but the play of 19 yr old Bill Hamid is encouraging, you don't see many goalkeepers that young playing with such poise(youngest GK in MLS history to record a win--previously it was Tim Howard), their other academy product Andy Najar is unfortunately Honduran(I wish he were US eligible) but he is playing as well as any recent 17 yr old has in MLS.

The Galaxy are the class of the league still--even without Donovan, Beckham and Buddle. They have their own academy product playing very well right now...Tristan Bowen (a US U-20 player). He has scored in back to back games now.

More and more soccer specific stadiums are opening or being built...NY opened their Red Bull Arena this year and Philadelphia Union will open theirs later this summer.

Further expansion is on the horizon too. Vancouver & Portland starts next year (both in renovated stadiums--not new and not soccer specific unfortunately). Montreal starts in 2012. I wish they had expanded to the south rather than add another Canadian team and still think they have expanded too much too fast but it is what it is.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm a die-hard Galaxy fan (the only LA team I actually like). They are 10-0-2 right now and a full 12 points ahead of second place in the Western Conference.

The quality of the league is still lacking when compared to the major leagues overseas (EPL, La Liga, Serie A), but it's getting better. Looks like they'll be getting some more big names as well -- along with Beckham, we might see Theirry Henry and Raul here sometime in the next year.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
MLS shouldn't even be thinking about comparing themselves to the top few European leagues. Certainly not for 20-30 years, if ever. They should, and certainly could, be comparing themselves to the next teir in World leagues. The Belgian, Scottish, Austrian, Swiss, Scandiavian etc. leagues for now, then Portugal and Holland in 10-15 years. I have been impressed with the steady development of MLS. They have learnt, mostly, from the failures of the NASL.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
MLS shouldn't even be thinking about comparing themselves to the top few European leagues. Certainly not for 20-30 years, if ever. They should, and certainly could, be comparing themselves to the next teir in World leagues. The Belgian, Scottish, Austrian, Swiss, Scandiavian etc. leagues for now, then Portugal and Holland in 10-15 years. I have been impressed with the steady development of MLS. They have learnt, mostly, from the failures of the NASL.

Bla bla bla......

Nice to see LA destroying the league. Bruce Arena has worked wonders. I have half season tix Chaplin. Maybe we could meet up for a brew at the Home Depot Center.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Bla bla bla......

Nice to see LA destroying the league. Bruce Arena has worked wonders. I have half season tix Chaplin. Maybe we could meet up for a brew at the Home Depot Center.
err . . .what was the blah blah blah for?

I am praising the MLS you fool. I think they have done a great job. If you think they should be comparing and competing with the top 4/5 leagues in the World anytime soon then you're fooling yourself. That is the kind of attitude that caused the NASL to fail.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Bla bla bla......

That would be cool, I have yet to go to a game this season (last year I went to the Dynamo and Barcelona games).

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Sir Alex Ferguson praises improvement in Major League Soccer

"American soccer is starting to make an impact and it is so improved, " he said.

"I made that point about the United States team before the World Cup. I said they were going to play like real athletes – the guys are fit, committed, they believe in themselves.

"I think American football is that way – they're all fit, athletic, they've got a good feel for the pitch. You can see that there is improvement in MLS. I have spoken to many people in the last few months about that and there is a big upsurge."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jul/09/alex-ferguson-major-league-soccer

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anything that adds exposure to the league is a good thing.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't think he's really debating where he wants to go. He's shown this past WC he's still a top center back. Frankly he and Chiellini (hopefully not WC Chiellini) will make one of the best CB combos in Europe. He was supposed to have a talk with Pep, im sure he's on his way to Juve soon.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/soccer/07/15/donovan.mls.ap/index.html

I understand that MLS is looking out for themselves but this is just bad news. Donovan has been loyal to the league and he has expressed a desire to play full time in England...why do you hold him back?

The goal of Major League Soccer is to grow the sport and increase it's popularity. Their thinking probably is that the league would take a huge step back if they sold Landon to somewhere overseas. Not saying I agree with it, but I would imagine that's part or most of their reasoning.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I am sure that exactly was their thinking, they referred to Donovan as an American "Soccer Hero", their thinking is he is too valuable to the league to lose. I just think it sucks for Donovan and to a lesser extent those of us that are fans of his and want to see him play at the highest level from week to week.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Well, THIS took me by surprise!

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=809023&sec=transfers&cc=5901

MLS owner hints Ronaldinho will sign for Galaxy

By Soccernet staff

July 16, 2010

Real Salt Lake owner Dave Checketts has hinted that AC Milan forward Ronaldinho will be joining MLS side L.A. Galaxy imminently.

Ronaldinho, 30, has been linked with a move to MLS as well as Brazilian club Flamengo, even if Milan remain insistent that they will not be selling the former FIFA World Player of the Year.

Now Checketts has said that Galaxy are preparing to respond to New York Red Bulls' capture of Thierry Henry by making a significant signing of their own.

"I expect, by the way, Major League Soccer to make another announcement in the next couple of days about another very big world superstar coming to our league," Checketts told radio station KALL 10 Sports.

"Not to our team, I don't want to mislead anybody, but another one of our teams is going to make a major investment and that will be a big announcement in the next couple of days.

"I would imagine that this guy's coming to L.A. and you'll all recognise who he is." When asked if the mystery man was Brazilian, he replied: "I think he might."

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Ronaldinho to Galaxy makes them big time MLS Cup favorites (if they weren't already). When is Beckham supposed to be back and training?

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Chicago to announce Designated Player tomorrow...

Speculation was it was going to be Blanco but he just signed with a club in Mexico, the other rumor is...

Another name floating around for Chicago's designated player slot is 26-year-old Mexican forward Nery Castillo. Castillo played for Mexico through the World Cup qualifying stages but was not included on the national team for the World Cup.

They will announce who it is after their game on Saturday on the Jumbotron at the stadium.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
It is official...Chicago's DP is Nery "Unibrow" Castillo

You must be registered for see images

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
MVP of the league within two years. This is going to be great for Nery.
Excellent!!! I heard he was a flake, but they said the same about Blanco, and he turned out fine for the Fire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard