2010 World Cup Draw

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Almost a dream draw...can't complain at all.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
6/12: 2:30 PM EST vs. England at Royal Bafokeng (Rustenburg)
6/18: 10 AM EST vs. Slovenia at Ellis Park (Johannesburg)
6/23: 10 AM EST vs. Algeria at Loftus Versfeld (Tshwane/Pretoria)

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Amaing draw, we should make the round of 16...

After that it doesnt matter, without Davies and ***** it wont matter if we play Germany or Ghana, because we wont be beating either.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Incredible. Has our luck finally turned? We might have one of the best groups in the field (except for the luck France had).

Could Group G be one of the toughest groups in the history of the World Cup? Ivory Coast, Brazil, AND Portugal? And isn't it appropriate that North Korea is the 4th team in that group? ;)

Last edited:

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
I say our luck has broke even. I think with Davies and ***** at full strength we had a good shot to advance as long as we didnt have a terrible draw. While the draw definitely benefits the US, it also has to make you want to kick yourself because of what could be with ***** and Davies on the squad in June.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
lol you guys are weird...

France luck? They will struggle against Mexico and Uruguay.

USA should make it through? Sorry but Algeria is a very good team you will see. They knocked out the African Chamption to get to the World Cup. Their entire top 11 plays in the first league in France, Germany, England pretty much.

Slovenia is also no worse than you guys.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Group A:
1. Uruguay 5 Points
2. Mexico 5 Points
3. France 5 Points
4. South Africa 0 Points

Group B:
1. Argentina 7 Points
2. Nigeria 4 Points
3. South Korea 3 Points
4. Greece 2 Points

Group C:
1. England 9 Points
2. Algeria 4 Points
3. USA 2 Points
4. Slowenia 1 Point

Group D:
1. Germany 9 Points
2. Serbia 6 Points
3. Australia 1 Point
4. Ghana 1 Point

Group E:
1. Netherlands 9 Points
2. Denmark 6 Points
3. Japan 3 Points
4. Camerun 0 Points

Group F:
1. Slovakia 7 Points
2. Italy 7 Points
3. Paraguay 3 Points
4. New Zealand 0 Points

Group G:
1. Ivory Coast 7 Points
2. Portugal 6 Points
3. Brazil 4 Points
4. North Korea 0 Points

Group H:
1. Spain 7 Points
2. Chile 5 Points
3. Suisse 4 Points
4. Honduras 0 Points

Uruguay 2:1 Nigeria
England 3:1 Serbia
Germany 3:1 Algeria
Argentina 2:1 Mexico
Netherlands 2:0 Italy
Ivory Coast 2:1 Chile
Slovakia 1:2 Denmark
Spain 3:1 Portugal

Quarterfinals:
Netherlands 2:0 Ivory Coast
England 2:1 Uruguay
Argentina 1:2 Germany
Denmark 0:3 Spain

Halbfinale:
Netherlands 1:2 Germany
England 2:3 Spain

Finale:
Germany 2:1 Spain

ole ole

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
France essentially got seeded, like it or not.

I dont think its a foregone conclusion that the US advances, but if they dont I think everyone agrees it will be a huge disappointment considering we have the 2nd best draw we could have hoped for.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
You really think Portugal is going to advance over Brazil?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Well that is because you were hoping wrong..

Algeria is not an easy draw. England isn't better to have than South Africa etc.

I'd say the USA have a 30% chance to make it out of the group.

Brazil isn't a very good side in my opinion right now. I have them playing a draw with Ivory Coast and losing to Portugal, I got Ivory Coast beating Portugal and North Korea losing all.

The favorites in my opinion are Spain, Germany and England.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

France luck? They will struggle against Mexico and Uruguay.

USA should make it through? Sorry but Algeria is a very good team you will see. They knocked out the African Chamption to get to the World Cup. Their entire top 11 plays in the first league in France, Germany, England pretty much.

We also beat the African champions too, 3-0, just a couple of months back. I don't care where their top 11 plays, you can't use that as a measuring stick especially when you earlier say France will struggle and their top 11 can boast the same thing.

It was a favorable draw for the US, better group than '06 not easy but not impossible.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Well that is because you were hoping wrong..

Algeria is not an easy draw. England isn't better to have than South Africa etc.

I'd say the USA have a 30% chance to make it out of the group.

Brazil isn't a very good side in my opinion right now. I have them playing a draw with Ivory Coast and losing to Portugal, I got Ivory Coast beating Portugal and North Korea losing all.

The favorites in my opinion are Spain, Germany and England.

You can't talk up a team like Algeria--did you even see the game where they beat Egypt? It was not a great game. Both teams didn't look great (we beat Egypt a few months earlier as well), and if I remember correctly, the only goal in the Egypt/Algeria game was more luck than skill and it was late in the game.

Do you EVER give your bias a rest?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
It is not bias, why would I have bias against the USA? Algeria is simply the better team in my opinion at least. I know that the German coach rated them the toughest team in that pot.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You're a German who predicts Germany to win the World Cup. If that doesn't make you seem unobjective, I don't know what will.

I'd like to know why you think Algeria is a better team. And beating Egypt isn't good enough, because we had an easier time beating Egypt than Algeria did.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score

I could not think of one Algerian national team player, off the top of my head. Perhaps I would be more educated about these formidable international players if I currently lived in Europe. So... I did a little research.

Using the starting XI on the pitch for the Egypt match (you mentioned) and the two players that were reported to have started if not for disiplinary reasons, your information is wrong. Only 6 of those 13 Algerian players are currently on a top league squad, with very few of those 6 seeing significant playing time. Your logic would make Freddy Adu the greatest American player of all time.

Algeria and Slovenia did earn their qualifications, but both were considered upsets. They are two of the weakest national sides in South Africa 2010 and every fan of the MNT is smiling. England can be beat with offensive pace and defensive tight marking on set-pieces. Two things USA has the ability to pull off.

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
haha because that makes you biased when your are thinking that the current Vice-European Champion, with the best youth players currently in the world and all-time favorite is a favorite to win the whole thing.

Euro 2008 - 2nd place
World Cup 2006 - 3rd place

Almost all recent youth tournaments were won by Germany.

Our team is way more talented than in 2006 or 2008.

Clearly biased to repick the the European Cup Final from 2008.. which is a much stronger competition than the World Cup anyway.

Well lets hope you can make it out of your group to meet us.

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I could not think of one Algerian national team player, off the top of my head. Perhaps I would be more educated about these formidable international players if I currently lived in Europe. So... I did a little research.

Using the starting XI on the pitch for the Egypt match (you mentioned) and the two players that were reported to have started if not for disiplinary reasons, your information is wrong. Only 6 of those 13 Algerian players are currently on a top league squad, with very few of those 6 seeing significant playing time. Your logic would make Freddy Adu the greatest American player of all time.

Algeria and Slovenia did earn their qualifications, but both were considered upsets. They are two of the weakest national sides in South Africa 2010 and every fan of the MNT is smiling. England can be beat with offensive pace and defensive tight marking on set-pieces. Two things USA has the ability to pull off.

Bougherra - Glasgow Rangers
Belhadji - Portsmouth
Yahia - Bochum
Halliche - Benfica
Yebda - Portsmouth
Ghilas - Hull City
Meghni - Lazio
Bezzas - Racing Strasbourg
Matmour - Gladbach
Ziana - Wolfsburg
Ghezzal - Siena
Zoheir - AEK Athen

USA: total value 25.000.000£
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/nationalmannschaft/3505/united-states/uebersicht/startseite.html

Algeria: total value 40.600.000£
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/nationalmannschaft/3614/algeria/uebersicht/startseite.html

Wonder if they are biased too..

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Bougherra - Glasgow Rangers
Belhadji - Portsmouth
Yahia - Bochum
Halliche - Benfica
Yebda - Portsmouth
Ghilas - Hull City
Meghni - Lazio
Bezzas - Racing Strasbourg
Matmour - Gladbach
Ziana - Wolfsburg
Ghezzal - Siena
Zoheir - AEK Athen

USA: total value 25.000.000£
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/nationalmannschaft/3505/united-states/uebersicht/startseite.html

Algeria: total value 40.600.000£
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/nationalmannschaft/3614/algeria/uebersicht/startseite.html

Wonder if they are biased too..

That means absolutely nothing. You spent all that time coming up with that info and that's what you're using to say that Algeria is better than the US? Come on slin.

I think that there is a 90% chance that we will meet (and lose to) Germany in the 2nd round.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
No I didnt say that Algeria is definately better, but you are saying you got an easy draw and I am saying that is not the case as personally I would give Algeria a 60:40 edge over the USA.
When Michael Bradley is your highest rated player you know you are in trouble. Team USA has to win with a team effort because individually Algeria is much more talented with players like Ziani.

I'll say it again Algeria is a dangerous little known team.

Last edited:

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
No I didnt say that Algeria is definately better, but you are saying you got an easy draw and I am saying that is not the case as personally I would give Algeria a 60:40 edge over the USA.
When Michael Bradley is your highest rated player you know you are in trouble. Team USA has to win with a team effort because individually Algeria is much more talented with players like Ziani.

In what universe is Bradley rated higher than Landon Donovan?