2010 World Cup Draw

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Landon Donovan is a running gag in all of Europe actually.

Oh no! Arrogant Euros don't respect Landon, that makes us so sad...perhaps they should have watched the Confederations cup, where he tore it up against top competition.

Keep underestimating the US, I hope the majority of the world is doing the same.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Oh no! Arrogant Euros don't respect Landon, that makes us so sad...perhaps they should have watched the Confederations cup, where he tore it up against top competition.

Keep underestimating the US, I hope the majority of the world is doing the same.

Nobody could care less about the Confed Cup in Europe either. Actually it is a thorn in the side for all the major european leagues and clubs would like to get rid off it.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Nobody could care less about the Confed Cup in Europe either. Actually it is a thorn in the side for all the major european leagues and clubs would like to get rid off it.

I'm just glad we have the voice of Europe on board here, strange that all these teams sent over their full squads for the tournament.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I'm just glad we have the voice of Europe on board here, strange that all these teams sent over their full squads for the tournament.

Because they have to, it is not like they have a choice.

And here is your biggest problem: You start into the tournament against England, a game you have 0.1% chance of not losing and a 25% chance of getting absolutely destroyed.
Team USA will be under a lot of pressure after that, let's see if they can bounce back then.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

And here is your biggest problem: You start into the tournament against England, a game you have 0.1% chance of not losing and a 25% chance of getting absolutely destroyed.
Team USA will be under a lot of pressure after that, let's see if they can bounce back then.

Guys, we have known for a long time that slinslin is a holder to the uber-arrogant, idiotic European snob attitude against U.S. Soccer (Yep, soccer). The above post is proof enough, even if the rest of this thread is not. I mean, it's sad that you can type the above and actually believe it. Percentages on games? Maybe you're just a troll trying to stir up trouble all the time? What happened in 1950, the last time we met in the WC? And the odds are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better for us now :)

Are we a great national side? Nope. Are we hot garbage? Not even close. We're a pretty average national squad, but we are clearly the second best squad in our group. We had a marvelous draw. As long as we don't eff it up, we should advance to the round of 16, though I don't hold out much hope after that. Does that mean we will advance? No, of course not. Nothing is ever certain. Should we advance? Most definitely.

Do we know for certain that ***** will be out? That would really suck. I heard a radio interview with Davies, and he thinks he'll be ready to play. I doubt it, but he sounds like he's bouncing back quite nicely.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I don't think your odds are better, England currently is the 2nd best team in the world after Spain.
With Capello they finally have a good coach, but despite all that I doubt they can win the whole thing because after all they are still England.

Maybe you are just more biased than I am because you think that you are clearly the 2nd best team in your group, yet neutral well-respected soccer sites have your team rated the least valueable in terms of individual players.

Algeria-USA, Slovenia-USA are two games that are absolutely wide open and can go either way easily.

Team USA has a history of over-achieveing in the tournament, lets see if they can do it again.

In a sense you had a weak draw because Slovenia is clearly worse than Denmark, Portugal, Serbia, France, Greece or Switzerland but they are still a team that is on par with the USA.

Last edited:

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
Here are the odds on who will win Group C:
England- 3/10
USA- 9/2
Slovenia- 9/1
Algeria- 14/1

Oh and England is not the 2nd best team in the world, at least according to FIFA. Brazil is 2nd. England is 9th, USA is 14th, Algeria is 28th, and Slovenia is 33rd.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Really? Where is that written? Spain didn't need to play with Xavi, Iniesta and Puyol, they have plenty of young talent to take their place. Brazil came with a full squad and beat us (barely, I might add). But hey, if you say they want to get rid of that tournament, then you MUST be right.

Can someone be ignorant and arrogant at the same time? I guess so. You can also know absolutely nothing about US soccer, which is surprising since you come off as such a football elitist.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Ok so we didnt get an easy draw, according to you. In that case what group would have been an easier draw for the USA?

You are contending that we are already looking ahead to the round of 16. The point everyone else here is trying to get you to recognize is that the USA couldnt have asked for a better draw. THAT IS THE POINT.

As for how we fare against England, that doesnt matter. What matters is how we fare against Slovenia and Algeria, because if we lost either we are essentially doomed. I dont expect us to beat England, but if by some miracle we play to a draw does that make you completely and utterly wrong on how good England is and how bad the US is?

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
FIFA rankings are absolutely meaningless, even worse than NBA or NFL power rankings.

Interesting that they are meaningless. I mean it wasn't like they were actually used to help determine the seeds. If they are meaningless where do you get your rankings? You watch every game of all 207 countries in FIFA?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Thought you all would like the official PDF schedule. Click the link below and on the right you will see the PDF.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/index.html

I think everyone is overlooking that it will be somewhat "winter like" in South Africa at that time. I think the US will get 2nd behind England and that Germany, and the Dutch will do really well.

I don't think any of the African or South African teams will be good early. But Euro teams will do well early.

My picks to do really well.....
Spain (My winner)
Brazil - Just because they rock
England
Netherlands - My Runner up.
Germany
France
Denmark
and the Swiss (my spoiler)

Attachments

• fifawc2010matchschedulefinalversion.jpg
    fifawc2010matchschedulefinalversion.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 54

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
My favorites for the title are actually:

Tier 1 - Spain
Tier 2 - Germany, England
Tier 3 - Netherlands
Tier 4 - France, Italy, Portugal, Brazil, Argentina

But screw the tier 4 teams, I will be shocked if any of them wins it.
France has Domenech, enough said.
Portugal has Queiroz and will sooner or later falter even if they play great football to that point.
Italy is old and lacks offensive firepower, they will struggle to put away lesser teams.
Argentina has Maradona coaching them that should add some comedy to the drama.
Brazil isn't the Brazil we know, they don't play inspired offensive football, they don't have all these outstanding indivual players right now.

England is bound to choke sooner or later just as they always do.
Which would leave Spain, Germany and Netherlands. The Netherlands usually choke just like England. Spain has never won a World Cup but are clearly the most talented team in the world.
But I think that we can challenge Spain for that title in the next 2-4 years. We won the U16, U17 and U21 competitions this year, out youth teams are exceptional.
We got world class talents at the offensive midfield positions right now in Toni Kroos and Mesut Oezil something we haven't had in decades and a lot more young players who are close to already making the national team, it all depends on wether especially Oezil, Kroos and Mueller can keep up their rapid development until the World Cup.

Hoping this will be our team, but it is unlikely since Klose and Podolski have such an unique goal record for the national team that you can't leave them off the starting unit despite their club performances.

____________________Gomez(Kiesling/Klose)_____________________
Oezil(Hunt)_______________Kroos(Podolski)_______________Marin(Mueller)
_________Schweinsteiger(Khedira)___Ballack(Rolfes)_________________
Lahm(Aogo)_____________________________________Boateng( Castro)
________Mertesacker(Badstuber)__Westermann(Hoewedes)___________
______________________Adler(Neuer/Wiese)______________________

So far I have seen US-fans claiming the got a good group thinking they should get 2nd and I got the same reaction from Algeria and Slovenia fans which is probably because all 3 teams are about as good with every one of them having about the same chance to get 2nd.
A big advantage could be playing England last because they might have the #1 spot locked up with 2 wins in the first 2 games.

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
ESPN's team by team analysis...

Here is the write up for the US group...
GROUP C

England: The big one in the group sees David Beckham and Landon Donovan come face to face. Fabio Capello will be exceptionally happy with the draw as his side have shown themselves capable of beating the U.S. recently, a 2-0 win at Wembley, and won't be too worried by the task they face. Slovenia were battered the last time the two teams met and Algeria should prove few problems for Wayne Rooney and company either. Fabio Capello doesn't think so though: "I think it is one of the most balanced groups. Algeria have beaten Egypt so they are a dangerous side. I remember there have been groups that looked easy but then became really complicated," he told Sky Italia.
• Prediction: With the stars on show, England should feel comfortable of topping the group. The trouble may come in the knockout stages when penalties are involved.

USA: The target for David Beckham and the MLS was to raise the profile of American soccer, now that they have drawn England that task is achieved. The country will explode with excitement at the prospect of facing Beckham in their first match and won't be too worried about their other opponents. The 2002 World Cup was a great moment for the U.S. and the 2010 version could be the same if they manage to see off the lesser lights.
• Prediction: Second in the group should be seen as a success and there should be few problems for the U.S. as they survey their group.

Algeria: A huge game against Egypt saw the Algerians progress, but they may not get much further. It is a very big deal in Algeria that the side made it in the first place, so they may not be too bothered about missing out on the knockout rounds. That said, if they managed to beat Egypt, they could upset the U.S. too. They should have enough to beat Slovenia, but without any major stars to step up when needed, won't be viewed as dark horses just yet.
• Prediction: They won't finish bottom, but there's little chance of them making it past England and the U.S.

Slovenia: They are ranked 33rd in the world and England had very little trouble beating them in a recent friendly. The fact that they beat Russia in the play-offs shows that Matjaz Kek's side cannot be underestimated, but England and the U.S. will not view them with any particular concern. Most likely, they will fight hard, but could be forced to battle with Algeria to ensure they are not left with the wooden spoon.
• Prediction: Bottom of the group. There is little to suggest that they will cause an upset, but they will be pleased to have made it in the first place.

The whole article is here... http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/feature?id=708071&cc=5901&ver=us

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
From SI.com...

Grant Wahl's take...
The vast majority of pundits around the world will pick the U.S. to advance to the knockout round along with England, and with good reason. Slovenia and Algeria were two of the biggest surprises in November even to qualify for the World Cup, both countries needing upsets in playoffs against Russia (by Slovenia) and Egypt (by Algeria) to reach the field of 32. Algeria and Slovenia are arguably the worst teams from Africa and Europe, respectively, to qualify for South Africa.

Whole article is here... http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/grant_wahl/12/04/wcup.draw/index.html

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Wow that article just goes to show you the lack of good soccer coverage in the USA I guess.

What the hell is the author talking about?

A huge game against Egypt saw the Algerians progress, but they may not get much further. It is a very big deal in Algeria that the side made it in the first place, so they may not be too bothered about missing out on the knockout rounds.

Is he serious?

Then he goes on about how Algeria lacks stars to step up, yet the US team has even less stars. Landon Donovan is only a star in the USA.

Wow... his comments on Slovenia are the icing on the cake. That is so silly. First he says that they can't be underestimated only to say that England and the US will disregard them.

Hilarious..

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Wow I actually took some time to read some of Jon Carter's other predictions and I am truly in shock how little someone can know..

Serbia: Their first World Cup as an independent nation, Serbia do have a host of skilled players (and one of the best youth setups around). However, without the experience they could suffer and should stutter against Germany for certain. Nemanja Vidic will be the rock at the back, but they will have to be at their very best if they are to make it through.
• Prediction: Serbia may struggle to compete against some more physical and experienced sides. A place in the knockout stages would be a real shock.

Serbia only won their group ahead of France, beat Romania 5-0 etc.

They got a defense made up by top players. Vidic from ManU, Ivanovic from Chelsea, Subotic from Dortmund that half the Premier League is chasing for 20M£, Kolarov from Lazio who was rumored to be a target for Bayern, Dragutinovic from Seville, Gojko Kacar from Berlin is a ****ing good midfielder, Stankovic from Inter Mailand, Milos Krasic from CSKA, Jovanovic, Pantelic, Zigic, Kuzmanovic, Tosic...

Their squad is the 12th most valueable based on player values.

It will be a massive shock if they DON'T get the 2nd place, they even have a chance at beating us.

Greece beating Nigeria isn't exactly an upset either, since they won the European Cup in 2004 and are ranked 12th in the world eventhough it's just the meaningless FIFA rankings.

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Other takes on the US draw...

From the Telegraph in the UK..
Uncle Sam’s super-fit passion-players simply cannot be taken lightly. The US may not boast a star like Wayne Rooney but their work ethic is second to none. These will be difficult, sweat-stained 90 minutes, requiring Emile Heskey to win a muscular contest with AC Milan’s Oguchi Onyewu to force open a route to Tim Howard’s goal for Rooney.

From The Sun in the UK...
They will be extremely well organised. American coaches in every sport are always so meticulous in their planning.

Bob Bradley's team will be no pushovers. They reached the final of the Confederations Cup this year, beating Euro 2008 champs Spain along the way.

And they enjoyed good wins over Mexico, Honduras and Costa Rica in qualifying for South Africa.

They are tipped to make it through the group with England.

Fulham midfielder Clint Dempsey and LA Galaxy striker Landon Donovan could be ones to watch.

Also from The Sun...
Slovenia coach Matjaz Kek said: "England and USA are favourites for this group but we can play.

Algeria coach Rabah Saadane said: "It's a group that gives England and the USA the advantage."

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Wow that article just goes to show you the lack of good soccer coverage in the USA I guess.

What the hell is the author talking about?

A huge game against Egypt saw the Algerians progress, but they may not get much further. It is a very big deal in Algeria that the side made it in the first place, so they may not be too bothered about missing out on the knockout rounds.

Is he serious?

Then he goes on about how Algeria lacks stars to step up, yet the US team has even less stars. Landon Donovan is only a star in the USA.

Wow... his comments on Slovenia are the icing on the cake. That is so silly. First he says that they can't be underestimated only to say that England and the US will disregard them.

Hilarious..

LOL do you actually read what you write? Germany has NO stars either, yet you're slobbering all over them. Mario Gomez, Miro Klose, Bastian... those guys are all stars in Germany, but nowhere else. And this year, they are barely stars considering their club team sucks. Ruud Hullit was right--the reason why Germany is so good is because they play well as a team, but they have no individual stars on the team. Michael Ballack isn't even a lock to start anymore. You don't need stars to have a good team--don't be a hypocrite and claim you need to when your favorite doesn't.

Every expert has pretty much said the same thing about the draw. Only you are the one blasting everything.

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Um yes Ballack is a lock to start.

Ballack and Lahm are stars and Oezil will show the world in this tournament that he is one in the making.

That plus Podolski's + Klose's international goal scoring record is absolutely unmatched. You can look up the stats if you don't believe me. Germany scored the most goals over the last 3 or so competitions too.

Besides where did I say you need stars? The author of that rubbish article implied that much to downgrade Algeria, yet the USA have no stars either and he is penciling them in as the 2nd seed that's all I was saying.

Oh well I can't wait for the tournament when we will go far once again and everyone will try to disrepect us once again saying we get win by luck and we don't really play that well and that our players aren't good individually just because Podolski prefered to go back to Cologne instead of taking a 20M£ offer from ManCity, or Lahm extending with Bayern instead of going to Barca just like Klose did years ago and Gomez did now.
Maybe Arsenal can convince Oezil to leave Germany, at least ManU would have a decent chance at Adler since he said he would like to play in the PL.

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Remember Sinslin is under the impression that he knows more than anyone since he is from a football nation. Thats like me being arrogant enough to think I know more about basketball because I am from the US.

I tend to ignore his comments more often than not. His bias on here is well documented...he dislikes everything American when it comes to soccer, he says nothing positive. US players aren't good enough, our soccer writers aren't good enough, our fans aren't knowledgeable enough...blah blah blah

Its actually quite funny because you can see how badly he is trying to convince himself of his drivel.