Your Top 10 singing voices.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Guitar Solos. Check.

Now let's hear about some voices. People who could belt it out, and still sound amazing.......at least to you ;) Male or female it doesn't matter.

Let's hear them. It is always good to share music.

I will post mine soon.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Some notes for the list: 1. I hate whiners. Not making the list if you are whining and crying into a microphone. Big difference between singing with soul or crooning, and just plain whining. 2. The style of music I listen to is, for the most part devoid of good singers so this is a very tough list for me. 3. Opera, and a couple other genre are not my cup of tea eventhough there are some opera singers that are just amazing. But once again not my cup of tea.

1. Aretha Franklin - You want soul. You want emotion. No one is better. I Never Loved a Man (The Way that I Love You). Is a great respresentation of what she could do.

2. Mike Patton - (Faith No More, Mr. Bungle, many others) Pick a range, any range. Pick a style any style. Mike Patton will sing it, and sing it better than most. He can hit any pitch, note, etc., etc. He innovates, and is revolutionary in his thinking. Why is he not known? He just can't conform. Extremely talented, IMO and his voice is great no matter how he uses it. His album he did with The Dillinger Escape Plan is my second favorite album of all time.

3. Otis Redding - Same thing. Soul singing. No whining here. He was that perfect balance of a man's voice, with emotion. Just an amazing, powerful voice.

4. Ella Fitzgerald - I'm going old school here. The amazing thing about her, is her voice transcends the old style recording equipment of when she was in her prime. Her voice is full, calming, and a joy to listen to.

5. Paul Simon - You either love him or hate him. I like him a lot. His voice is soothing and it compliments his music well.

6. M.J. Blidge - I don't particularly care for her music. I wouldn't listen to it on my own. But there is no denying her voice, and its power. I would love for to hear her try another genre. For a modern age filled with *********, B-rate models trying to pass themselves off as singers she is someone that actually has talent. I am hoping when she becomes old and fat she will change her style. Just cannot deny her voice.

7. Rivers Cuomo (Weezer) - The guy is very gifted and his voice is very strong, and he controls it very well. I listen to Weezer even though it is not my typical time of music that I enjoy. Why? Cause this guy's voice is pretty good.

8. Chino Moreno (Deftones) - Finally a metallish guy makes the list. Chino has a very special voice, and even though the newer deftones stuff gets a little too whiny for me, the first three deftones albums will be forever on my MP3 players, CD rack, etc., etc. A very powerful voice, that fits his band perfectly. Just a power live as on recordings....actually it is better live.

9. Bradley Nowell (Sublime) - Ugh. It seems some talents just need to be taken away from us. I throw this guy in the same category as Paul Simon. He has a natural soothing voice. It is perfect for his band, and perfect for what they did. Another guy who was much better live than on a recording.

10. Save this spot for an edit later.... I know I am forgetting someone

Honorable Mentions:
- Phil Anselmo (Pantera, Down)
- Luke Muir (All Else Failed, Philly Hardcore's best kept secret)
- James Brown (Godfather of Soul, Hardest Working man is show business)

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steve Perry, Journey. "Mother, Father" ... you never hear American Idol contestants attempt this one. That's because none of them have the range.

Chris Cornell. Just a great rock voice with unusual range and a rare sincerity.

Freddie Mercury.

George Michael.

Ann Wilson

Axl Rose

Eric Clapton (way underrated)

Scott Weiland

Elvis Presley

Bono

Honorable mention: Sting, because even though he's a "stylist," his ear is better than most. He writes songs with unusual accidentals and intervals that can be very challenging to someone not familiar with jazz.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A bit off topic, but what do you get when you combine the voices of Geddy Lee and Robert Plant? Hell, combine the musical styles too. Prog rock meets blues inspired rock? You get The Parlor Mob, from New frickin Jersey.

Stumbled onto this band as an opener at a recent show and they blew the doors off the band I went to see. I HIGHLY recommend checking this band out.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
1. Brian Mcknight
2. Andrea Bocelli
3. Whitney <---- In her Prime.
4. Steve Perry
5. San Cooke
6. Stevie Wonder
7. Martina McBride <-- Before she went god on us.
8. Bono
9. Mariah
10. Freddy Mercury

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Freddie Mercury

That is why I left a spot open. He is high up on my list too.

Phenominal voice, and creativity.

Chris Cornell is up there but he is a bit of a mumbler. He should be on my honorable mention list tho. I have A LOT of soundgarden, and even some Audioslave.

Scott Wieland....can't stand him. But, I think it is because he is over played to death and back. To say he is over played is an understatement actually. I think if I took space ship to the end of the universe and tuned the radio on I would hear him singing something.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
1. Brian Mcknight
2. Andrea Bocelli
3. Whitney <---- In her Prime.
4. Steve Perry
5. San Cooke
6. Stevie Wonder
7. Martina McBride <-- Before she went god on us.
8. Bono
9. Mariah
10. Freddy Mercury

Nice. Stevie Wonder is another good one that I missed. That man can belt it out.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Freddie Mercury

George Michael

Ann Wilson

Bono

Cass Elliot

Ed Roland

Robert Plant

Paul McCartney

Christina Aguilera

Smokey Robinson

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of the ones I would have mentioned have been already.

Brian McKnight
Babyface
Stevie Wonder
Mariah Carey
Celine Dion
Christina Aguilera

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No particular order...

Sam Cooke
Burt Cummings (the guess who)
Robert Plant
Marvin Gaye
Freddy Mercury

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, yeah. he plays first base.

who?

right.

:rollyeyes:

Didn't see that one coming. ;)

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Freddie Mercury
Robert Plant
Rob Halford
Bruce Dickinson
Ronnie James Dio
Bon Scott
Jim Morrison
Patsy Cline
Roger Daltry
Ozzy Osbourne

Those are my favorite singing voices. Or, maybe, my favorite singers. Not who I think are the "best ever".

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
Eddie Vedder
Johnny Cash
David Gilmore
Al Green
Jewel
Elton John
Bono
Chris Cornell
Adam Duritz
Elvis

ozzfloyd

The Carp
Reaction score
Roy Orbison (Best male, rock voice ever IMO)
David Gilmour
Freddy Mercury
Ronnie James Dio
Steve Perry
Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree)
Ozzy Osbourne (Technically speaking, he's terrible, but it somehow works and I dig it)
Rob Halford
Mike Love (Beach Boys)
Robert Plant