Big Shot Bob strikes again!

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Apparently I don't know what a cheap shot is anymore, because that play looked dirty as hell. He set a blind pick on a guy who was in the air.

KCi

Reaction score
I'm a Laker fan and Horry used to be one of my favorite players but after watching that replay, I definitely think it was intentional. The Spurs must've gone through their pre game reports and I'm sure everybody was aware of West's injury. Most players if they see a player backing down in mid air would keep their hands above their chests to stop the impact, Horry folds his arm and coincidentally leans forward and hits West squarely in his lower back? BS That play was dirty as hell. That move would've caused serious injuries even if West had no prior back problems. Checking someone in mid air right in the lower back? ugh Screw Horry.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, Horry didn't knock Nash out of any series last year. He still played.

As far as tonight, puh-lease. Horry didn't even leave his feet! He just leaned in to him. Big freakin deal! God you Spurs haters kill me! I'm sick of the Spurs too but come on! Be real!

One thing I did notice, at least the Hornets didn't have any players do something dumb like leave the bench. Obviously they didn't think it was that big of a deal.

So it is only a big deal if the opposing team comes of the bench? Well hot damn.. Damn if you do , damned if you dont.. Didnt Spurs fans call Amare and Boris dumb asses for leaving the bench? Now its a non issue since no one left the bench? Great logic..

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The entire Spurs organization is a joke.

gdiddy

Registered
Reaction score
You know, it seems like a lot of Suns fans are making an about-face and turning into Spurs apologists.

That was an intentional move by Horry, leaning into West's back to cause the injury.

Once again, basketball has degenerated into the old Spurs strategy: if you can't beat em, hurt em!

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
that was such a dirty play. he leaned into him with his fists going into his back. he should be suspended. he's a joke. get out of the league. don't ruin other people's time in the NBA. a screen there was completely out of strategy, there was no need for a screen. get this goon out of the league.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Yeah, why not just set a pick instead of leaning into him and pushing up into his back?

It wasn't as Dirty as the Nash hit, but it was still a move that should have not happened.

Trophytown

Registered
Reaction score
All this bitchin comin from fans of a team who's one player (Raja Bell) placed Kaman in a near choke hold and that same player intentionally clotheselined the Lakers best player. Clotheslined..............

If Horry is dirty so is Raja...........

West was ALREADY injured and Horry just set a back pick that aggravated the injury. It was a play in the context of a game. There would be validation in being upset if Horry set out to hurt West.......but his pick just inflamed an already painful injury previously encountered.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
All this bitchin comin from fans of a team who's one player (Raja Bell) placed Kaman in a near choke hold and that same player intentionally clotheselined the Lakers best player. Clotheslined..............

West was ALREADY injured and Horry just set a back pick that aggravated the injury. It was a play in the context of a game. There would be validation in being upset if Horry set out to hurt West.......but his pick just inflamed an already painful injury previously encountered.

Which is why he might want to set a normal pick next time instead of going up and into his back. he most likley knew of his previous trouble there.

As far as Raja goes, I don't think anyone on the board would argue about some of his past dirty plays. Some of them were down right bad. He seems to have controlled his anger latley in that area, but I don't think it would shock anyone here if he did something again.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Trophytown

Raja is DIRTY.
But he is not as dirty as Bowen, who does shifty things to injure players.
Raja is a saint compare to Bowen, I mean Bowen's tactics has a potential to injure players months... ankles, shins, knees, etc.

Raja is dirty, when he is frustrated he will give a blatant hard foul...

Horry... well he is pretty much done... he's just playing for the sake of winning more rings as a bench warmer and a HITMAN.
The guy comes in to foul and foul hard.... an affordable sacrifice...
He doesnt go for the bench players... he fouls with malicisous intent on KEY players...

Sorry... Popovic is smart.... i respect him a lot great coach... just a shame since he knows Horry's main purpose these days is to hammer hard on key players..

again YUP Raja is dirty... but not a hitman nor a shifty defender as Bowen...
I rather bowen just take a swing at someone rather than put his foot on where player land or bump knees to shin etc.. those injuries are much more serious as the player/victim is in full motion with all his weight or at full speed.... dirty.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Watch the vid again, and see how much he leaned forward that he'd have fallen on his own face without the crash. Horry made extra effort to "undercut" West.

That's how it looked to me. He definitely put more into it when he lowered his elbow into his back.

It's sad that at this stage of his "illustrious" career, Horry has been relegated to a goon, who comes off the bench, for cheap fouls.

btimsah

My Name Is Robert!
Reaction score
You guys must be the most naive basketball fans around. Do you know who were talking about here? Robert Horry and Greg Popavich. You don't think they knew West had a back injury? You don't realize that Horry was sent into game 4 last year to do the exact same thing to Steve Nash? Hit the old guy, WITH THE BAD BACK IN THE BACK*?

I'm sorry.. But were it any other team I'd give them the benefit of the doubt. But Horry hit him in the back on purpose. He's out there to do nothing but look old and "set hard fouls" on the opponents top players in hopes of getting them injured or starting a fight to get into the minds of the Hornets. He's like one of Jon Cheney's goons.

I'm sorry but with the Spurs we do have some history of this, and I have every right to question their motives.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think Raja is a dirty player, but obviously he has made some plays that are over the line. The context of his imfamous Kobe foul was that Kobe was that the refs were letting Kobe get away with some very rough play without being called and Raja finally lost his temper. Yes he was wrong and was dutifly punished, but that was an unual circumstance.

What irritates us about the dirty play of the Spurs is how bloody calculated their moves are. We're not talking about "heat of the battle" stuff, but cold blooded attempts to hurt perople.

In a sense the robotic image of the Spurs makes the incidents seem all the more calculated. The fact that they never admit that ANYTHING they have done has gone over the line (Nash just jumped into the table, just ask Horry).

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally I thought people were being a little touchy about this. However, it sure looks like Horry is deliberately giving West a shot in the back. It's definitely not in the same league as a hip check last year, I would call it a dirty move. Mean there's no doubt in my mind that he saw it as an opportunity to give West a shot in the back. And I guarantee that if the tables were turned, and it was Tim Duncan, San Antonio Spurs fans would be up in arms this morning.

Trophytown

Raja is DIRTY.
But he is not as dirty as Bowen, who does shifty things to injure players.
Raja is a saint compare to Bowen, I mean Bowen's tactics has a potential to injure players months... ankles, shins, knees, etc.

Raja is dirty, when he is frustrated he will give a blatant hard foul...

Horry... well he is pretty much done... he's just playing for the sake of winning more rings as a bench warmer and a HITMAN.
The guy comes in to foul and foul hard.... an affordable sacrifice...
He doesnt go for the bench players... he fouls with malicisous intent on KEY players...

Sorry... Popovic is smart.... i respect him a lot great coach... just a shame since he knows Horry's main purpose these days is to hammer hard on key players..

again YUP Raja is dirty... but not a hitman nor a shifty defender as Bowen...
I rather bowen just take a swing at someone rather than put his foot on where player land or bump knees to shin etc.. those injuries are much more serious as the player/victim is in full motion with all his weight or at full speed.... dirty.

Yeah, the comparison is a bad one. What Bell did as no place in basketball, but I don't think anybody believes he was trying to knock Kobe Bryant out of the game. I don't think anybody really believes that it was premeditated either. He lost his cool because he had been hit in the face by Kobe Bryant's elbows several times in that game and even more through the rest of the series.

Joe

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
nice of the spurs fans to chant "Horry, Horry, Horry" after the play.

nowagimp

Reaction score

So then since kobe is already injured, if the jazz were to say use matt harpring and target his back that would be OK? The Horry hit came when the game was over, 21 point lead, and might be the most valuable play of the series, considering west has owned the spurs in NO. OK Im good with that, if the jazz target kobes back and take him out on a legal play that couldnt possibly influence the outcome of the game, its all good.

Actually, I dont think its OK for the jazz to target kobe, its terrible sportsmanship. But you guys sound pretty ridiculous. Its not about the rules, its about sportsmanship. Horry can no lomnger contribute in any other way. The spurs fans also showed their poor sportsmanship, who woulda thought?

chickenhead

Reaction score
The variable here is that West had a bad back. I'd wager that Horry makes that same move on a healthy player, but we don't notice it because no one goes down, or maybe there's just a little pushing and shoving afterwards, and we move on.

The point is that it's a pattern of play, and the Spurs are always "giving a little extra" in that regard. The players they can't afford to foul out flop, and the role players like Horry and Bowen play this kind of game. Some may call it competitive advantage, but I don't like it.

I'm a big hockey fan, and I don't like the way Avery plays, and I have to admit the Claude Lemieux was dirty even though he helped my team win cups. Scott Stevens ended the productive portion of Lindros' career with a "clean" hit, but I didn't like it, and I was certainly no Lindros fan.

Obviously I'm even less excusing of it because I'm a lifelong Suns fan and these are Spurs, but I hope that I would feel similarly about the Suns doing such things once I took a step back.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Do you even realize how foolish a post like this makes you look? Well, except for those 4 or 5 that complain about every call of every game. That was not even semi close to a cheap shot. It was a normal physical playoff pick and west happens to have a flared up back.

You are so way off base with this one it only solidifies all the perceptions that suns fans whine too much. Time to take out the ole boy who cried wolf book again and relearn that life lesson you got when you were a toddler.

hmm, funny, but both colin cowheard and dan patrick disagree with you. they both called it borderline dirty.

what i really liked was cowherd replaying the audio so that everyone could hear the classless spurs fans. apparently the play happens and west is on the ground not moving (according the play by play announcers), the play is replayed on the big screen, and while david west remains unmoving on the floor the spurs fans begin chanting, "horry! horry! horry!" - that's just noooooo class. pathetic.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Which is why he might want to set a normal pick next time instead of going up and into his back. he most likley knew of his previous trouble there.

As far as Raja goes, I don't think anyone on the board would argue about some of his past dirty plays. Some of them were down right bad. He seems to have controlled his anger latley in that area, but I don't think it would shock anyone here if he did something again.

and that's also a consideration - raja's acts were done out of anger. they acts of passion. impulsive and stupid. he's seemingly seen that and changed his behavior.

horry's acts seem premeditated and meant to either injure or provoke. there is a world of difference imo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison