HD Direct TV + Tivo ?

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking to move to HD Direct TV and trying to sort out the morras of questions around this. A big one is Tivo and DVR and I'm having trouble finding definative answers.

I currently have Direct TV with a built in 2 channel Tivo and it all works great.

I've heard that Direct Tv's DVR sucks compared to a Tivo system but am unsure how this plays out in the HD world.

I will be gesttting a 1080p screen [that side I understand], its the optrions arounf the HD versions of Tivo and DTV I don't. So I guess my first questions are
  • Does the Direct TV DVR really suck as compared to Tivo
  • How is the HD Tivo
  • Can I use an external HD Tivo with direct TV and maintain integration

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Nidan - I hung onto my basic HD tivo DVR box for longer than I probably should of but made the switch the DTV equipment when all the additional HD channels started coming out and my box could not support them

i find them to be equal overall but definitely different

i was getting a lot of lag with my DTV Tivo - would take a long time to change channels, the list wouldn't pop up that quickly, etc - I was also unable to group programs like I could

With the new DTV HD DVR there are a lot of things I like - it seems much more responsive, I can group the programs, you can setup a season pass real easy from the guide, etc - I find it more difficult to manage my to do list and modify start times, end times etc

the thing that really bothers me though is that when I hit list it still plays in real time what is currently on my TV - this may be an advantage to some - but I watch a lot of sports and say i set up a game to record and get home in the 3rd quarter - it's running in real time on my TV - I used to just hit list and would risk no chance of catching a score - now even if i pause it and look away and hit list, the sound comes right back - i've gotten better at it, but it's happened once where i've heard the score before I could pull it from my recordings to run from the start

OP
OP
N

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you go to recordings first it is ok though ?

What I do on tivo is immediately after turning stuff on hit the button to bring up the recorded shows. Can I do same thing with DTV DVR ?

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The new DVR is faster and has some better features than the old one. I've gotten used to it and I like it.

If you want to see what you've recorded: Hit the list button

easy.

Recording shows takes a second, you put the record button to record it once, or hit it twice for a season pass.

Takes half a second, unlike Tivo.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can I fast forward through commercials ?

Yup, but they have a "slip" not a "skip" like Tivo...you get used to it...that's the other downside.

30 second slip, it makes the commercial go by in a second, but you see it fast-forwarding.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
nidan - if you turn on your TV and hit the list button - it will pop up your recorded shows, but also show the station that is on your TV as a picture in picture type deal

going through commercials is a fast forward and i'm setting up more season passes now that I just have to hit record twice to do it

it also does a good job of letting me know how much space I have, which comes into play more with the HD recordings

CardEd

Registered
Reaction score
The one thing I don't like about the HD DVR is if your watching a program ( and don't want to record it) and pause it, then switch the channel to watch something, then switchback , the original channel dosen't remain paused.

Other than that the hd dvr is great. Also if you are buying the unit from direct tv negotiate the cost. A year ago, when I bought mine, D-TV wanted to charge me $300 for the unit. I was able to get it down to $100.

Not sure what they are going for now......

OP
OP
N

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That 'slip' sounds like a royal pain, what if it is a 45 sec commercial or you forget to hit it quickly and it overruns the show.

Skipping commercials is one of the best features in in Tivo.

Can I fast forward through them ?

CardEd

Registered
Reaction score
That 'slip' sounds like a royal pain, what if it is a 45 sec commercial or you forget to hit it quickly and it overruns the show.

Skipping commercials is one of the best features in in Tivo.

Can I fast forward through them ?

It has a 30 second fwd button, I think you can hit it up to nine times. It also has a fast forward feature with four speeds

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DTV HD DVR interface isn't as good as Tivo's, IMO. It also seems slightly less responsive than my SD tivo boxes.

But, it's okay. A necessary evil (to get all of the HD channels and the local HD in the same box) is the way I look at it. As mentioned previously, the % of free space is a great feature.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I love the HR-20. It has come a long way since the original software version, too.

However I do understand some people love the Tivo, and anything not Tivo just isn't the same. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much hope of DirecTV and Tivo ever reconciling their relationship, so if you want the Mpeg-4 channels, you're stuck with DirecTV's equipment from here on out.

Other than all the new HD channels, the HR-20 can now use DirecTV-On-Demand (Beta) service if hooked up to your home network. They are currently only offering SD downloads at this time (HD is coming), but the selection is huge, with quite a variety of content. The DL speeds are pretty good, on my network, I can select the program, give it about a minute to start DL'ing and I'm good to watch. It's also considered another separate tuner, so you could also be recording 2 other "live" shows and then you can watch anything else in your list at the same time.

Another feature coming soon (few weeks hopefully) is "Remote-Booking". As I understand it, if you forget to program the 4:00pm Coyotes game and you don't get home from work until 4:30, you can log into your DirecTV account (before 4pm), access a guide and select the game, at which point your DVR will then add it to your record list. I can't wait.

So no, it is not a Tivo, but it holds its own IMO.

OP
OP
N

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have particular love for Tivo other than it just works so well, the only thing that would be better is eliminating ads altogether like Replay did. We are never going to see that again

So I can program the DVR via a web interface ?

OP
OP
N

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about universal remotes ?

I've even been contemplating the Logitec Remote

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I can program the DVR via a web interface ?

Coming soon. There is no official date, but it is in nationwide testing.

What about universal remotes ?

I've even been contemplating the Logitec Remote

Many have reported success with the Harmony (Logitech) remotes, however I have never used one. The supplied remote works very well in my setup. It controls the DVR, A/V receiver, TV, and DVD player. Its limit is 3 additional devices plus DVR obviously.

OP
OP
N

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can the DTV HDDVR output to coax and HDMI at the same time ?

Right now I replicate signal in main room to kitchen, trying to figure out how to do it in new systems.

If it will send an analog sig at same time as HDMI I'm set if not then am still looking

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can the DTV HDDVR output to coax and HDMI at the same time ?

Right now I replicate signal in main room to kitchen, trying to figure out how to do it in new systems.

If it will send an analog sig at same time as HDMI I'm set if not then am still looking

All of the outputs on the HD-DVR are active. However, I'm not sure if there is a coax output..:shrug:..I'll check when I get home. But an easy and inexpensive solution is an RF Modulator like this, or if you want more devices going to another TV, use one of these.

OP
OP
N

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I can get the coax output I'm set.

Plug hdmi into new TV next to unit and coax to kitchen as is now

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no coax output from the HR-20. :sad: You would need to use one of the inexpensive solutions linked in post #19 of this thread. I suppose you could also use an existing VCR to modulate to coax as well, if you had one still hanging around. This would have the additional benefit of recording to VHS should you ever feel the need.

Fiasco

Tyler Durden
Reaction score
Nidan:

I just swapped my HR10-250 for a HR20

1) DirecTV should give you a HR20 FOR FREE (they did for me 2 months ago)

2) The HR10-250 (DirecTV HD Tivo unit) doesn't get the new MPEG-4 HD channels\\

3) You mentioned you dump signal off to a remote TV via coax/composite video. I also do this to send signal to my bedroom. On the HR10-250 the composite out is only active if the HR10-250 resolution is set to 480i. On the HR-20 the composite out is active regardless of what resolution the unit is set to. I send signal to the remote TV using a VCR (composite cable from HR20 into VCR w/ coax out to bedroom) (always a pain to get up and go toggle the HR10-250 to 480i so the bedroom TV will work)

4) The HR10-250 is much better about HDMI (HDMI sucks) handshaking then the HR20 is. (Thanks for the DRM crap hollywood) So, you may experience temporary audio and video loss while the HDMI handshake is performed again. (Use component, it's equal signal quality anyway and no BS DRM issues).

5) The Tivo interface is the best. The HR20 interface is workable.

6) I stumbled upon a neat feature of the HR20 when watching sunday ticket. You can bring up game stat overlays while watching the games to check fantasy stats.

7) If you want to expand the HR20's capacity you can purchase an external stand alone sata drive and simply plug it into the sata port on the back of the HR20. The HR20 will ignore the internal drive and use the external drive instead. If you unplug the external sata drive the HR20 will resume using the internal drives.

8) Logitech Harmony remote---- absolutely!!!! Logitech (in my experience) has the best customer support of any company bar none. You don't even have to purchase your harmony from an authorized retailer. I purchased two Harmony 880's off of ebay. One for myself and one for the in-laws. Unfortunately, my 880 had a defective backlight and my in-laws 880 was an earlier design which had a poor fitting charging cradle. In both cases I contacted Logitech, got a response in 24 hours and they sent me two new 880's. I didn't have to provide proof of purchase. I didn't even have to send my 880's back to Logitech.... They told me to just throw them away! I also had a similar experience with my Logitech Dinovo Edge keyboard (although I did have to return my defective unit to Logitech in that case).

I'd recommend the 880 Harmony because it has a lithium ion battery and charging cradle so no batteries to mess with. After using a Harmony, simple "universal" remote controls will never seem "Good enough" again. You should be able to find a new in box 880 on ebay for a tad over $100 if your patient.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I threatened to cancel my account and they upgraded me to the MPEG4 HD DVR's. At first they tried to give me a 2 HDTV receiver for free. I told them that wasn't good enough because my old HD receiver had a DVR. They transferred me to the retention department and boom. 2 New MPEG4 HD DVR's and Free Sunday Ticket on the NFL.

Overall I am still a big huge TIVO fan. I loved my TIVO's. My first 2 DVR's were TIVO's. Then I had to switch to DTV version. At first they sucked big time but they have made alot of strides. I think my favorite option that my TIVO doesn't have is to play all shows in a give folder. So, If I want to distract my kids for awhile, I can play the entire folder versus my TIVO where I have to select each episode after it's done.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I finally got my TiVo Series 3 system hooked up with 2 Cox Cable Cards.

I really love the TiVo Series 3. The HD recordings look amazing. Plus they didn't mess with the user interface that I have grown to love. One of my favorite features on the Series 3 is the new front panel display. Now when you are recording a show, the front panel on the TiVo box displays what it is recording. It is such a great feature now that I can record two channels simultaneously. This feature has come in handy already. The other day my wife wanted me to make sure that her show was recording. All I had to do was walk up to the box and verify her show was listed on the front panel.

I also love that it accepts Cable Cards and has an HDMI output. This elminated the cable box and a ton of cables. My setup is so much cleaner now! I love it!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedzBetz