Why the NFL Draft isn’t as important as it used to be

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/...ortant-used/9Tk5GkUu82JtyBX2hItrsI/story.html
Why the NFL Draft isn’t as important as it used to be

By Ben VolinGLOBE STAFF
APRIL 18, 2018

With most teams busy trying to accumulate draft picks, the Patriots instead took a hard pass on the 2017 NFL Draft.

They traded away their first-, second-, and fifth-round picks for young players with NFL experience: Brandin Cooks, Kony Ealy, and James O’Shaughnessy. Their entire draft haul consisted of a pair of third-round picks, a fourth-rounder, and a sixth-rounder.

This year, the Rams have decided that the draft isn’t what it’s cracked up to be, either. They traded their first-round pick for Cooks, and last year they traded their 2018 second-round pick for Sammy Watkins.

The Rams built their team the expensive way, adding several big veterans through trades and free agency: Ndamukong Suh, Aqib Talib, Marcus Peters, and more. And when the draft is held next weekend, the Rams won’t be on the board until the third round, pick No. 87.

It’s a strategy that the Rams developed through experience — the hard way.

“We learned this through the RG3 trade,” vice president of football operations Kevin Demoff said in February at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference, referring to the big 2012 trade that sent the No. 2 pick, which would become Robert Griffin III, to Washington.

The Rams emerged from that deal with eight draft picks over three years, including five in the top two rounds. They were supposed to be locked and loaded with young talent, ready to take on the NFC for years to come.

Six years later, only one player is left: defensive tackle Michael Brockers, he of 19 sacks in six seasons. Left tackle Greg Robinson, a No. 2 overall pick, was a huge bust and lasted just three years. Cornerback Janoris Jenkins was allowed to walk in free agency after four years. Linebacker Alec Ogletree provided five serviceable seasons, and was just traded away to the Giants. Running back Isaiah Pead and wide receiver Stedman Bailey had their careers cut short by freak accidents. Zac Stacy and Rokevious Watkins flamed out quickly. And coach Jeff Fisher was fired after five playoff-less seasons.

The problem, the Rams found out, was that they didn’t have enough time to develop their young players, thanks to the new practice rules established by the 2011 collective bargaining agreement.

“In the new CBA, you get such limited time with players,” Demoff said. “Going really young, I think, was easier when you had more time in the offseason, more time in training camp. We had a player last year who missed all of the offseason because he didn’t graduate until late, and he had 10 practices until the preseason opener.

“It’s great to have picks, but even if you hit on them, how they develop is so much harder now. You don’t necessarily have three years to develop these guys.”

Greg Robinson, the second overall pick in 2014, lasted three years with the Rams.

The NFL Draft is still important, of course. But the reasons have changed under the new CBA. And a good case can be made that the draft just isn’t as important as it used to be.

“I still think [building through the draft] is the best way to go, but you’ve got a lot more options now, and it’s not the only way to go and the only way to win,” former Eagles president Joe Banner said.

The biggest change in today’s NFL: Time, not money, is the scarce resource.

In the pre-2011 NFL, when teams held 50-odd full-contact practices before the start of the season and salary-cap space was tight, signing expensive free agents and eschewing the draft was the quickest way to miss the playoffs (just ask the early 2000s Redskins). There was almost no debate across the league that the best method for building a roster was to draft and develop.

“There was a correlation for many years between the teams that had the most draft picks and the teams that were the most successful — Pittsburgh, the Patriots, Eagles, Ravens,” said Banner, whose team reached the playoffs 11 times between 1995-2012. “Those were the teams that were leading the draft every year.”

But the new CBA has shifted the dynamic, making veterans more valuable and rookies less so.

The biggest reason has been the reduction in practice time. Teams used to hold full-contact practices in the offseason, two-a-days during training camp, and had no limitations on full-contact practices during the regular season.

But under the new CBA, spring practices are strictly regulated with no contact, no pads, and only four hours per day at the facility. Two-a-days in training camp have been eliminated, and teams can hold only 14 padded practices throughout the entire regular season.

These restrictions are great for the players’ health and safety, but terrible for developing young players — especially those that play in college offenses that don’t translate to the NFL.

“It’s definitely a big problem,” an NFC general manager said. “It’s just a lot harder to develop players, especially if you’re starting over with a new coaching staff and trying to implement a new system.”

Teams are limited in the amount of full-contact practices they can have.

Demoff said that the Rams ran a study, and concluded that it now takes players about three years to have the same amount of practice time they would have gotten in one year under the old CBA.

Young players usually get a couple of years to prove themselves, but if they don’t make immediate contributions, teams move on quickly.

“It’s not baseball, where you have the minor leagues and then six years of service,” Demoff said. “So if you go really young, you’re not finding out until Year 3 or 4 if they’re any good, and then you’re paying market rate for them.”

The RG3 trade loaded up the Rams with young talent, but, said Demoff, “We looked at it as [we needed] a better balance. We were the youngest team in the league for four years, five years, but you have to find those veterans to plug in.”

Offensive linemen used to be the easiest and safest players to project to the NFL, but in the last five years, top-10 picks Luke Joeckel, Jonathan Cooper, Chance Warmack, Ereck Flowers, and Robinson have all been busts.

“It went from the easiest and safest pick to one where we’ve seen a lot of misses,” Banner said. “Now, does that mean things have really changed, or it’s just we’re in a down cycle at the moment? I don’t know, but there is no doubt that there are some positions in the league that had a higher batting average, and that doesn’t seem to be as true anymore.”

And the Patriots also love to flip their mid- and late-round picks — which have a lower chance of becoming NFL players — for established players. This year they got Danny Shelton, Cordarrelle Patterson, and a sixth-round pick all for a 2019 third-rounder. They traded a sixth for cornerback Jason McCourty and a seventh. They traded a seventh for linebacker Marquis Flowers.

The Patriots enter next week’s draft with five picks in the top 95, but they traded away all four of their picks in the fourth and fifth rounds.

“They’re trading a fourth-round draft pick, where you have a 15 percent chance of having a good starter coming out of the fourth round, for guys that are already established as good players,” Banner said. “How can that not be smart?”

The other big change in today’s NFL is that the league is awash in salary-cap space. The cap has consistently risen by $10 million-$12 million each year, from $123 million in 2013 to $177.2 million in 2018, thanks to an influx of TV money. And the new CBA allows teams to roll over any unused cap space to the next year (the Browns rolled over $58.9 million this year). The 49ers entered the offseason with more than $100 million in cap space, while 20 teams had $20 million in space, and 12 teams had $40 million.

So adding a veteran — or two, or five — isn’t as cost-prohibitive as it used to be. The Eagles just won the Super Bowl with free agents Alshon Jeffery, LeGarrette Blount, Chris Long, Timmy Jernigan, and Torrey Smith all playing crucial roles. Their opponents, the Patriots, also went with the veteran approach, and haven’t used a first-round pick since 2015.

And the trade market has exploded, as teams are getting wise to the Patriots’ young-veteran philosophy, and because of all the salary-cap space. There have been 21 trades this calendar year, compared with 10 through this time last year, and four in 2016. Taking on veteran contracts, or dead money to get rid of a veteran contract, isn’t a big deal anymore.

“The cap used to be so tight that teams couldn’t even contemplate taking a veteran on that was making any real money,” Banner said. “Now the huge amounts of cap room that most teams have changes both the value of veterans players making a lot of money, and draft picks.”

The draft may not be as important as it used to be, but it still carries plenty of weight. Teams can punt on the draft once or twice, but they can’t continually ignore it. The Patriots are reversing course this year and loading up with multiple picks in each of the first two rounds.

But whereas draft picks used to be counted on to be the cornerstone of a team, now they are viewed more as low-cost and fill-in-the-gap type players. The new CBA instituted a new rookie wage scale that has made most rookies tremendous values — locked in at below-market rates for four seasons.

With most starting quarterbacks now making $20-plus million, Jameis Winston has a cap number of $8.06 million this year. Trey Flowers, the Patriots’ terrific young defensive end, made about $2.1 million in his first three seasons combined, and will make $1.9 million this year.

“Long-term, you can’t balance the economics without a fair number of these younger players coming in and making a difference and playing and being less expensive,” Banner said.

But with teams awash in cap space, and young players not getting the coaching and development that they need, the importance of the draft just isn’t what it used to be.

“I’m never going to join the school that thinks trading away all your draft picks is a smart thing to do,” Banner said. “But I’m saying relative to where it was six, seven years ago, when teams desperately needed those picks to just manage their cap, those picks have lost a bit of their value. That’s the underlying change in how some teams are building their rosters.”

Ben Volin can be reached at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @BenVolin

OP
OP
moklerman

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Makes it seem to me that it pays to draft positions who can contribute right away that don't take nearly as long to develop and just sign FA's who have already been developed.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Maybe I missed it but this mostly started by trading away their 2016 first, two 2016 seconds and a third plus a 2017 first and third pick to move up and take Goff. When they hit on that pick and he got good quickly they had the payroll flexibility to start buying free agents. So saying the draft isn’t important is only half correct.

Reaction score
''Six years later, only one player is left: defensive tackle Michael Brockers, he of 19 sacks in six seasons. Left tackle Greg Robinson, a No. 2 overall pick, was a huge bust and lasted just three years. Cornerback Janoris Jenkins was allowed to walk in free agency after four years. Linebacker Alec Ogletree provided five serviceable seasons, and was just traded away to the Giants. Running back Isaiah Pead and wide receiver Stedman Bailey had their careers cut short by freak accidents. Zac Stacy and Rokevious Watkins flamed out quickly. And coach Jeff Fisher was fired after five playoff-less seasons.''

I thought only the Cards were bad at drafting? At least according to some people on here. :)

OP
OP
moklerman

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Maybe I missed it but this mostly started by trading away their 2016 first, two 2016 seconds and a third plus a 2017 first and third pick to move up and take Goff. When they hit on that pick and he got good quickly they had the payroll flexibility to start buying free agents. So saying the draft isn’t important is only half correct.
I don't think the writer is saying that the draft isn't important, just that it isn't "as" important as it used to be. I agree that the drafting approach has changed and a different type of strategy has to be employed.

If drafting a QB for example, I think you have to get one that can start playing right away or you run a high risk of developing a guy that's only going to be ready just about the time he's going to hit FA.

Of course, with rising salary caps and franchise tags maybe it really isn't an issue.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
''Six years later, only one player is left: defensive tackle Michael Brockers, he of 19 sacks in six seasons. Left tackle Greg Robinson, a No. 2 overall pick, was a huge bust and lasted just three years. Cornerback Janoris Jenkins was allowed to walk in free agency after four years. Linebacker Alec Ogletree provided five serviceable seasons, and was just traded away to the Giants. Running back Isaiah Pead and wide receiver Stedman Bailey had their careers cut short by freak accidents. Zac Stacy and Rokevious Watkins flamed out quickly. And coach Jeff Fisher was fired after five playoff-less seasons.''

I thought only the Cards were bad at drafting? At least according to some people on here. :)

I wouldn't consider being shot in the head and body multiple times a freak accident. He is lucky to be alive and he seems to be a great kid. he is trying to make a comeback now, and I for one am rooting for the kid.

PitchShifter

The other Big Red
Reaction score

Agree.

But I do think the article makes an interesting case for using the value of draft picks to trade up for the best talent. Hoarding picks like Smaug too often results in fools gold.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that very interesting article, Moklerman.

In the article two guys from the Rams and the Eagles expresses their opinion. I do think it’s imperative for their opinions that none of those teams have quarterbacks who have gotten contract extensions yet. That frees up a lot of salary cap, and that salary cap space can disappear in a second when those quarterbacks get new deals. Of course, as I have covered in other threads, it’s not a problem to work around the salary cap. It’s just that it will always come back to haunt you later.

The thing is, while it’s true that the amount of salary cap continuous to rise, the agents know this too. They also know what the market value for starting quarterbacks is. Because of those things they are demanding huge deals to their clients, and since every teams are desperate for a good quarterback, they will pay up. So not matter how much salary cap a team has, a good franchise quarterback will always take up a lot of it, and that will decrease their options of acquiring veterans. I also think we might see more quarterbacks signing short-term deals in the future, like the one Kirk Cousins signed recently, in order for the quarterbacks to maximize their value more often, and thus limit the teams even more in their hunt for veterans.

The articles also mentions the Patriots, so I should add that it is rare to see the Patriots ever giving their acquisitions new deals, maybe because it would destroy their strategy. Which, by the way, is so easy to decode that it’s pretty weird that no other teams have copied it yet if it would guarantee them success. Maybe it’s not that easy to do after all.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The articles also mentions the Patriots, so I should add that it is rare to see the Patriots ever giving their acquisitions new deals, maybe because it would destroy their strategy. Which, by the way, is so easy to decode that it’s pretty weird that no other teams have copied it yet if it would guarantee them success. Maybe it’s not that easy to do after all.

Having Tom Brady under center on a below-market contract certainly helps, I'd imagine.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
"The draft isn't as important as it used to be" the same way "RB's are less important than they used to be."

Funny how things change every few years or so.

Chainthroer

Registered
Reaction score
The Draft was a lot bigger deal when it was held on Saturday and Sunday. I used to think of "DRAFT WEEKEND" like National Holiday Weekend. Of course, I look forward to the draft now. But, it used to be a big party on Saturday, with the First, Second and Third rounds on the same day. I'd like it to revert to the way it was!

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
The Draft was a lot bigger deal when it was held on Saturday and Sunday. I used to think of "DRAFT WEEKEND" like National Holiday Weekend. Of course, I look forward to the draft now. But, it used to be a big party on Saturday, with the First, Second and Third rounds on the same day. I'd like it to revert to the way it was!

Very true, now that it’s during the week I don’t even watch considering 2 other sports have playoff games going on. At least when it was Saturday at noon I could give it a couple hours and make it a thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
This goes along with all the talk about how college and youth football doesn't translate to the pros.

Interesting to say the least, it is why I stay conservative with "trading up" yet understand why it makes more sense these days to trade up.

This is a strange time and place, to couple with a strange draft where after round 2, you guess is as good as any top paid draft analyst on who is going where.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Living close to NYC, the Draft was a very special deal because In the early years (when they held it in a hotel ballroom) we could visit it during our lunch hour.

Later on (when it was held over the weekend) we could wake up early and stand in line for 2 or 3 hours to gain entry. Friendships were made among the attendees and each draft was a glorious reunion.

That all changed when they held it over 3 days and then moved it around the country (it became too impersonal). That plus our access via a number of high tech media options made it more comfortable tuning in from home.

I still love the draft, but it's different and I miss the comeraderie.

OP
OP
moklerman

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the nature of the event is counterproductive to ratings. Whether condensed to 2 days or spread out over 4, by the end, most people have tuned out or are bored out of their mind.

If only there was a way to do it in reverse order so the #1 overall pick was the last thing you see Sunday night.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Very interesting and thought provoking article moklerman, thanks for posting it. Now GM's will have another balancing act on when to draft more and at what position and when to trade picks for young vets.

I have come to enjoy the new draft format. Yes there is too much red carpet and green room stuff but I like not having two marathon days. This year I got lucky and my rotating schedule has me off on Friday, Saturday and Sunday so I can overdose on the draft.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it hasn't already been posted, NFLHD has a live mock draft at 7 p.m. Arizona time.

It's on channel 212 on DirecTV.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found this article by Kent Somers grading the Cardinals drafts very interesting and somewhat discouraging heading into the upcoming draft.

It's well worth the read if it hasn't already been posted. It starts out this way.

Overall, however, “Keim Time” hasn’t included the three days each spring that the draft has been held.

His track record isn’t awful, and there have been a handful of brilliant moves in his five drafts. But there also have been big mistakes, and the club has yet to draft a quarterback above the fourth round since Matt Leinart in 2006.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...rafts-havent-always-been-keim-time/537391002/

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Most people should recognize that this is not new information. This is another example of some teams playing checkers and others playing chess. Like RBs, the value all depends on circumstance and market. If want to use a RB pick high in the draft, you better make sure he never comes off the field, and the market enables you to get the top one outside of the top 5 picks. If the market is high on draft picks it completely makes sense to use those to trade for devalued players who are on rookie deals. you can trade for the player, get established production, and then you can get back a pick by allowing the player to leave via free agency if he costs too much.

The Rams let Trumaine Johnson go, traded a 4th and 2nd for cheap Marcus Peters, and are scheduled to receive a 3rd round pick for Johnson next year. They saved 10+ mil, still have a top end CB, and will be able to receive another pick if they decide they don't want to commit long term to Peters.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Most people should recognize that this is not new information. This is another example of some teams playing checkers and others playing chess. Like RBs, the value all depends on circumstance and market. If want to use a RB pick high in the draft, you better make sure he never comes off the field, and the market enables you to get the top one outside of the top 5 picks. If the market is high on draft picks it completely makes sense to use those to trade for devalued players who are on rookie deals. you can trade for the player, get established production, and then you can get back a pick by allowing the player to leave via free agency if he costs too much.

No, it actually is new information. Only going back the last five full seasons, the trend is very clear. I went by the assumption that first-, second- and third round draft picks can be describes as high picks.

In the 2013 season there were 27 trades involving only draft picks for veteran players outside the draft. Four of those included high picks.

In the 2014 season there were 24 trades involving only draft picks for veteran players outside the draft. Zero of those included high picks.

In the 2015 season there were 25 trades involving only draft picks for veteran players outside the draft. One of those included high picks.

In the 2016 season there were 20 trades involving only draft picks for veteran players outside the draft. Two of those included high picks.

In the 2017 season there were 55 trades involving only draft picks for veteran players outside the draft. 11 of those included high picks.

So far in the 2018 season there has been 24 trades involving only draft picks, and the season is only a little more than a month old. Nine of those has included high picks.

The conclusion must be that there is no doubt about the trend. Teams is much more willing to give up draft picks now than they have been previously, including high picks. It obviously comes with the caveat that I have only checked the last six years, and if they did use draft picks as payment for veteran players further back, then it obviously is not new information. It is, however, still a new trend relative to the recent years.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
No, it actually is new information. Only going back the last five full seasons, the trend is very clear. I went by the assumption that first-, second- and third round draft picks can be describes as high picks.

In the 2013 season there were 27 trades involving only draft picks for veteran players outside the draft. Four of those included high picks.

In the 2014 season there were 24 trades involving only draft picks for veteran players outside the draft. Zero of those included high picks.

In the 2015 season there were 25 trades involving only draft picks for veteran players outside the draft. One of those included high picks.

In the 2016 season there were 20 trades involving only draft picks for veteran players outside the draft. Two of those included high picks.

In the 2017 season there were 55 trades involving only draft picks for veteran players outside the draft. 11 of those included high picks.

So far in the 2018 season there has been 24 trades involving only draft picks, and the season is only a little more than a month old. Nine of those has included high picks.

The conclusion must be that there is no doubt about the trend. Teams is much more willing to give up draft picks now than they have been previously, including high picks. It obviously comes with the caveat that I have only checked the last six years, and if they did use draft picks as payment for veteran players further back, then it obviously is not new information. It is, however, still a new trend relative to the recent years.
Disagree, it is old information. The change has been that teams are asking for a 2nd or 3rd round pick for the Carson Palmers of the world vs a 6th round pick which was the market a couple years ago. The market is correcting. Mid round picks are no longer enough and teams are now asking for higher picks. Also, teams are more inclined to give up high picks for top end players because that is now becoming the better trade option as the market has not corrected yet for higher profile players. Again, we are seeing some teams playing chess when it comes to the valuation of draft picks vs production of veteran players.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I agree that the draft has less importance than it did in years past. The league has been trending that way for the past thirty years.

Prior to Marcus Allen suing the league for a novel concept called "free agency"... the owners held all the rights and all the cards...players had no leverage negotiating pay increases and contracts because the owners had all the rights... after free agency started,...it was really considered to be of minimal overall effect...until the day Reggie White moved to green bay and the Packers became serious contenders again. Suddenly teams saw new possibilities in signing players who had been developed by other teams.

Football players, like most Americans...are lazy at their core....even a fat raise soon becomes not enough... like everyone else it is only a matter of time before a $5million dollar man feels like he is overworked and under compensated for his efforts.... agents argued that "any play could be his last" in order to gain more money,... then later lead lawsuits to gain more compensation for long term injuries they had already been paid for in increased contracts.

Then players started getting butt hurt because "some punk ass college kid" was coming in to their job and getting way more money than the guys who have been paying their dues for years....just like iron workers and IT guys do. So they battled for less money for the new guys so the older guys could be paid better.

which brings us to limited off season practices...they dont want to work... they want to show up at the last minute, play football, go home and cash their million dollar checks and fire up a blunt... maybe some of it is ego, these guys have been told all their lives that they are special...a super star.....so why do they need to work so hard when the awesomeness is integral?? its just a natural part of who they are...right?... so they argued "injury risk" again...too many guys get hurt in off season work so we need less work, less time in pads because its so hot, less time with contact because a guy might blow a knee or get turf toe..

The result of the league bargaining in good faith with the race horses is that there is no longer time to develop a young player and still see benefit from him before he leaves in free agency. As soon as a guy starts to actually play like a pro he becomes a free agent and the team has to account for him with the salary cap in order to keep him. Except for the very top guys...high round picks,..and sometimes not even them.

It makes it imperative that teams draft guys who can not just contribute but actually make an impact with their first few picks. It also makes it necessary for teams to dumb down their systems because they have less time to wait for young players to "get it"

Then teams look at a guy like Bill Bellichek... yes,.. he has Tom Brady and that makes a huge difference... but the Packers had Favre and Rodgers ... the packers play the draft to build their team while BillyB... he trades away his draft picks for experienced players who have already shown they can be successful.

laymans terms... the Packers are hiring guys from ITT tech while BillyB hires guys with industry experience... he doesnt have to waste time training them and converting them to "real world" because school doesnt prepare guys for the "real world"... he just gives them a time card and tells them to go to work. That is part of the reason he shows so much success with rosters filled with guys who are basically nobody

this next CBA will be interesting to watch. The current one hurt the league... teams NEED more practice time both in and out of pads..... players on the other hand...really really want to smoke weed and not get suspended for it... so I expect we will see practice time increased while the cap stays about the same...and the weed testing will quietly disappear.

increased practice time will allow teams to start developing rookies again so they gain more value from the draft

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I completely disagree with article. Draft picks are younger and cheaper than most FAs. In any sport with a salary cap or luxury tax draft picks should be treated like gold because if you draft well you can sustain success without having to worry about salary cap problems when guys enter FA, the only position you need to retain at all costs is a franchise QB if your lucky to find one. Again the KEY is you need to draft well, ARZ is in the position they are now because they have not drafted well the last 2 years with the exception of Johnson & Golden and they have lost a lot of FAs. Look at NO, PHI, MIN & ATL. They were terrible until they started drafting well. ATL & PHI went to SBs the year after having really good drafts. In most cases, after signing big contracts, player’s performance tend to decline.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I completely disagree with article. Draft picks are younger and cheaper than most FAs. In any sport with a salary cap or luxury tax draft picks should be treated like gold because if you draft well you can sustain success without having to worry about salary cap problems when guys enter FA, the only position you need to retain at all costs is a franchise QB if your lucky to find one. Again the KEY is you need to draft well, ARZ is in the position they are now because they have not drafted well the last 2 years with the exception of Johnson & Golden and they have lost a lot of FAs. Look at NO, PHI, MIN & ATL. They were terrible until they started drafting well. ATL & PHI went to SBs the year after having really good drafts. In most cases, after signing big contracts, player’s performance tend to decline.

This line of thinking is the problem. It is not one or the other, as much as it is finding the areas of opportunity in the market.

Take the Rams...the Rams had the opportunities this offseason in addressing CB.

1-re-sign Trumaine Johnson - 5yrs, 72.5 mil. 10 mil in 2018.

2-Draft a CB - complete unknown, maybe a Jaire Alexander is they had kept their 1st rounder.

3-Trade for Marcus Peters - cost is #124, a 2nd round pick in 2019 and $1.7 mil for 2018 season.

The clear best option in all of this is trading for Marcus Peters. Especially when you consider the 3rd round compensatory pick that should come back to the Rams for losing Trumaine Johnson, and the potential pick for Peters if they choose to not re-sign him.

The same argument could be made for the trade for Brandin Cooks. Cooks at 8 mil for one year has a legitimate chance to be more impactful than DJ Moore and 6.5 mil. After the season, the Rams can either re-sign Cooks or let him go to gain another 3rd round pick in 2020 to further fill the roster with cheap talent.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Disagree, it is old information. The change has been that teams are asking for a 2nd or 3rd round pick for the Carson Palmers of the world vs a 6th round pick which was the market a couple years ago. The market is correcting. Mid round picks are no longer enough and teams are now asking for higher picks. Also, teams are more inclined to give up high picks for top end players because that is now becoming the better trade option as the market has not corrected yet for higher profile players. Again, we are seeing some teams playing chess when it comes to the valuation of draft picks vs production of veteran players.

Maybe I am simply reading the article different than you, but I am pretty sure that you just exemplified the exact new information’s in your post. I think the article was about how teams are more inclined to part with high draft picks now than they were in the past. I think it’s semantics if the selling team are demanding a higher price for their players, and thus the buying teams are paying the high price, or if the buying team are offering a higher price than previous, and the selling team is more willing to let their players go because of it. The important thing is that it happens now which it didn’t in the past.

In the end of your post you even describe the new trend. You are correct in your assessment, but to me, a new trend is almost the definition of new information.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave