Grimm Hired by Cardinals as Asst HC/ OL Coach

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Loney will be let go. He will join Linehan with the Rams in St. Louis. Linehan wanted him last year when he became HC but the Cards denied the request as he had just signed a contract with the Cards.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Any corroboration? Events of the past week have led me to be somewhat nervous about single-source news - even from someone as reputable as KTAR's Calvisi.

When I see it on the official Cardinal website, I'll hoist one. (Hell! Make it two!)

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who said the Cards would wait too long and get stuck without a good staff?

Several of us, including me. I was afraid that we might not get our #1 pick.

Speaking of which, didn't Bill Parcells screw up Jackass Jones and the Cowboys by waiting so long to retire, thus depriving them of competing for best candidates?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is why this excites me the most fellas. The Steelers have been highly regarded for offensive line play and defensive production. We have gotten 2 pieces of that pie from the Steelers!!!!

:thewave:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I'm pumped about this hire. Two weeks ago I was thinking he'd be our head coach and we'd miss out on Whisenhunt. This is really the best of both worlds!

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tempe, AZ – The Arizona Cardinals Football Club today announced the hiring of RUSS GRIMM as Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line.

Grimm spent the last six seasons as an assistant with the Pittsburgh Steelers, first as offensive line coach from 2001-03 and as then Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line from 2004-06.

Prior to that, he spent 19 years with the Washington Redskins as an all-pro guard for 11 seasons (1981-91) and then as an assistant coach for eight (1992-2000). He began his coaching career as Washington’s tight ends coach from 1992-96 and coached the team’s offensive line from 1997-2000 before moving on to the Steelers.

In his career, his teams have earned four Super Bowl victories. The Redskins captured three titles (Super Bowls XVII, XXII and XXVI) during Grimm’s playing career and he earned a fourth ring as a member of the Steelers coaching staff that was victorious in Super Bowl XL a year ago.

“Obviously I know Russ very well from our time together with the Steelers and adding a coach of his caliber to the staff is tremendous,” said Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt.

Grimm began his 11-year playing career with the Redskins when they selected him in the third round of the 1981 draft out of the University of Pittsburgh. His outstanding career saw him earn four consecutive Pro Bowl selections (1983-86). A first-team selection to the NFL’s 1980s all-decade team, Grimm was a member of Washington’s renowned “Hogs” offensive line that helped the Redskins notch four Super Bowl appearances and three victories.

He was among the 10 finalists for induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2006 and is one of 17 finalists for induction this year. The 2007 class will be announced in Miami on Saturday, February 3rd, the day before Super Bowl XLI.

Grimm becomes the fifth assistant added to Whisenhunt’s coaching staff. He joins defensive backs coach Teryl Austin, linebackers coach Billy Davis, strength and conditioning coach John Lott, and special teams coach Kevin Spencer.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Several of us, including me. I was afraid that we might not get our #1 pick.

Speaking of which, didn't Bill Parcells screw up Jackass Jones and the Cowboys by waiting so long to retire, thus depriving them of competing for best candidates?
I guess that was a reasonable expection. These are the Cards we are discussing here. :)

Seems like payback for Parcells to me.

seesred

Reaction score
It is coming together. Wiz will be the Q of the coaches. He can do anything! WOW! Great get.....

GBR

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are going to be TOUGH!!!!!!

Maybe even smart and disciplined too, but damn sure TOUGH.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, if I am Grimm, I bring in my four SB rings and tell the guys, "This is what we are playing for!".

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
a pat on the back...for me!!

for those of you whom are interested...i am sure not too many...i identified russ grimm as our next head coach a long long long long time ago...so i give myself a pat on the back for coming in second...very pleased...outstanding football mind AND the runnerup to Bill Blass...er I mean Belicheck as the worst dressed coach in the league...but who cares..this ain't the Runway Show.

OP
OP
devilfan02

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Gotta resign or tag Big now, IMO. We gotta see what Grimm can do with him, even if Grimm will only be here for a year or two. I don't care if Big is moved to G or stays at LT, we gotta see if Grimm can light a fire under his huge ass.

This is, of course, if Grimm deems LD worth workin with at that price tag

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
How many penalties did the Pittsburgh O-line have last season? Inquiring minds want to know. Where did they rank? Is this hiring all hype? or will it really amount to something?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Gotta resign or tag Big now, IMO. We gotta see what Grimm can do with him, even if Grimm will only be here for a year or two. I don't care if Big is moved to G or stays at LT, we gotta see if Grimm can light a fire under his huge ass.

This is, of course, if Grimm deems LD worth workin with at that price tag

I agree 100%, if Grimm can't make Davis a consistent dominant OT then I will say nobody can. Davis shows flashes and when he is on he is the best OL on the team but he just hasn't put together a complete season yet.

I want him back because there is nobody out there as good or better to replace him but I'd sign him for the 1 year franchise tag and make him Grimms personal project.