The Departed

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very good movie. Not up there with Goodfellas or Raging Bull IMO. Seemed a bit too long at times. Too much of Costello's informant's activities were out in the open. It seemed like he would have been easy to catch if they really wanted to.

DiCaprio was excellent, as was Nicholson. Damon's performance really stood out because of the complexity he gave his character.

I really don't see The Departed winning Best Picture though.

I'm with Renz for the most part on this one overall. There's no way that this movie comes WITHIN A MILE of his classics (Goodfellas, Raging Bull and Taxi Driver), but it was definitely the most entertaining movie of the year so far. Didn't feel length problems or feel like Costello was too out in the open, but there was just SOMETHING missing from it.

Very good movie - very good movie and I was happy when I walked out of the theater, but Chap, I'd temper your enthusiasm if you're expecting a movie commensurate with those reviews that put it up there with the Holy Trifecta.

Hell, I was more impressed with The Aviator - thought there was more depth to that movie, but this was just the best slick hollywood popcorn cop movie I've seen in a long time and that's an impressive feat in of itself.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
also - as far as Best Pic noms - even without seeing these movies and having already seen The Departed, my guess is: The Good German, Babel, Flags of our Fathers, Flight 93 and of course... ROCKY BALBOA!

Last edited:

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
I'm with Renz for the most part on this one overall. There's no way that this movie comes WITHIN A MILE of his classics (Goodfellas, Raging Bull and Taxi Driver), but it was definitely the most entertaining movie of the year so far. Didn't feel length problems or feel like Costello was too out in the open, but there was just SOMETHING missing from it.

Very good movie - very good movie and I was happy when I walked out of the theater, but Chap, I'd temper your enthusiasm if you're expecting a movie commensurate with those reviews that put it up there with the Holy Trifecta.

Hell, I was more impressed with The Aviator - thought there was more depth to that movie, but this was just the best slick hollywood popcorn cop movie I've seen in a long time and that's an impressive feat in of itself.
I've been thinking about it and I think what was missing, for me anyway, was The Departed just didn't have the realism of the three movies you mentioned. It seemed too over-the-top at times.

***POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

I also felt that the love triangle seemed contrived. The two rats sleeping with the same woman just didn't work for me.

Some of the dialogue seemed off to me as well. When Sheen's character is attempting to get DiCaprio to work undercover he says, "Do it for me". That was weird. He just met the guy, why would he work a dangerous undercover assignment for someone he didn't even know?

Also, towards the end when the police were celebrating and the secretary hands Damon the glass he says, "Thank you" and she says, "No, thank you." In how many movies has that cheesy exchange been uttered? I was half expecting a laughtrack at that point.

Just little things like that kept it from reaching the level of Scorsese's best IMO. Like Scott said, very entertaining, but doesn't quite live up to expectations.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and of course... ROCKY BALBOA!

What a stupid freaking movie. Seriously...why are they making this tripe? I know you are joking, but the only way this movie would be remotely watchable is if Rocky gets his ass thoroughly pounded until he dies in the ring. Stupidest idea ever, yet tons of people will go watch it. Masses of asses.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a stupid freaking movie. Seriously...why are they making this tripe? I know you are joking, but the only way this movie would be remotely watchable is if Rocky gets his ass thoroughly pounded until he dies in the ring. Stupidest idea ever, yet tons of people will go watch it. Masses of asses.

no one's going to go see that movie unless they're going for a joke. it's gonna be DOA the second it hits the theaters, just like Rocky V.

I'll be there, smashed, opening day.

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
****Some what of a spoiler*****

I liked this movie but as mentioned before some of the lines were a little cheesy. Some lines were awesome though too.

I like this as much as the original due to the of the funny lines but it also seemed to miss a lot of what the original had. In that movie the rats seemed to truley respect each other and to like each other on a certain level. They even ran into each other earlier in the movie. I didn't get that feeling in this one.

Also, something that really bugged me about the movie was Damon's character getting that really nice apartment building. Obviously he couldn't afford that on his salary. Then he gets picked to find the rat? Don't you think they would do a background check on him? The first thing that comes up on those background checks is seeing spending habits out of the ordinary.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
bump - Chap, you seen this yet?

My movie is taking up all my time (and the new job), so I haven't seen anything. I was hoping that they'd show The Departed for free at Steven J. Ross, but it looks like that won't happen.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw this movie last night.

LOVED it.

I am not a Leo DiCaprio fan by any means, but DAMN he was hot in this film.

I really like Mark Wahlberg as an actor - especially when he's a cussing, abrasive alpha male type character. Matt Damon did a great job, too.

Overall, I really liked it. I might even have to get it on DVD once it comes out.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warner Bros. Pictures is planning to re-release the award-winning crime drama The Departed on Friday, January 26, 2006, in more than 1,300 theatres nationwide. The announcement was made today by Dan Fellman, President of Domestic Distribution, Warner Bros. Pictures.

:cool:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Finally caught it in the theaters last night.

Brilliant movie with a definite "HOLY S***" moment at the end. Definitely deserves to be amongst Raging Bull, Taxi Driver, Goodfellas and Last Temptation of Christ as Scorsese's best.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally caught it in the theaters last night.

Brilliant movie with a definite "HOLY S***" moment at the end. Definitely deserves to be amongst Raging Bull, Taxi Driver, Goodfellas and Last Temptation of Christ as Scorsese's best.

It will get him a much deserved Oscar.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Probably one of the best movies I have ever seen. Simply amazing and the last ten minutes is what makes it one of the best endings in any movie EVER! Plus it was filmed in Boston which is the greatest city in America!

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably one of the best movies I have ever seen. Simply amazing and the last ten minutes is what makes it one of the best endings in any movie EVER! Plus it was filmed in Boston which is the greatest city in America!

You had me up to the last sentence. ;)

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best Supporting Actor, Best Picture, Best Director.

Those are surefire noms.

Nominated for those three italicized, won the bolds. Also won best adapted screenplay and editing(?) .

Awesome!

Last edited:

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I watched this last night. Wow, great great movie. All the awards were definitely well deserved.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am planning on watching the original trilogy before watching this movie. I am still mad at Chaplin for getting that boxset last year. I plan on spending the $40 or so it will cost me to have the original Cantonese track, with 6.1 DTS.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I am planning on watching the original trilogy before watching this movie. I am still mad at Chaplin for getting that boxset last year. I plan on spending the $40 or so it will cost me to have the original Cantonese track, with 6.1 DTS.

It's a pretty good set, although I can't find it anywhere online. I wonder if it's a bootleg, although the quality doesn't bear that out.

Skratchy_Seal

Registered
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a pretty good set, although I can't find it anywhere online. I wonder if it's a bootleg, although the quality doesn't bear that out.

hkflix.com is where I bought that set that Chaplin has. It's the one that comes in the silver tin box, which I did not send to him for shipping purposes. According to them, it's out of print.

I buy almost all of my Chinese movies from dddhouse.com. They're located in HK, but they're cheaper...even with the shipping included. The site looks a bit odd, but I bought movies like Shaolin Soccer and Hero from there, and they are good with returns.