The Departed (AKA Infernal Affairs)

The Departed

Release Date: TBA 2006
Studio: Warner Bros. Pictures
Director: Martin Scorsese
Screenwriter: William Monahan
Genre: Crime, Thriller

Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Mark Wahlberg, Jack Nicholson

Plot Summary: Based on the Chinese-language Hong Kong gangster film "Wu jian dao" (Infernal Affairs), The Departed will be reset in Boston amid Irish-American mobsters and the cops who are their nemeses. The film was written by William Monahan. Damon would play a gangster who has infiltrated the Boston police department as part of its cadet class and has been steadily rising through the ranks. DiCaprio will play a cop who's been deep undercover inside the mob and is starting to come unglued. Each side works feverishly to flush the mole out, with deadly consequences.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone seen Infernal Affairs? It was released here in the States on December 7th.

Looks like the American version has a lot going for it. Great director and strong cast so far.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Variety says Nicholson will play an Irish gang boss. Also - a female co-star to play a cop psychiatrist has yet to be chosen.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
'The Departed' is set in South Boston, where the state police force is waging war on organized crime. Young undercover cop Billy Costigan (Leonardo DiCaprio) is assigned to infiltrate the mob syndicate run by gangland chief Costello (Jack Nicholson). While Billy is quickly gaining Costello's confidence, Colin Sullivan (Matt Damon), a hardened young criminal who has infiltrated the police department as an informer for the syndicate, is rising to a position of power in the Special Investigation Unit. Each man becomes deeply consumed by his double life, gathering information about the plans and counter-plans of the operations he has penetrated. But when it becomes clear to both the gangsters and the police that there's a mole in their midst, Billy and Colin are suddenly in danger of being caught and exposed to the enemy -- and each must race to uncover the identity of the other man in time to save himself.

Also Known As: Infernal Affairs

Production Status: In Production/Awaiting Release

Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Crime/Gangster and Remake

Release Date: October 6th, 2006 (wide)

MPAA Rating: R for strong brutal violence, pervasive language, some strong sexual content and drug material.

Distributors: Warner Bros. Pictures Distribution

Production Co.: Hollywood Gang Productions, Cappa Productions, Plan B, Vertigo Entertainment

Studios: Warner Bros. Pictures, Inc.

Filming Locations: Boston, Massachusetts, USA
New York, New York USA
Quincy, Massachusetts, USA

Produced in: United States

I just saw some previews for this. It looks very cool.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to see the Internal Affairs trilogy. Those films are considered the "Chinese Godfather".

Last edited:

se7en

Go SUNS Go
Reaction score
I can’t believe no one is talking about this film. It comes out this Friday and should be one of the better films to come out in what has been a rather dull past couple of months for movies.

I’m just bummed that it won’t be showing at my favorite theater, http://www.arclightcinemas.com/

In fact, I can only find one theater in my area listing it for this weekend – Universal CityWalk.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am completely stoked about the film. I want to see the original trilogy before I see this movie.

The OOP boxset from Asia fetches $200 on eBay and other places. I want to watch it, but I cant afford that much dough right now.

Leo, Jack, Matt = acting gold.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
The previews look really good. Even Leo looks like he’s bulked up a bit for it.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
Plus Kevin Smith/Roeper gave them:thumbup: :thumbup: .

Smith actually said it was Damon's and Leo's best performances of their careers.

This will be the first movie my wife and I make a trip to the valley to see since Little Miss Sunshine was released in early August.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know I'm getting too excited for this movie - Scorcese at his best is the greatest director alive today - if this is, as people are syaing, work akin to Goodfellas, this will be the best movie in half a decade. Like I said, I'm getting WAYYYY too excited for this movie - the Aviator was a nice rebound from that piece of crap Gangs of New York, but I want to see a masterpiece.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I know I'm getting too excited for this movie - Scorcese at his best is the greatest director alive today - if this is, as people are syaing, work akin to Goodfellas, this will be the best movie in half a decade. Like I said, I'm getting WAYYYY too excited for this movie - the Aviator was a nice rebound from that piece of crap Gangs of New York, but I want to see a masterpiece.

A review on reelviews.net (the best movie review site on the net) says that The Departed belongs with Raging Bull, Taxi Driver and Goodfellas as Scorsese's best ever.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
A review on reelviews.net (the best movie review site on the net) says that The Departed belongs with Raging Bull, Taxi Driver and Goodfellas as Scorsese's best ever.

Wow, those 3 are probably all in my top 20. I might have to venture out to the theater for this one.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

boy that worries me - too much hype - those are three of the best movies of all time. I have a hard time believing I'm going to see one of the best movies of all time this weekend. but that's good, i'd rather go in with expectations pulled back and be blown away than go in with super high expectations and have them fall short.

Skratchy_Seal

Registered
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have two boxsets of the Infernal Affairs trilogy. Infernal Affairs 1 is one of my fave movies. I bought the first movie about 3 years ago, and my PS2 tore it up. Sony gave me money to replace it, and I bought the trilogy boxset. The movie was dubbed in Mandarin(I speak Cantonese), so I bought another boxset with the original audio in it. I really really want to see the American version this Friday. I expect it to be very good, though I will probably be partial to the original movies.

I think I will give away my first boxset. It's just collecting dust. I'll pay the shipping. I doubt the English speakers would mind that it's one foreign language dubbed over another one. They do have English subtitles. Just be the first person to post a reply saying you want it, and it's yours. I won't be able to go to the post office until Friday. I'm only doing this because people on here have sent me stuff. It's only fair I return the favor.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I have two boxsets of the Infernal Affairs trilogy. Infernal Affairs 1 is one of my fave movies. I bought the first movie about 3 years ago, and my PS2 tore it up. Sony gave me money to replace it, and I bought the trilogy boxset. The movie was dubbed in Mandarin(I speak Cantonese), so I bought another boxset with the original audio in it. I really really want to see the American version this Friday. I expect it to be very good, though I will probably be partial to the original movies.

I think I will give away my first boxset. It's just collecting dust. I'll pay the shipping. I doubt the English speakers would mind that it's one foreign language dubbed over another one. They do have English subtitles. Just be the first person to post a reply saying you want it, and it's yours. I won't be able to go to the post office until Friday. I'm only doing this because people on here have sent me stuff. It's only fair I return the favor.

I just PMed you. :D

Skratchy_Seal

Registered
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am completely stoked about the film. I want to see the original trilogy before I see this movie.

The OOP boxset from Asia fetches $200 on eBay and other places. I want to watch it, but I cant afford that much dough right now.

Leo, Jack, Matt = acting gold.

The box set that I recently bought was $48.95 USD which already has the shipping included. It's a brand new 6-disc set. It's one movie disc and one special features disc for each movie. The one I'm sending Chaplin is a 4-disc set, which is the three movies and one special features disc. I always buy my Chinese movies from one of two places online, and they are not bootlegs like they might be on eBay.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate you Chaplin, just so you know.

:(

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Saw it this afternoon and it was great. Even though it was two and a half hours long, it did not feel that long. The acting was great and I have a feeling a few academy awards will be won from this movie. Also, just a warning, this movie is very violent.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson