Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DiCaprio to Play Theodore Roosevelt
Source: Variety
September 12, 2005

Paramount Pictures has optioned the Pulitzer Prize-winning Edmund Morris book The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt and will develop it for Martin Scorsese to direct and Leonardo DiCaprio to star as the 26th U.S. president, reports Variety. Nicholas Meyer (The Human Stain) is writing the script.

The film will chronicle the formative years of Roosevelt as he reinvented himself from a slight and privileged New York politician with a Harvard degree to the burly commander of the Rough Riders, a track that would lead him to the New York governorship, the vice presidency and the White House, when William McKinley was assassinated.

DiCaprio and Scorsese are in the midst of their third film together, The Departed, the Warner Bros. remake of the Hong Kong crime drama Infernal Affairs. The duo also made Gangs of New York and The Aviator together.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Stout said:
:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

This has got to be a joke, right?

I assume you're laughing at the DiCaprio casting, right? Otherwise, I don't see much that's funny about this one. :shrug:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
I assume you're laughing at the DiCaprio casting, right? Otherwise, I don't see much that's funny about this one. :shrug:

Yes. Otherwise, I'd be all for the movie. Talk about gross miscasting, however...wow!

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm all for it. Leo is a fantastic actor and he will most likely make you eat your words.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is Wilford Brimley too old already? He was born for this role.

You must be registered for see images attach

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wilford was also born looking too old.

Leo's performance in Aviator gives me a slight hope for this movie.

Stout

Reaction score
I'm all for it. Leo is a fantastic actor and he will most likely make you eat your words.

I'm not, and I seriously doubt it. Good and even great actors get miscast all the time. Leo sucked in the Beach and Gangs of New York. He was great in R and J and Departed. I've heard he was great in Gilbert Grape and Aviator. I still don't think he's right for the part. Not even a little bit.

Hey, I've seen Tom Cruise do some amazing acting jobs, but it's clear he was miscast in Valkyrie. It happens. Don't worry, I'm not hating too much on you wittle golden boy DiCraprio.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not, and I seriously doubt it. Good and even great actors get miscast all the time. Leo sucked in the Beach and Gangs of New York. He was great in R and J and Departed. I've heard he was great in Gilbert Grape and Aviator. I still don't think he's right for the part. Not even a little bit.

Hey, I've seen Tom Cruise do some amazing acting jobs, but it's clear he was miscast in Valkyrie. It happens. Don't worry, I'm not hating too much on you wittle golden boy DiCraprio.

lol

I didn't see the Beach.

I haven't seen Blood Diamond, but heard he is incredible in that. My father in law said his performance in that blew away his Departed role. I didn't like the way he came across in the trailers for that movie, but I trust my father-in-law's judgement in movies...he has good taste.

He was fine in Gangs, but whats her face was terrible.

Gilbert Grape...amazing performance. But, it's "easy" to play mentally challenged so they say.

Basketball diaries, very good.

The guy is a damn good actor...a lot of people hate on him because of Titanic, and not because he was bad in it but because of Titanic in general.

He was also very good in Catch me if you can. I thought he was mistyped for that, but he nailed it.

Great job in Aviator. The seclusion scenes were top notch.

I personally think he's the best "major" actor in Hollywood, and has incredible range.

He'll be awesome in this movie...he just rolled over and told me to tell you that, btw. And that he hopes your words taste like sunshine and roses when you gobble them up in 2010.

If this was older Teddy, then yes, it would be a horrid miscast. This is young Teddy. I think he'll nail it. Scorsese loves him, and will direct him well.

Stout

Reaction score
lol

I didn't see the Beach.

I haven't seen Blood Diamond, but heard he is incredible in that. My father in law said his performance in that blew away his Departed role. I didn't like the way he came across in the trailers for that movie, but I trust my father-in-law's judgement in movies...he has good taste.

He was fine in Gangs, but whats her face was terrible.

Gilbert Grape...amazing performance. But, it's "easy" to play mentally challenged so they say.

Basketball diaries, very good.

The guy is a damn good actor...a lot of people hate on him because of Titanic, and not because he was bad in it but because of Titanic in general.

He was also very good in Catch me if you can. I thought he was mistyped for that, but he nailed it.

Great job in Aviator. The seclusion scenes were top notch.

I personally think he's the best "major" actor in Hollywood, and has incredible range.

He'll be awesome in this movie...he just rolled over and told me to tell you that, btw. And that he hopes your words taste like sunshine and roses when you gobble them up in 2010.

If this was older Teddy, then yes, it would be a horrid miscast. This is young Teddy. I think he'll nail it. Scorsese loves him, and will direct him well.

Scorcese loves him, and in my opinion would cast him no matter what, which is the problem. I think if Scorcese was doing a film featuring the life of Ghengis Khan, he'd still cast Leo.