The Departed

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I went in with very high expectations and the movie surpassed them.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great freaking movie. Is this the one that gets Martin Lucci his first Best Director Oscar?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are some very funny parts, and some very shocking parts, and some very awesome parts.

Love....this movie.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This movie was freaking amazing...right up there with Heat...

Brilliant...

Kolo

Reaction score
Great freaking movie. Is this the one that gets Martin Lucci his first Best Director Oscar?

Kevin Costner and Dances With Wolves beating out Scorcese and Goodfellas was a travesty, at least to the extent an Oscar really means anything.

EDIT: and didn't Warren Beaty win for Reds over Scorcese for Raging Bull?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Kevin Costner and Dances With Wolves beating out Scorcese and Goodfellas was a travesty, at least to the extent an Oscar really means anything.

EDIT: and didn't Warren Beaty win for Reds over Scorcese for Raging Bull?

Goodfellas was a spectacular movie, but Dances With Wolves isn't exactly Ace Ventura.

I think both those films had a pretty even chance of winning that year.

As for Raging Bull, I think that's Scorsese's biggest snub of his career.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
This movie was freaking amazing...right up there with Heat...

Brilliant...

Agreed.

Leo's performance is one of the best acting jobs I've seen in awhile.

Most of it comes through in his body language and facial expressions. Especially his eyes.

This movie got very intense and stayed that way until the end.

Spectacular.

I'm guessing Damon and Leo are favs for Oscar noms. Scorcese will get nominated. Jack has an outside shot as well. Though Marky Mark's strong performance will go overlooked because of the powerhouse acting.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Very good movie. Not up there with Goodfellas or Raging Bull IMO. Seemed a bit too long at times. Too much of Costello's informant's activities were out in the open. It seemed like he would have been easy to catch if they really wanted to.

DiCaprio was excellent, as was Nicholson. Damon's performance really stood out because of the complexity he gave his character.

I really don't see The Departed winning Best Picture though.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Very good movie. Not up there with Goodfellas or Raging Bull IMO. Seemed a bit too long at times. Too much of Costello's informant's activities were out in the open. It seemed like he would have been easy to catch if they really wanted to.

DiCaprio was excellent, as was Nicholson. Damon's performance really stood out because of the complexity he gave his character.

I really don't see The Departed winning Best Picture though.

Do you see any competition for it yet? From what I understand, out of all the films that have been in general release this year, The Departed might be at the head of the pack.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Three days later and I am still saying "Man, that was a good movie!".

I dont think it gets a Best Picture nom, but maybe Director, lead actor (Leo) and supporting actor (Jack).

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best Lead Actor, Best Supporting Actor, Best Picture, Best Director.

Those are surefire noms.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
For those of you that don't think it will get a Best Picture nom, is there any film that's been released so far this year that you think would get a nom over this one? (The only one I can even name off the top of my head is Little Miss Sunshine)

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those of you that don't think it will get a Best Picture nom, is there any film that's been released so far this year that you think would get a nom over this one? (The only one I can even name off the top of my head is Little Miss Sunshine)

I guess I hadnt looked into it too much. It usually seems the heavy Oscar favs usually come out in Oct, Nov, Dec. I guess I was banking on the heavy hitters having not come out yet.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I guess I hadnt looked into it too much. It usually seems the heavy Oscar favs usually come out in Oct, Nov, Dec. I guess I was banking on the heavy hitters having not come out yet.

But then you have to remember that this year's Best Picture winner was a May release, so... :D

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I liked Thank You For Smoking, but I doubt that gets a nod...but it was really good.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Flags of our Fathers movie looks like one that could grab some noms, just from first blush of it.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Flags of our Fathers movie looks like one that could grab some noms, just from first blush of it.

I thought the same thing. Good enough to get nods, but not good enough to win most of the major catagories.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you watch it?

nope - I'm feeling Chap's pain - this and The Fountain are the two movies I've been waiting years for and something keeps keeping me and my Scorcese posse from seeing it - trying again tomorrow night.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
nope - I'm feeling Chap's pain - this and The Fountain are the two movies I've been waiting years for and something keeps keeping me and my Scorcese posse from seeing it - trying again tomorrow night.

I know people that saw The Fountain in Toronto and they said it was awful. Most disappointing film of the year, according to them. They also saw Pan's Labyrinth and thought it was great.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know people that saw The Fountain in Toronto and they said it was awful. Most disappointing film of the year, according to them. They also saw Pan's Labyrinth and thought it was great.

yeah, I've heard it's a love it or hate it film. Stoked to see Pan's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard