Zero Appeal

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Originally posted by green machine
I still don't like the comments on Bidwill not caring if we win or lose. I think he wants to win more then anyone, but he is not sure how. Every time he gives someone too much power it backfires on him. Last year when we were doing well there were shots of McGinnis with his arms around Bidwill with Bidwill having a huge smile on his face. You can say he's a fool if you want, but I do think he cares about winning.

adam

Sure Bidwill wants to win. The problem is he does not know how to delegate responsibility and select people who know their job and give them the authority to do it. Any business will fail the way he has run the Cardinals. If he did not have revenue sharing he would have gone belly up years ago. for many years the Cardinals have been considered one of the worst run professional sports franchise in pro sports. 50 plus years of bad history under one owner is not just a run of bad luck. it takes more than wanting to win to be a winner. it takes smarts. we are stuck with him but let us put the blame directly where it belongs and not on bad luck or any of the long line of coaches or GM's who have marched through here.

Houdini

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by green machine
Why should we expect someone to go into debt? What if it fails, the players get hurt or something and the team doesn't draw many fans? I don't think he should have to go in debt, and I think that is unfair of us to ask.

adam

I agree we shouldn't expect Bidwill to go into debt to field a winning team, but I see no reason why he can't sell a portion of the team to bring in additional investors and money. Jerry C. doesn't own the Dbacks, but he helped bring in additional investors when they needed more money. Bidwill could then still own the majority of the team, but sell a portion of it to some investors with fat wallets to help pay the bills. He should then hire someone like Ron Wolf to run the darn thing so someone with credibilty and a proven record can attract free agents and build a decent team.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Houdini
I agree we shouldn't expect Bidwill to go into debt to field a winning team, but I see no reason why he can't sell a portion of the team to bring in additional investors and money. Jerry C. doesn't own the Dbacks, but he helped bring in additional investors when they needed more money. Bidwill could then still own the majority of the team, but sell a portion of it to some investors with fat wallets to help pay the bills. He should then hire someone like Ron Wolf to run the darn thing so someone with credibilty and a proven record can attract free agents and build a decent team.

This wont help you have a hardline salary cap in football so it doesnt matter how much money you have you still have to stay within the parameters of the salary cap. That was not the case in baseball and Jerry C could just load up investors and go buy a chamionship!

Howevor Bidwill could do vanilla contracts like many teams and then just cut players when it comes time but as we can see by many teams spending sprees it works far less than it is successful!

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shane H
That was not the case in baseball and Jerry C could just load up investors and go buy a chamionship!

And the rest of the sports world rumbled about this very thing.

It was said that Jerry wore 2 different hats.

In basketball he wanted strict salary guidelines and preached fiscal responsibility.

In baseball - anything goes! Open up the banks and let's get a title.

In his own words, Jerry has said he has always been a "baseball guy" and that basketball allowed him to eventually play a part in getting involved in baseball.

That's likely why he broke the bank in one sport while complaining about the same exact issue in the other...

Houdini

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shane H
This wont help you have a hardline salary cap in football so it doesnt matter how much money you have you still have to stay within the parameters of the salary cap. That was not the case in baseball and Jerry C could just load up investors and go buy a chamionship!

Howevor Bidwill could do vanilla contracts like many teams and then just cut players when it comes time but as we can see by many teams spending sprees it works far less than it is successful!

I agree with your point how baseball doesn't have a hard salary cap like football does so they can spend an unlimited amount to get good players, but so many people tell me that the Bidwills can't compete with other NFL teams because they are a mom and pop operation without the revenue sources other organizatoins have. I'm just saying if that is the problem, they could sell a portion of the team to investors to get more money. And the one thing that might lure Ron Wolf out of retirement is part ownership in a team which Green Bay couldn't offer him. If I was Bidwill, I'd offer that to Wolf to lure him to run the team. He turned around one losing franchise. There is no reason why he couldn't do it for the Cardinals. Bidwill has to give a competent football man 100% control for this franchise to ever turn around. He did it with Buddy Ryan and it didn't work out. But just because he hired the wrong guy in Ryan doesn't mean it was the wrong method. He needs go that route again and find the right guy.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with your point how baseball doesn't have a hard salary cap like football does so they can spend an unlimited amount to get good players, but so many people tell me that the Bidwills can't compete with other NFL teams because they are a mom and pop operation without the revenue sources other organizatoins have. I'm just saying if that is the problem, they could sell a portion of the team to investors to get more money. And the one thing that might lure Ron Wolf out of retirement is part ownership in a team which Green Bay couldn't offer him. If I was Bidwill, I'd offer that to Wolf to lure him to run the team. He turned around one losing franchise. There is no reason why he couldn't do it for the Cardinals. Bidwill has to give a competent football man 100% control for this franchise to ever turn around. He did it with Buddy Ryan and it didn't work out. But just because he hired the wrong guy in Ryan doesn't mean it was the wrong method. He needs go that route again and find the right guy.

Hey I would have no problem having Wolf run this team he is a true talented mastermind at building an organization IMO. He is what made GB not that overated fat boy named Mike Holmgren!

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bidwill has to give a competent football man 100% control for this franchise to ever turn around. He did it with Buddy Ryan and it didn't work out. But just because he hired the wrong guy in Ryan doesn't mean it was the wrong method. He needs go that route again and find the right guy.

EXACTLY.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

businesses go into debt each and every day. that is the way of growing a business. stock is debt, bonds are debt, as well a bank loans. probably 90% of all business start off in debt and remain in debt as they grow. hell yes I expect the Cardinals to go into debt if that is what they need to do to win. i sure do not expect Bidwill to sit back with his free tv revenues and eat ice cream and go richer while the team continues to take fan money. unless we are born rich we all go into debt if we want to own a home, buy a car, get married. why should I expect any less of Bidwill if we as fans give him the money to live his lifestyle. i expect Bidwill is putting the people in the area where the stadium is being built to go into debt to build the stadium. the way this team is going I am surprised they do not pull the offer and forget the stadium. we have only been around longer than any other NFL team and are worth less than the newest NFL team. A teams worth is based on revenue stream and we are bottom dog on this ladder.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I won't go into Bidwill's faults because they are well documented and would create an incredibly long post.

So my solution to this mess we are in is simple:

Offer Colvin a 5 year contract with a 5 mil signing bonus. Then make the 1st year of the contract worth another 8 to 10 mil in salary. Since the 1st year of any contract would be considered as guarenteed money then in essence his up front money would be worth 13 to 15 mil. Yes the cap hit would be huge for the 1st year but that' all the Cards have going for them at this point, a ton of cap space. This not only solves the Bidwill doesn't have enough money for bonuses argument but also makes the contract very cap friendly in the upcoming years. Yes this team needs some depth but more importantly they need to change the perception of this team and that starts by getting some quality FA's signed.

Next do the same thing with Blake, of course for less money.

Then get one of the top DE FA still available.

Then a FB or S.

This will help use up the cap space available this year, a must anyway, but also give this team an infusion of talent that will be very cap friendly after this year.

Few teams find themselves in the position the Cards are in now, tons of cap space and no one willing to take any of this money, so this is how to turn it into a positive. Teams pay huge bonuses to attract top talent because they don't have the cap space to pay it out in salaries and players want guarenteed money. My scenario is actually better for the Cards while taking care of the players concerns.

If the Cards can only get 3 to 4 FA's then at least they will be some of the best talent available this year and we all know the Cards need an infusion of talent.

The same thing, to a point, can be done for:

Barrett
Thompson
Shelton
Jenkins
Wilson
etc.

Instead of this offseason being a disaster it could actually be the most productive ever. Think outside the box and get this thing going!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave