Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s just speeding, stout.

It very easily could have turned into a deadly crash with a pedestrian or another vehicle. There are reasons for that area being a 35 MPH zone. That's why you get cuffed and taken in for that offense instead of released with just a speeding ticket.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It very easily could have turned into a deadly crash with a pedestrian or another vehicle. There are reasons for that area being a 35 MPH zone. That's why you get cuffed and taken in for that offense instead of released with just a speeding ticket.
You obviously didn’t get my sarcasm from the context of my other posts.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
In Italy if u exceed the speed limit by wide margin (like collins did) u get a ticket about 1500 till 3500 euros and likely license suspended indefinitely and u may need to make the driving exams again

In Arizona, different laws are classified as misdemeanor or felonies, with different classes of each (different fines and lengths of incarceration, depending). Traffic laws-such as speeding, running a red light, etc- can carry different penalties, including points on your drivers license. Speeding is typically 2 or 3 points on your license (can maybe get 2 or 3 tickets before your license is suspended). DUI and Reckless Driving, both are 8 point violations, I think. 8 points is the maximum you are allowed before your right to drive in Arizona is suspended.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The more I've thought about this today, the more I want him to be punished. 76 in a 35?? 35 zones are residential areas, neighborhoods and stuff. Imagine some idiot tearing down your street at 76MPH! He could have easily killed a kid, or a dog, or just lost control and crashed into someone's property.

Collins has the money to go buy an F1 car and drive it to his hearts content! He can go buy a V12 McClarin and open it up on the way to vegas...speeding tickets be damned!

What he 100% didn't need to do is drive through a residential area putting people at risk because he thinks its fun. All we heard about was this guys leadership, maturity, and discipline. I really hope he takes it upon himself to make this situation right. It's not a good look.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The more I've thought about this today, the more I want him to be punished. 76 in a 35?? 35 zones are residential areas, neighborhoods and stuff. Imagine some idiot tearing down your street at 76MPH! He could have easily killed a kid, or a dog, or just lost control and crashed into someone's property.

Collins has the money to go buy an F1 car and drive it to his hearts content! He can go buy a V12 McClarin and open it up on the way to vegas...speeding tickets be damned!

What he 100% didn't need to do is drive through a residential area putting people at risk because he thinks its fun. All we heard about was this guys leadership, maturity, and discipline. I really hope he takes it upon himself to make this situation right. It's not a good look.

Not to excuse him, but Chaparral really should be 45 MPH on that stretch if they were consistent with other local streets of the same type. East of Scottsdale Road it is 4 lanes, and all other similar roads (as well as other stretches of Chaparral) are 45 MPH.

I would guarantee that most drivers are doing 45-55 on that stretch.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There’s a difference between going 5 mph over the speed limit and going 5 mph over DOUBLE the speed limit. Trying to lessen the severity of the action thusly is frankly disingenuous and sort of disgusting.

If there was anyone here I'd have to put money on simultaneously clutching their pearls and getting on their high horse it's Ouchie.

I'm sure you're also one of those piling on Billy Ailish for a song she sang when 13.

A 22 year old country boy sped on a wide straight road in an area he hardly knows. It was stupid and not unexpected. End of story.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Not to excuse him, but Chaparral really should be 45 MPH on that stretch if they were consistent with other local streets of the same type. East of Scottsdale Road it is 4 lanes, and all other similar roads (as well as other stretches of Chaparral) are 45 MPH.

Ok....if its 4 lanes its better...but not great. I guess I was picturing him going through a subdivision.

Still Zaven...just be the leader we hoped you were and do something to make this better....without the NFL forcing your hand. Admit you were stupid, and put some actions behind your words...go talk to 10 drivers Ed classes this fall and tell them how dumb you were.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Huh? 4 lanes? You mean two on each side?

Scottsdale at Chaparral is 3 lanes on each side going North and South.

Chaparral at Scottsdale is 2 lanes on each side going East and it does get more narrow going West.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The "could have" argument is kinda silly when a majority of people have moments in their lives that they think a situation could have gone very bad and by luck it didn't. If he doesn't learn from this then it is something warranting further finger shaking over.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The "could have" argument is kinda silly when a majority of people have moments in their lives that they think a situation could have gone very bad and by luck it didn't. If he doesn't learn from this then it is something warranting further finger shaking over.

Just clarifying why it's an arrestable offense rather than getting a ticket handed to you and being told to continue on your way.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh? 4 lanes? You mean two on each side?

Scottsdale at Chaparral is 3 lanes on each side going North and South.

Chaparral at Scottsdale is 2 lanes on each side going East and it does get more narrow going West.

Two on each side is what a 4 lane highway is defined as. Scottsdale Road is a six lane road.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
A tie with - big deal without knowing the details for those who choose not to jump to conclusions.

Sure, jumping to conclusions without the full facts is also stupid. I'll not say they're equal, because one denotes gross lack of judgment (like, yeah, Leonard Little was just young and made a mistake!) while the other is basic social media/internet silliness.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In theory. We do not have details yet. Dumb may not even be right. He could have been doing donuts in a dirt field for all we know. I don't call that dumb, I'd call that unprepared for/ignorant to big city rules. We'll see.
Instead of "dumb", how about "that guy (as in "don't be that...?"

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In theory. We do not have details yet. Dumb may not even be right. He could have been doing donuts in a dirt field for all we know. I don't call that dumb, I'd call that unprepared for/ignorant to big city rules. We'll see.
Instead of "dumb", how about "that guy (as in "don't be that...?"

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh no - they were inconvenienced and got hit a little in the pocketbook. Hope they recovered from all that they brought on themselves.

Seriously, I hope it was a wake-up call for them and they don't do it again. They could have killed themselves or others and the penalties should reflect that. Plenty of other drivers keep driving drunk until they do hurt or kill someone. Repeat offenders should lose their license forever, IMHO.

We were comparing this to misdemeanor reckless driving. I didn't say I felt sorry for them, or that the penalty is too harsh.

I know your are itching to unload your high and mighty moralizing. I got it. Find someone else to unload on now.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
In an alternate reality I, and I would bet that a lot of you, did things when young that resulted in other's death. We were lucky to get away with it in this universe/reality. I still shudder at the thought of things I did as a teen/young adult that should have resulted in god knows what all. Some of us were very very lucky to get away with no injuries or deaths, not to mention jail time.

My worst was leaving a party in Australia after consuming a few beers. The problem was I didn't drink, and since I just moved there I didn't know that Fosters was more powerful than our weak stuff. I have know memory whatsoever of leaving the party, driving 30 miles home down a two lane coastal highway overlooking the ocean, where in Australia they drive on the opposite side of the road. I woke up the next morning in my bed with all my clothes on except my shoes, which I never did find. How I ever got home in one piece, didn't drive off a cliff or run head on to someone while driving on the wrong side of the little winding road, is still beyond me. Seems like a miracle to this day. As my signature caption below says:

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Just wondering...does being arrested for something like "Reckless Driving" factor into contract language? We don't let players ride motorcycles, or go skydiving.

I don't know if I would feel too bad for Zaven if he just "drove" himself out of some sort of bonus.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Except he wasn’t in a neighborhood and didn’t hit anything. Ifs and butts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose