Zaven Collins arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Was it a bad decision, yes.

Should this be something he learns from, yes.

Could something more serious have happened, yes.

Did something more serious happen, no.

Did anyone get hurt, no.

Is speeding from young men common, yes.

Were drugs and alcohol contributing factors, not disclosed at this point.

I read a lot on here about what could have happened and the facts are that those scenarios did not actually happen. That said, if Zaven doesn't learn from this, it will be a concern.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, pretty disgusted at how people are brushing this off like it's no big deal. The wait and see folks I understand. Everyone else excusing this like it's no big deal, like kids will be kids? Let's just hope none of your loved ones get run over by a "kid just being a kid." Sheesh. This is incredibly stupid and irresponsible. I love to speed while driving. THAT much speeding in that kind of a zone? Nuh uh. No bueno.
most of the posts were made when all we knew was "reckless driving" and no other details.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10:04 a.m maybe no alcohol?
10:04 p.m better chance alcohol was involved.
I'm with the wait & see crowd on this but I do have to agree with Stout & others on this, driving 76 in a 35 is totally stupid. I speed all the time but would never drive that fast in a 35 mph zone.
He's supposed to be incredibly intelligent on the football field & I believe he his. However, sounds like he's not behind the wheel? Again, I'm gonna wait & see, hopefully he wasn't drinking & this teaches him a lesson & thank God no one got hurt.

10am is more likely hungover and just woke up

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By very LARGE tickets, do you mean you get ARRESTED?

In Arizona, excessive speeding is a misdemeanor defined as going more than 20 mph beyond the speed limit or exceeding 85 mph. Reckless driving also is a misdemeanor.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very stupid and he's lucky he didn't hurt/kill anyone. Even on a Sunday morning, that area can be pretty congested. I wonder if the reckless charge is just because of the speed or if he was zipping in and out of traffic at all? Maybe more details will come out.

Personally, I avoid that stretch of road. Take Hayden or Pima if you want to go faster (45 MPH). Or the 101 (65 MPH, but most go 80 MPH). That's the one part of the East Valley that has West Valley speed limits of 35/40 MPH on a main road.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awhile back, I was traveling on a highway on the outskirts of town where the speed limit was about 55 mph when I suddenly entered a school zone area. Wow, I was scared for a moment because I didn't know it was coming and had to drop down to 15 mph in a hurry.

I don't remember seeing any prior notification. It would be frightening to be arrested for something like that.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In Italy if u exceed the speed limit by wide margin (like collins did) u get a ticket about 1500 till 3500 euros and likely license suspended indefinitely and u may need to make the driving exams again

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even then, you're most likely to just get a slap on the wrist. SMH.

First offense minimum penalties are 1 to 10 days in jail, license suspended for three months, about $1500 in fines and blowing into an interlock device to start your car for a year. Judges cannot give sentences lighter than that.

The two people I know who got a DUI did not find that to be a "slap on the wrist".

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Minimizing when you don't know the full extent is worse, tbh. Psh, no big deal without knowing the details.

So, withholding judgement without details is worse than raising hell without knowing details? Whatever you say man.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
So, withholding judgement without details is worse than raising hell without knowing details? Whatever you say man.

LOL No. Saying "it's no big deal" and "he's just a kid" IS making a judgment and completely absolving him of responsibility for wrongdoing BEFORE knowing all the facts. Saying "It's no big deal" and it turns out he had a .30 DUI would be pretty damn stupid in itself, to use a hypothetical.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL No. Saying "it's no big deal" and "he's just a kid" IS making a judgment and completely absolving him of responsibility for wrongdoing BEFORE knowing all the facts. Saying "It's no big deal" and it turns out he had a .30 DUI would be pretty damn stupid in itself, to use a hypothetical.

"Reckless driving" does little for me. Hopefully no alcohol is involved. Outside of that, lesson probably learned. If alcohol was involved, he will miss playing time.[/qoute]

:shrug:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Dude. Reckless driving is a WIDE classification and citing the outliers doesn't change the fact that many, many, many people speed. I doubt there is anybody here that hasn;t, especially when 22 years old and driving the nice new wheels you just picked up with your first check.

I'm all for vilifying those that deserve it but let's not turn a simple driving offense in which nobody was hurt into another "All football players are idiots/evil/privileged" thread.
There’s a difference between going 5 mph over the speed limit and going 5 mph over DOUBLE the speed limit. Trying to lessen the severity of the action thusly is frankly disingenuous and sort of disgusting.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First offense minimum penalties are 1 to 10 days in jail, license suspended for three months, about $1500 in fines and blowing into an interlock device to start your car for a year. Judges cannot give sentences lighter than that.

The two people I know who got a DUI did not find that to be a "slap on the wrist".

Oh no - they were inconvenienced and got hit a little in the pocketbook. Hope they recovered from all that they brought on themselves.

Seriously, I hope it was a wake-up call for them and they don't do it again. They could have killed themselves or others and the penalties should reflect that. Plenty of other drivers keep driving drunk until they do hurt or kill someone. Repeat offenders should lose their license forever, IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose