Your vote on Levi Brown trade

Your vote on the Levi trade to Pittsburgh

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They've been cutting bait on this for so long they could have run a chum line all the way to China. Finally started to go fishing

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Yet another first round failure for Arizona. If they had left him at RT he would have been fine. You think they would have learned their lesson with Leonard Davis.

Just goes to show you how fragile life is in the NFL. Only 9 of last 23 1st-3rd round picks still on the team.

Chainthroer

Registered
Reaction score
I'm ambivalent on this. On one hand, I'm happy it clears up a good amount of cap space for next year, when we can use the money toward another LT. However, with 3/4 of the season still remaining it's somewhat of a gamble. Using him as a backup may have been the better alternative. At this point, we really don't know what's going to happen at LT. So, I guess I'm neutral.

Last edited:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he truly was not responding to coaching or putting forth any effort, good riddance.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Teams that are playing to win NOW are making trades for LT's. Just further evidence that the Cardinals are on the other side of that fence.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
If he truly was not responding to coaching or putting forth any effort, good riddance.

I sure hope that wasn't the case following on the heels of the comments about Mendenhall. That would indicate that Arians, 4 weeks into the season after OTA's, mini camps, and 4 preseason games, still hasn't taken control of the team.

Let's hope is is lack of talent not effort. But dang lack of effort is a familiar refrain with players in Arizona. :bang:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sure hope that wasn't the case following on the heels of the comments about Mendenhall. That would indicate that Arians, 4 weeks into the season after OTA's, mini camps, and 4 preseason games, still hasn't taken control of the team.

Let's hope is is lack of talent not effort. But dang lack of effort is a familiar refrain with players in Arizona. :bang:
Shootski-canning a former first round pick for lack of effort after 4 games seems like decent control, perhaps.

Mendenhall is the next malcontent to go. :)

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Shootski-canning a former first round pick for lack of effort after 4 games seems like decent control, perhaps.

Mendenhall is the next malcontent to go. :)

To me that would be trying to get control not having control. A message to the players that should have been ingrained from day one.

Oh well who knows? At least we won't have to see anymore beating a dead horse pictures after a Buckybird post.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I approve! 10 thumbs up baby :thumbup:

This move allows the Cards to move forward & get better!
My voodoo doll I bought 2 weeks ago in Nawlins worked :D

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me that would be trying to get control not having control. A message to the players that should have been ingrained from day one.

Oh well who knows? At least we won't have to see anymore beating a dead horse pictures after a Buckybird post.
Ya, I agree that if it wasn't in Levi from day one, it probably wasn't going to be.

But getting rid of the guy for a guy who you seem to be able to control seems like restoring control. :)

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Ya, I agree that if it wasn't in Levi from day one, it probably wasn't going to be.

But getting rid of the guy for a guy who you seem to be able to control seems like restoring control. :)

Correct. Trying to restore control. Still just too many reports over the years of Cardinal players not putting in the effort.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Correct. Trying to restore control. Still just too many reports over the years of Cardinal players not putting in the effort.

No coach in the history of ever has had complete effort out of the whole team. They tried to get Levi to try, couldn't do it.

As if it is some kind of surprise that the guy who always waited until game 7 to even block to the whistle consistently is kinda lazy for an OT.

OP
OP
Totally_Red

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I heard Ross Tucker talking about Levi a few weeks ago and he said that while Levi was dominant at Penn State, he had 'terrible technique' and in the NFL was obviously going against superior talent every week. He basically said Levi 'is what he is' at this point and it would be foolish to expect dramatic improvement from coaching. It looks like B.A. and Harold Goodwin came to the same conclusion.

I love the trade on all counts:
Saving the $3.6 in salary to use for extending some of the one-year contracts.
Giving Sowell a shot to see what he has.
Sending a message about giving effort.
Getting a conditional draft choice for someone who was possibly going to be replaced in the starting lineup.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
happy he's gone. unhappy we apparently thought we could last the season with him and did nothing to upgrade the position in the off-season despite a number of decent LT available via either FA or trade.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
happy he's gone. unhappy we apparently thought we could last the season with him and did nothing to upgrade the position in the off-season despite a number of decent LT available via either FA or trade.
Not nothing.

Sowell or whatever his name is.

Coach him up!

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
From Rotoworld:

The compensation will be one or more late-round draft picks. An overrated talent that was consistently short on performance, Brown finally exits the desert seven years after the Cardinals took him fifth overall. He started 79 games, failing to ever become an even moderately effective player. So far this season, Brown has graded out 60th among 72 of PFF's qualifying tackles. That said, he's a slight upgrade on current Pittsburgh LT Mike Adams -- especially in the run game. The 0-4 Steelers can get away from Brown after this season as his guaranteed money will be up, but they're grasping at air here. Beat writer Ed Bouchette calls the trade a "panic move."

Middle tier my pu-toot!

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
From Rotoworld:

The compensation will be one or more late-round draft picks. An overrated talent that was consistently short on performance, Brown finally exits the desert seven years after the Cardinals took him fifth overall. He started 79 games, failing to ever become an even moderately effective player. So far this season, Brown has graded out 60th among 72 of PFF's qualifying tackles. That said, he's a slight upgrade on current Pittsburgh LT Mike Adams -- especially in the run game. The 0-4 Steelers can get away from Brown after this season as his guaranteed money will be up, but they're grasping at air here. Beat writer Ed Bouchette calls the trade a "panic move."

Middle tier my pu-toot!

Win now!

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

+1

Ridiculous. Been watching this dog and pony show for three years.

The justification to "stick with Brown" was horrific, just as bad as bad can be. There was nothing to support that Brown was worth keeping, NOTHING.

Yet, every offseason the Cardinals would forgo trying to find even a "Carson Palmer like" bandaid for the position.

Well, next year they will HAVE TO address the position, unless Sowell comes out of no where, and beats the 100000000000000 to 1 odds on him.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Fun year this is turning out to be, may not be awesome for us, but Keim is doing something.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Like the trade . What are the Cardinals getting in return?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is crazy that a simple move like a trade can restore your faith in a team. This is the best news I could have hoped for.