Your Thoughts on This Mock?

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I have to applaud this guy for the thoroughness and thinking that went into the picks. Many of the picks, imo, are excellent choices. It's a 6 rounder.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=519657

Thought you might enjoy seeing this mock.

He has us trading down from #38, picking up an extra 4th rounder.

Recap:

1. Jonathan Cooper, G, North Carolina
2. Justin Pugh, T/G, Syracuse
3. John Simon, OLB/DE, Ohio St.
4. Montee Ball, RB, Wisconsin
4. J.J. Wilcox, SS, Georgia Southern
5. Dion Sims, TE, Michigan St.
6. Devin Taylor, DE, South Carolina

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If be very mad if we took 2 guards with our first two picks. I think we could do much better in round 2, 3 and 4

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Cooper must be really rising on some boards to be picked over Warmack.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don't like it at all. Pugh's best position is guard. Would hate to draft two guards on the first two rounds.

2013 SENIOR BOWL, TUESDAY: Syracuse offensive tackle Justin Pugh is an intriguing prospect, but thus far through two practices, it has become more evident that his best position is probably inside at guard. He has the mobility and body control to protect the edge, but he has suspect core strength and struggles to properly use his hands to control rushers at the point of attack. Pugh also lacks the length (31.5” arms) and growth potential to convince NFL teams he can stay at left tackle. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree with those who don't want to OG's drafted in rds 1 & 2. Take Jordan at 7 and then go OG in rd2. Rest of the draft looks pretty good.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
What the hell, lets do what we need to do to get both Warmack and Cooper. Then we won't have to rely on our passing game as much. We would have an instant running game to grind out and shorten the game and the score.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
My thoughts:

I like Cooper but not over Warmack. I don't care that "some teams have him rated higher." I personally don't. If we trade down and take Cooper, that's a different story. This mock has Cooper AND Warmack going top 10. I don't see it. 1 G going top ten is a rare event. 2 is unheard of in this era.

I admit I don't know anything about Pugh. Not sure if he'd be an upgrade at OT over Levi/Massie/Potter with G being his natural position.

I like Simon as a player. I'm not sure how he'll do in the 3-4.

Love the Montee Ball pick.

Last 3 picks seem solid.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
I have to applaud this guy for the thoroughness and thinking that went into the picks. Many of the picks, imo, are excellent choices. It's a 6 rounder.

Recap:

I am of the school that believes that the shortest point to the QB is up the middle. (That's how the Giants have been doing it, and it works). That said, I believe that Cooper is the BEST pass protecting Guard in the draft, (I rank him above Warmack). I really like this pick in the first.

I am not quite so sure about the 2nd round pick, (though with Kelemete being as yet an untested pick from last year, and both Colledge and Snyder seeming to have problems at guard, it may just be the safe one for the team). I believe that depth up the middle is where we lack OL strength and continuity. With Snyder and Cooper capable of playing center, we might just find some real competition, (or even a replacement for), Lyle Sendlein. I would not look at this pick as wasted, providing that John Simon is the pass rusher we have been looking for at OLB/DE, in the 3rd round.

In the 4th, Montee Ball has some baggage, but he also plays with a rough edge to him, and he might just be worth the baggage he brings with him. Wilcox certainly brings no baggage, only athletecism, and might be the playmaker we need to replace A-Dub.

In the 5th, I like Dion Simms, and we might finally have found that rare TE that can both block and catch the ball. I doubt his route running, (or even just plain running), abilities, but he is a beast of a blocker, and Lord knows we can use help with speed rushers from the outside. After he blocks down and destroys one that comes around our tackle, defenders might think twice about continuing to take that route to our QB.

I could live with the draft that this guy made for us. He DID give a lot of thought to it, and it is very workable for what our FO wants to accomplish.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
No way, i agree with everyone. This would scare me. I remember when the Cards got Palmer and Keim was on 620, Doug asked him about the draft and Keim laughed and said "I promise you Lane Johnson and Chance Warmack are on our board." Im probably splitting hairs here but the fact that Warmack came to mind first is comforting...

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Recap:

Eh.

Considering the alternative:

1. Wamack > Cooper
2. Warford > Pugh

I dont think an extra 4th is worth 2 possible pro bowlers.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Don't care for this draft at all. Don't like either of the guards for us. Why not Warmack and Long instead.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I haven't really ever heard what kind of OL scheme the Cards are going to be running. Under Whiz and Grimm, there's no doubt that Warmack would be the better fit. I suspect it will be a similar scheme since Whiz and Arians have similar backgrounds but if they go to a zone blocking, pulling, and trapping scheme, I can easily see Cooper being a better fit.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The dude seems really good at uncovering safe, lunch-pail "below the radar" picks, but sometimes your odds of success are better if you pick a couple of "above the radar" guys with your first 2 picks.

I probably could live with Cooper. But Cooper, Pugh (who for some reason became the "flavor of the week" over the past 7 days) and Simon is a bit underwhelming.

Wilcox is another recent hot sleeper prospect moving up the charts. Devon Taylor would be great value with our sixth pick. I can't recall which media analyst it was who mentioned that Ball (a big back) was badly underrated and made a lot of sense for the Cards - but that's probably how Montee made the list.

(Tweet Monitors - Given the number of mentions in this board and elsewhere given Pugh over the past week or so, it makes me wonder which local beat writer picked up some insider information and passed it along).

Last edited:

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'd have no problem taking two guards with the first two picks. Both of those players offer some positional versatility as well. I am so tired of paying decent money to players like Colledge, Snyder, Hadnot, etc. who come in an perform poorly.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I haven't really ever heard what kind of OL scheme the Cards are going to be running. Under Whiz and Grimm, there's no doubt that Warmack would be the better fit. I suspect it will be a similar scheme since Whiz and Arians have similar backgrounds but if they go to a zone blocking, pulling, and trapping scheme, I can easily see Cooper being a better fit.

Exactely.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

I just don't see that happening. I read an article about the Steelers not long ago where they were talking about Pittsburgh going back to the zone blocking scheme that they went away from with Arians.

But then who knows what these guys are going to do? I doubt anyone had any idea the first thing the new regime was going to do was dismantle the secondary.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I just don't see that happening. I read an article about the Steelers not long ago where they were talking about Pittsburgh going back to the zone blocking scheme that they went away from with Arians.

But then who knows what these guys are going to do? I doubt anyone had any idea the first thing the new regime was going to do was dismantle the secondary.

Before Arians, they had Whis and Russ Grimm. Watching 2011 tape, I can say with complete honesty that that there's no chance we ran a zone-blocking scheme under Russ Grimm.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Before Arians, they had Whis and Russ Grimm. Watching 2011 tape, I can say with complete honesty that that there's no chance we ran a zone-blocking scheme under Russ Grimm.

We ran a no blocking scheme under Russ Grimm.