Your thoughts on how far behind we are in our division

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
With the Niners and Seahawks expected to make the playoffs, and even the Rams being at .500 tonight with a 7-7-1 record, where do we truly stand in comparison personnel wise?

IMO, we are pretty much a total offense away. Not only are we missing a QB in comparison to the other 3 teams, we are missing a super RB which all 3 have, and a decent OL. That seems like a ton to me. I know some of us have been thinking all we needed this year is for a qb to step up, but it seems so much much worse than that.

All the other teams in our division are not only improving quickly, they are all on the verge of being very good teams. Except for us, we might just have the 3 toughest teams of any single division next year.

My expectations are getting lower and lower as I see our competition getting better and better.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Until we get a QB who can actually start in the NFL I'm not even going to waste my breath anymore.

WarnerHOF

Registered
Reaction score
In terms of talent

49ers >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Seahawks >>>>> Cards > Rams

The 49ers are probably the most talented team in the NFL with most of their core players locked away for 3-4 years.

The Seahawks have a lot of young players all over the team and will be a solid wildcard team over the next few years.

The Rams are a little less talented than the Cards but will have four first round picks the next two years to build a very good core of blue chip players.

Yeah, the Cards are a bit behind. Trading a kings ransom for a vet QB like Rivers would still make me question whether they would even be better than the 49ers.

Buckybird

Reaction score
I still don't think our defense is as good as the Niners or Hawks

Buckybird

Reaction score
Actually, our defense is pretty on par with them although we're 3rd in that group. Offensively, this team is far behind most Pop Warner teams.

But, our Defense is certainly Playoff quality. I think on a par with them.

Our D gets thrashed in the run game basically week in, week out. Neither one of those 2 do...I think you guys need to put down the koolaid. When I watch a Cards game, our D isn't near as physical or aggressive as those two.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If you can't run the ball and then divide that by not being able to throw the ball, it equals 10 losses in the last eleven games. I don't think Whiz is good at division, or multplication, he looks like a retired bowler.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are simply a true franchise QB away from contending. Nothing more or less.

Minor upgrades on OL and we are set

sundevil04

AZ Cardinals Mortgage Guy
Reaction score
Honestly I don't think we're that far off. Obviously a QB is priority #1, I see Alex smith as our starting QB next year. Even with Smith being just OK, it's a drastic improvement from his year. Next priority would be o line, just having Levi come back is an upgrade, I'd like to see him moved in to guard, but he'll likely be our LT and as much as I dislike him at LT he's a drastic iograde from what we had most of this season. With a move or two through FA and the draft our OL can be above average. With Ryan Williams coming back and hopefully staying healthy we should have an upgrade at RB. I'd also like to see a 3rd round pick used on a back since Wells is likely gone. I think the biggest factor is keeping Horton, if he stays we can compete.

ramfanjoe

Reaction score
I don't think the Cardinals are that far off at all. If there are wholesale changes in the FO and with the coaches it will be interesting to see what kind of changes a new regime deems necessary.

The defense is solid, it's playoff calibre. The offense has obvious holes, but if say if Alex Smith becomes available and the first pick is Luke Joeckel, suddenly the offense seems pretty good to me.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
We need a QB. I think if we had a QB who could manage a drive, the defense would be rested enough to improve on stopping the run significantly in my opinion. Getting a good guard should not be a problem and one alone would do wonders for this line. Running backs that can do well can be found in the mid levels of the draft. This is not impossible, unless a new coach would blow up the whole roster and not use the good players he has already accordingly.

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If you can't run the ball and then divide that by not being able to throw the ball, it equals 10 losses in the last eleven games. I don't think Whiz is good at division, or multplication, he looks like a retired bowler.

Hmmmm I resemble that statement.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are simply a true franchise QB away from contending. Nothing more or less.

uh... EVERY bad team in the league is pretty much a true franchise QB away from contending.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A lot, but look how quickly the Niners, Rams and Seahawks were able to turn around bad situations.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy_Player