Your Day 1 Cardinals grade?

Day one Cardinal's grade?

• Total voters

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Cardinals gained the equivalent of a #2 overall pick in total trade compensation. And that's with picks being valued as #32 overall for the round they were in. That means the future picks could be SIGNIFICANTLY more valuable.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I hope he proves me wrong, but I'm another in the camp who is not enamored at all with Josh Jones, and I think it's dangerous to count on him for starter's minutes at any position other than LT.

I'll disagree with Ouchie a little and give Jones credit for an acceptable performance for several games at LT (which is curious (at least to me) because it was in such stark contrast to his performance at RT, where I thought he was cover-your-eyes bad).

I guess he has some trade value, and could be DJ's back up for this year, but I don't see how he otherwise fits in the Cardinal's long term plans.
I think it’s weird you disagree with me without addressing my reason: he was constantly given help at LT. Constantly.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He was fine. Not a guy I want there long term, but in the near term, Jones offers really good flexibility for both tackle spots. Few teams actually have a swing tackle of his caliber waiting in the wings for an injury.

Now with Paris Johnson, the Cardinals tackle group looks pretty solid on paper.
Actually I think a lot of teams have a swing tackle of exactly his caliber. He’s okay…with help. You need a guy like that, but most teams have one of these guys. He’s not a guy other teams are covering bc they want to make him a starter. He’s a career backup. A fine backup, but that’s pretty much it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Anderson will have to be a generational talent for the trade to be worth it. Like, best in NFL at position for years type of player.

If that pick turns into Marvin Harrison Jr....wow.
Yeah next years draft should be a freaking party for us. A rager. All of ASFN should get together in a giant tailgater and get massively drunk celebrating watching it. We can put cheese in a dunk tank for charity.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Is it strange most are grading this years draft on next year’s possibilities?

On face value, round 1 grade for getting Paris Johnson instead of Anderson is an F.

But we will all be happy when we 2 of the top 7 picks next year and get Marvin Harrison jr.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah… seemed like a running theme for all off-season moves, kinda punting on this draft as far as getting major impact makers and putting a lot of eggs in next year’s basket.
On face value, round 1 grade for getting Paris Johnson instead of Anderson is an F.
Man… coming from a big Buckeye fan, that last sentence is a YIKES.
But we will all be happy when we 2 of the top 7 picks next year and get Marvin Harrison jr.
Yup.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I think it’s weird you disagree with me without addressing my reason: he was constantly given help at LT. Constantly.

Oh, well I did not recall that we had a TE on his side a lot or that we were chipping their DE with our RB, but if you insist that was the case, I won't belabor the point. As I mentioned, and I hope he proves me wrong while he's still a Cardinal, I don't think JJ can contribute very much at all to our efforts to win the division.

Btw, and also, I agree with you Ouchie about avoiding another 3-14 campaign, specifically to max out our draft capital. I think losing is corrosive generally, and considering the excellent job the NFL has done creating parity, if you go 3-14, you're so bad that you're at least two seasons away from contending. I really hope we aren't that bad again next year.

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Disagree. You can't remove the fact that the Cardinals got, at a minimum, something like the #7 overall pick for #3, PLUS they also added a good OL prospect. If the Texans suck, that compensation balloons tremendously. Do you think that the Texans are going to be good? I don't.

Most smart Analysts and scouts I listen to say that Anderson is likely an 8 sack per year guy. He's not a true blue chip talent.
Exactly. Plus the Cardinals will have multiple third rounders to move around with. Imagine walking away with Harrison from the Texans pick? Harrison is SIGNIFICANTLY better than Anderson. It's not even close. It's like comparing a fringe player to a Pro Bowl player. I'm exaggerating, sure, but Harrison has HOF potential. He has Fitz, Megatron, peak Julio potential. Anderson has "he's pretty good, but he's not Von Miller" potential.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Oh, well I did not recall that we had TE on his side a lot or that we were chipping their DE with our RB, but if you insist that was the case, I won't belabor the point. As I mentioned, and I hope he proves me wrong while he's still a Cardinal, but I don't think JJ can contribute very much at all to our efforts to win the division.
I don't remember that either. I think that's more likely to be the "myth".
Btw, and also, I agree with you Ouchie about avoiding another 3-14 campaign, specifically to max out our draft capital. I think losing is corrosive generally, and considering the excellent job the NFL has done creating parity, if you go 3-14, you're so bad that you're at least two seasons away from contending. I really hope we aren't that bad again next year.
Honestly I'd love for the Cardinals to surprise and for the Texans to BLOOOOOW.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't remember that either. I think that's more likely to be the "myth".

Honestly I'd love for the Cardinals to surprise and for the Texans to BLOOOOOW.
Lol. The gameday threads were littered with people pointing it out. I don’t make up stuff to prove any point. By all means continue to believe that jones is a legitimate left tackle

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
He was fine. Not a guy I want there long term, but in the near term, Jones offers really good flexibility for both tackle spots. Few teams actually have a swing tackle of his caliber waiting in the wings for an injury.

Now with Paris Johnson, the Cardinals tackle group looks pretty solid on paper.
Agreed.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Disagree. You can't remove the fact that the Cardinals got, at a minimum, something like the #7 overall pick for #3, PLUS they also added a good OL prospect. If the Texans suck, that compensation balloons tremendously. Do you think that the Texans are going to be good? I don't.

Most smart Analysts and scouts I listen to say that Anderson is likely an 8 sack per year guy. He's not a true blue chip talent.

Exactly. Plus the Cardinals will have multiple third rounders to move around with. Imagine walking away with Harrison from the Texans pick? Harrison is SIGNIFICANTLY better than Anderson. It's not even close. It's like comparing a fringe player to a Pro Bowl player. I'm exaggerating, sure, but Harrison has HOF potential. He has Fitz, Megatron, peak Julio potential. Anderson has "he's pretty good, but he's not Von Miller" potential.
So you just ignore the ones you disagree with? :mrgreen:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
So you just ignore the ones you disagree with? :mrgreen:
Naw the ones talking about him a "blue chip" weren't really breaking down his game.

He has less than ideal size and he relies on speed to power because he doesn't beat people with bend. Let me ask you how effective a guy who doesnt have ideal bulk will be against the elite LTs of the NFL when he can't bend?

I think he'll be good, but not ever in the top 5 edge rushers. When a team offers you the #7 overall pick for a player like that you take that deal 100/100. And the compensation is considered the #7 overall pick in total compensation IF the Texans are giving the #32 pick next year. The compensation could be worth even more.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
So you think the Cards may actually get to 5 wins? hehe
I think they can.

They still have some cap space to spend and the next wave of FA is the period where players don't count against comp pick formula.

Maybe the add center Ben Jones, Yannick Ngakoue, and some rotational DL that fills a hole. It's a possibility.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think they can.

They still have some cap space to spend and the next wave of FA is the period where players don't count against comp pick formula.

Maybe the add center Ben Jones, Yannick Ngakoue, and some rotational DL that fills a hole. It's a possibility.

Texans got 3 wins with Davis Mills. The Colts got 4 with the corpse of Matt Ryan and some other dudes.

We ain't going to win 10 games. But how many we do win really depends on how many games Kyler misses and if he's 2022 Kyler or 2021 Kyler when he does return.

5 wins is possible if he only misses a few games and he plays well. But it's probably pushing the boundaries of what's possible.

I'll settle for 17 high scoring 1 score losses :) If were going to lose it may as well be entertaining.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave